Large cache of early D&D unearthed
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:08 pm 

Looking to unload lots of old D&D from when I worked there in 70's.

White-box set, 144 pg Dieties, Character Archaic, unopened modules first prints, hardback books from 2-4 printings, old Judges Guild stuff, empty brown box, extra old early small books in VG to mint cond., character record sheets, reference sheets, character records, orig. Rogues Gallery, more.

Where is best market? e-Bay or you? or some other board?

Edited by FoulFoot:  item pictures added

Blackmoor
Book 1
Char Archaic 1
Char Archaic 2
Char Record Sheets 1
Char Record Sheets 2
Deities & Demigods
DMG
Dragonbone 1
Dragonbone 2
Dragonbone 3
Dungeon Floors
Eldritch 1
Eldritch 2
Game Reference Sheets
Greyhawk 1
Greyhawk 2
Greyhawk Reference Sheets
Hex Pad
Monster Manual
Outdoor Geomorphs
PHB
Swords & Spells
White Box 1
White Box 2

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:41 pm 

Heya Kaskoid! (First name not Tim, by any chance? :D)

Pity the bold tags didn't work on the message title.

Would've said private sale might be best for a few items on that list, but possibly shifting slightly onto eBay recently (e.g. for the CA).

If you mean spare woodgrain D&D box (even better if smaller label, per viewtopic.php?t=3685 ), feel free to give me a shout! :)
I know a few people are looking out for various spare early copies of the OD&D books, too. (I suspect those are definitely better private than on eBay judging by a pretty disastrous auction Burnie Bros. had: <$20 for a very decent 2nd print U&WA with a single flaw).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58 pm 

Me I would always suggest the open market...set a reserve and then if it doesn't sell all your out is the insertion fees. Never really understood private sales of items that might be desireable to any size market. I assume if I needed cash in a hurry and was unwilling to wait on the auction periods then I would sell it direct. With Character Archaics going for $400+ on ebay I would go that route. And lets not forget if you have SW modules that empowered has not bought running those through might be like hitting the ebay lotto. I would suggest posting an exact list here (with pictures if possible) of all the items and get some feedback on what each item might go for, most people here are really helpful in giving good advice as to pricing, and then advertising the auctions in the Classified area when/if you run them.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:11 pm 

Marlith wrote:Never really understood private sales of items that might be desireable to any size market.

Because people are often willing to pay more to secure an item plus it cuts out on eBay charges and possibly PayPal charges, too.

For example, I'd agreed a price on an oB3 and the seller was asked to back out of the deal. When it was resold on eBay the final amount of money in their pocket was $200 or so less than my original offer.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 pm 

Email sent, Kaskoid :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:14 pm 

Kaskoid wrote:Looking to unload lots of old D&D from when I worked there in 70's.

White-box set, 144 pg Dieties, Character Archaic, unopened modules first prints, hardback books from 2-4 printings, old Judges Guild stuff, empty brown box, extra old early small books in VG to mint cond., character record sheets, reference sheets, character records, orig. Rogues Gallery, more.

Where is best market? e-Bay or you? or some other board?

This is the place, come up with a detailed list and you will be very surprised at some of the offers!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:18 pm 

faro wrote:
Marlith wrote:Never really understood private sales of items that might be desireable to any size market.

Because people are often willing to pay more to secure an item plus it cuts out on eBay charges and possibly PayPal charges, too.

For example, I'd agreed a price on an oB3 and the seller was asked to back out of the deal. When it was resold on eBay the final amount of money in their pocket was $200 or so less than my original offer.

Given what they have been selling for the last few times I saw one that had to be a mighty fine offer then. I guess I only see myself willing to make those sorts of offers with people I have an established history with and/or have seen the item personally.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:50 pm 

Marlith wrote:Given what they have been selling for the last few times I saw one that had to be a mighty fine offer then. I guess I only see myself willing to make those sorts of offers with people I have an established history with and/or have seen the item personally.

Different approach, I guess.

No, nothing like as much as they were selling for a few years ago (even more over-valued, then).
I'd recently missed out on another three or four, including a couple to BIN attempts and was beginning to get frustrated so I made a somewhat overkill offer whilst another auction was going on (:oops:).

For many of the popular items, it's safe to say there are people who'd pay that bit extra to pick up the deal.
And what good is it having someone willing to pay $150 when the next highest bid in an eBay auction might be $90, say?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:00 am 

faro wrote:
Marlith wrote:Given what they have been selling for the last few times I saw one that had to be a mighty fine offer then. I guess I only see myself willing to make those sorts of offers with people I have an established history with and/or have seen the item personally.

Different approach, I guess.

No, nothing like as much as they were selling for a few years ago (even more over-valued, then).
I'd recently missed out on another three or four, including a couple to BIN attempts and was beginning to get frustrated so I made a somewhat overkill offer whilst another auction was going on (:oops:).

For many of the popular items, it's safe to say there are people who'd pay that bit extra to pick up the deal.
And what good is it having someone willing to pay $150 when the next highest bid in an eBay auction might be $90, say?

I can see your point. Not sure if the $60 price difference is an accurate portrait of the market. If everyone else is getting out at $90 and someone does bid $150 I would suspect that in most cases the $150 was a I will have at any cost type bid and you can't guarntee that even in a private sale environment. I find that unless something really slips through the cracks that they seem to go for a price fairly close to what the market will bear. I suspect when the items do fall through the cracks it is because of poor marketing. Hence the suggestion to adverstise your auction here if it an item of any sort of value and the use of pictures. And using eBay does not rule out private sales. How many good items have gone off the radar with the "Item is no longer available" tag on eBay and we get required all right who made an offer the couldn't refuse here.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:14 am 

Marlith wrote:
faro wrote:And what good is it having someone willing to pay $150 when the next highest bid in an eBay auction might be $90, say?
I can see your point. Not sure if the $60 price difference is an accurate portrait of the market. If everyone else is getting out at $90 and someone does bid $150 I would suspect that in most cases the $150 was a I will have at any cost type bid and you can't guarntee that even in a private sale environment.

I was actually referring to one of my own eBay wins, there.
OK, I might only have offered $120, but my snipe was set at ~$150 and the win around $95.

Or, say, this one where I'd happily have offered the seller 50% more before the sale, privately (and my snipe was over double the final price).

Marlith wrote:Hence the suggestion to adverstise your auction here if it an item of any sort of value and the use of pictures.

Yes, it never hurts to have pics prior to either type of sale!

(My offer on that oB3 was blind, too... :roll:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:19 pm 

Here is a list of TSR/D&D stuff. Also have some Judges Guild I'm sorting out; Thunderhold, City State, etc.

Deities & Demigods                144pg        1st Ed                VG
Dungeon Mater's Guide                1st. Ed.                G-VG
Monster Manual                        2nd Ed.                G-VG
AD&D Players Handbook                1st Ed.                G-VG
Monster Manual                                        2nd Edit.                G-VG
Monster Manual                                        2nd Edit. Yes, 2        G-VG
White Box Tactical Studies Rules        With Charts  Not ripped but 3 corners loose
                All three nearly Mint               
               Men & Magic 1st Ed.
               Monst. & Treas. 3rd Print. April 1975
               Under. & Wilder. 4th Print Nov. 1975
Eldritch Wizardry                1st Print. 1976                VG
Greyhawk                                8th Print Feb. 1978                VG
Men & Magic                4th PrintnNov. 1975               Near Mint
Empty Woodgrain box             broken corner and duct-taped corner        Fair
3 Sheets Orange/Yellow        Game Charts                Good
AD&D Permanent Character Folder & Ad, Records '79                G-VG
Non-Player Character Records 1979                        G-VG
D2  Shrine of the Kuo-Toa        1st Print        1978                G-VG
D3 Vault of the Drow                1st Print        1978                G-VG
S1   Tomb of Horrors "Deluxe Set"        Original                G-VG       
C1        Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan        Original                G-VG
G1        Steading of the Hill Giant Chief MINT Still shrink-wrapped
G2        Glacial Rift…Jarl                                VG
G3        Hall of the Fire Giant King                        VG
AD&D Dungeon Masters Screen        1979                        VG
AD&D Character Ref. Sheets   2nd Ed.                        VG
Outdoor Geomorphs  MINT still Shrink-wrapped                Mint
Monster & Treasure Ass't. Levels 1-9                        VG
Rogues Gallery        1980 1st Ed                        G-VG
Character Archaic        1st Printing       
Two sheets used, six extra pgs. loose Extra back Cover                VG
Grey Pad                Character Records                        VG
Goldenrod pad Game Ref. Sheet                                G-VG
Orange Pad        Game Ref. Sheet                        G-VG
THE STATEGIC REVIEW         Never folded, never mailed
                  #s 1, 2(2 ea), 3, 4(2 ea), 5, 6(2 ea), The Last
Hex Pad
Dragon Magazine:        20, 22, 33(X2) 73, 74, 76, 79,
Dragontales
Best of the Dragon Vol.s 1 & 2
The Fineous Treasury
Little Wars        #s 1, 7, 11 &12 Never mailed                        VG

Not being a book dealer, I use a scale of MINT, VG,G,Fair.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:29 pm 

Any chance of some pictures? :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:05 pm 

Heya again, Tim,

Thanks for the summary list.

Yup, there are a good number of items there which should do rather well - some of which might not be the ones you'd expect!
(for example, not the 1st print Rogue Gallery, I suspect).

..."Grey Pad Character Records"??

Looking forward to seeing any pics.

=
btw. Did you not keep a stack of Dragon #1s, though? :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:19 pm 

I will provide pictures upon request on any of this stuff after Fri.; my spouse has my digital camera visiting grandkids in MS.

Yes, first name Tim.

Character Archaic is the first one without reference to TSR.

If you want to correspond on any of these, send direct to [email protected]

Toodles[/b]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:00 pm 

I would definitely ebay them. I'm sure you will be very pleased with the outcome.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:22 pm 

Lordan wrote:I would definitely ebay them. I'm sure you will be very pleased with the outcome.

I agree, ebay them for sure.

Would love to see additional pics/confirmation of the 1st print Character Archaic...now the 2nd known to exist if comparison points check out.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:00 pm 

Just what are the comparison points? I used your group's description and another site called Tome of Treasues. I think it's the real deal. Two pages are written on--two of my old characters. And I have extra loose pages and the second back cover with the reference to TSR. This is most likely the one they sent to TSR for "approval"; I did that kind of stuff (a big bunch of Judges Guild stuff) for a couple of years as we tried to keep D&D relatively on one track and sort of "pure".

I also have what I believe is a set of pre-rolled characters used in Tournaments. We would make up a group of twelve ready-mades, and the contesting teams used the (usually) nine they wanted.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:09 pm 

Kaskoid wrote:Just what are the comparison points?

This thread of Jeff's.
There may have been other minor variations by the time TSR was hooked in, although that date may have been earlier than the May/June 76 we'd been wobbling towards given that it's on the stock list of an early SR (can't find my thread at 4.10am *g*).
Kaskoid wrote:This is most likely the one they sent to TSR for "approval";

That was what I was hoping for. Neat! :cool:

Next