Large cache of early D&D unearthed
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:33 am 

grodog wrote:So Brian, does that mean that you'll still be interested in a set of Outdoor Geos that you can actually look at, and read? :D

Sure would be.  Always need an extra to look through. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:35 am 

bclarkie wrote:
grodog wrote:So Brian, does that mean that you'll still be interested in a set of Outdoor Geos that you can actually look at, and read? :D

Sure would be.  Always need an extra to look through. :wink:

^^

Tim; relating to that other thread, this is what we use for educational reading in case you were wondering. :P

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:52 am 

If something wasn't on the winner's list that was posted does that mean the bids were rejected and it's going on Ebay? ( just curious as I didn't see a winner for the PHB )

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:16 am 

beasterbrook wrote:Would the winners be nice enough to let us know what they went for (always nice to know just how far off the pace you are :wink: )..

Brette:)

I bid quite a lot for the Strategic Reviews.  Over what people have been paying recently.  

What would also be really interesting would be to know who bid for certain stuff.  Was I the only person bidding for them for example?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:27 am 

Wasn't interested in the SR's (got too many already), but I don't mind sharing my lowball losers (rounded so as not to give away my sneaks):

DM Guide    [circa $ 125]
Outdoor Geomorphs    [circa $ 125]
Game Reference Sheets (orange)    [less than $ 100]

Yeah, Lordan, I'm interested in that PH too... as I have a small but interesting collection of 'em (Zeb Cook's, Tom Moldvay's, mine...)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:24 am 

ExTSR wrote:Wasn't interested in the SR's (got too many already), but I don't mind sharing my lowball losers (rounded so as not to give away my sneaks):

DM Guide    [circa $ 125]
Outdoor Geomorphs    [circa $ 125]
Game Reference Sheets (orange)    [less than $ 100]

Yeah, Lordan, I'm interested in that PH too... as I have a small but interesting collection of 'em (Zeb Cook's, Tom Moldvay's, mine...)

I had put in a pretty high bid on the PBH ( IMHO anyways ) - actually had sent in a second bid after my first but didn't hear anything but also didn't see it listed on the winners

The woodie though went for at least $325 ( figured someone would have paid more )

BTW, Thanks again for the dice frank! The guys at the roundtable ( well oval really ) were really in awe. Considering they all ( cept one ) have zero interest in D&D as a collectible, yet have stuff that many here would pay dearly for that does say aquite a bit ( hell they laugh when I tell them what some of their items could fetch ).

I'm working on the display case now and probably finish it when we get back from Florida in a few weeks will post a pick when I do ( still figuring out the lighting though )

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:55 am 

Lordan wrote:still figuring out the lighting though

I've wondered whether those original dice might light up under a black light... maybe as a secondary option (regular normally or switch to blacklite)? Worth a test, at least.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:09 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
Lordan wrote:still figuring out the lighting though

I've wondered whether those original dice might light up under a black light... maybe as a secondary option (regular normally or switch to blacklite)? Worth a test, at least.

I thought about that ( was going to use some halloween lights that are basically "black" Xmas style lights ) Also was looking at this neat little nightlight my sons got. It looks like a fiber-optic lamp from "Spencers Gifts" and not only does the lighting rotate through colors but is very tiny and one of those "lifetime" light sources ( I give it a year tops :) ).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:20 pm 

Came to the board first, just to see what you all were thinking and feeling.

I meant what I said about the thanks.

A couple of you got items for less than I might have gambled to get on eBay, but I wanted them in a good home and to thank the person for help "Above & Beyond".

I'll tell you who you are when I start the e-mail binge. BTW, I'll have Messenger on most of the night; once I get some supper with the wife, I will be reachable both ways. (my e-mail is me)

Anyone that wishes for me to hold on to what you already have in hopes of getting other items, no sweat. Cheaper for and easier for me.

Everything that went was listed. If it wasn't there look for it on eBay. Those will go up tomorrow evening.
Several things were never bid on at all that kind of surprised me. If you saw it on the list, but it showed up on eBay...

Had I not already named the buyers, I would have just listed the winning amounts and let you all obsess and guess. But you guys have been too nice; I couldn't make you go through that... Now, if you were students...

1MT: Figure that I will be back about 75 minutes after this posts.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:22 pm 

God bless all non-gaming wives.

When my lovely bride of 36 years saw what I was selling off, she said something like "Hey, I have one of THOSE!'

to which I replied, "One what, dear?

she answered, "One of those funny pads"

at which point I queried "What kind of pad do you have?"

She brought out from some hidey-hole of hers a bright orange, not goldenrod, pad of 17 sheets  "DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS GAME REFERENCE SHEET". It seems that many years ago she was using the backs as scratch paper.... They say in the lower left 1975 TSR HOBBIES.

I swear to you guys I had no idea...

They will go on e-Bay.

Guidelines, not rules...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:00 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

The above is one of the goodies; there are 16 more.

The Bag of Loot is growing; will have it figured out in a day or two, and see what you think. It will have some real dandies in it.  I am looking forward to raising some $ for my service organization.

Sorry, I screwed up. This link is OK, I think.

Guidelines, not rules...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:40 pm 

Kaskoid wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

The above is one of the goodies; there are 16 more.

The Bag of Loot is growing; will have it figured out in a day or two, and see what you think. It will have some real dandies in it.  I am looking forward to raising some $ for my service organization.

Link doesn't work :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:28 pm 

Sorry, I screwed up some listings. They will all be fixed before the day is out. I fixed some, but couldn't on the ones bid on. As they get bounced, I will repost ASAP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Guidelines, not rules...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:05 pm 

Man did I pick the wrong week to be moving/sans internet  :cry:

Mike

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:19 am 

I am sure that some kind soul here would place a bid for you.  I would be happy to - although you may prefer someone in the USA.  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:17 am 

red_bus wrote:I am sure that some kind soul here would place a bid for you.  I would be happy to - although you may prefer someone in the USA.  :)

*reads other thread*

What Mike means is that he missed Tim Kask's private offers sale because he was away then, but is back now. :(
Yup, not the best of weeks to have been offline.
(By comparison, I missed Frank's glow-in-the-dark dice but nothing else major that I would've wanted to have a shot at).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:39 pm 

You guys collect dice, too?

many eerie chuckles in a very sinster fashion...

Wait til I photo the old box full of bizarre dice that I have.

I even have a trio of icosahedrons manufactured by the Japanese Standards Co in the mid-'70s. These are perfectly balanced, micrometer tolerance dice.

Guidelines, not rules...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:44 pm 

Kaskoid wrote:You guys collect dice, too?

many eerie chuckles in a very sinster fashion...

Wait til I photo the old box full of bizarre dice that I have.

I even have a trio of icosahedrons manufactured by the Japanese Standards Co in the mid-'70s. These are perfectly balanced, micrometer tolerance dice.

about1710.html :wink:

PreviousNext