By Crom !
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:43 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:I have a oversized REH bib book or some such, can't remember what its called.. someone here may remember..

Brette:)

If it's sort of a big, honking, unwieldy-looking thing, I'd guess you've got "The Last Celt" by Glenn Lord. An excellent reference work, and always good for an eBay sale, if you get into desperate straits.

If it's a normal-sized trade paperback, it's probably "Dark Valley Destiny" by DeCamp, DeCamp's wife, and some 200-year-old child psycholgist that they unearthed to help them "prove" that REH had mommy issues. It's always good for kindling, if it gets cold there.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:03 pm 

zhowar wrote:
ColPladoh wrote: Faforite REH Story
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First to post!

Mine is "Red Nails," for the the setting and content. Perhaps the two Swine-posters might enjopy stalking each other in that labyrinthine construction...

Heh,
Gary

there you are! what more can i say :) great minds think alike!!! :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:24 pm 

I always knew I was psionically linked with Einstein!
I just finished reading Conan the Rebel for the 100th time. It finally occurred to me that it has all the elements of a great module or D&D session. Magical items, various NPC's, heroic but realistic quest. And babes!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:13 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I always knew I was psionically linked with Einstein!
I just finished reading Conan the Rebel for the 100th time. It finally occurred to me that it has all the elements of a great module or D&D session. Magical items, various NPC's, heroic but realistic quest. And babes!

oh yeah, the babes - all important ingredient :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:37 pm 

I have been reading Conan since probably around eight grade (1977). After reading The Hobbit and LOTR I was constantly in search of good sword & sorcery style fiction. Like BTB, I collected the comics including Savage Sword and Conan Saga.

However, nothing compares to the original Howard works. Many adaptations are good, but there is something about sitting down with that battered paperback.

I also like the nonConan Howard stuff. His old west stories are great, and I also like the Lovecraftian works, too. You can pick up various collections and the like at any used book store for next to nothing.

Than said, I am not much of a fan of the nonHoward Conan books. L. Sprague has some decent works, but anything else pales.

I like the Conan "Universe" much better than LoTR, too. Even though I read The Hobbit and LoTR cover to cover every few years, it is severely lacking in the facets that make it a good fantasy universe. The Elf factor is a way too high.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:49 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I like the Conan "Universe" much better than LoTR, too. Even though I read The Hobbit and LoTR cover to cover every few years, it is severely lacking in the facets that make it a good fantasy universe. The Elf factor is a way too high.

Fighting the urge to scream blasphemer...

I can agree on the point if you wanted to have a world that one could adventure in. I would have to say that Hyboria or even Moorcocks Young Kingdoms are more adventure friendly. If you have issues with elves than LotR would be a problem prior to the destruction of the Ring and the ushering in the Age of Man.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:56 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Thanks everyone for all the great recommendations.  I will have to peruse a few Half-Price Book stores this weekend and see what I can find.

Checked out two stores yesterday...not one book by Mr. Howard.  I am going to try one more store today and then start looking at Amazon.  This may be more difficult that I thought.  :wink:

I thought about it too.  But I guess some people like elves more than others.  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:17 pm 

hey KOP

the older conan books, that has the REH material in, crop up on ebay all the time. you can generally snap them up for very little i have found.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:38 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:Thanks everyone for all the great recommendations.  I will have to peruse a few Half-Price Book stores this weekend and see what I can find.

Checked out two stores yesterday...not one book by Mr. Howard.  I am going to try one more store today and then start looking at Amazon.  This may be more difficult that I thought.  :wink:

I thought about it too.  But I guess some people like elves more than others.  :P

Hey King, last time I checked out the Lewisville HPB, they were stocking a couple of the new Del Rey versions of Conan (I believe they had the first two volumes, The Coming of Conan for sure).  If you can't get by there let me know, I can try to pick them up for you...

Mike B.

Previous