Black Ridge Island
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:33 pm 

I take it The Deck of Many Things was a licensed fanzine then? I haven't heard of it, but then I don't know much about fanzines.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:01 pm 

In a similar vien, Kent Krumvieda is an experienced tournament DM, and has been fine tuning Loki's Wine, the Ghengis Con tourney for the eoght of the past nine years. He is now selling copies, along with his Tarracina city state and the Terror in Tarracina tournament.

The tourneys are very complexed and require a good DM to run them well, but they are well worth the money. The City State is his inhouse campaign setting. You'd probably be better off with a Judges Guild city state unless you're a collector and a completist at that.

You'll find his website link on Afterglow2 under 'Future Collectables'.

If you know someone who is publishing and deserves recognition, PM me.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:16 pm 

I've got copies of all three of Ben's adventures, as well as Kurt/dreamborn's. Kurt's look quite good, but I haven't been able to read them in depth yet.  Ben's look interesting, but I'm reserving judgement on them until I've finished reading---they seem a bit railroady on a first read.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:59 am 

IMO Kent's work on the two tourneys reflects his experience as a tourney DM. The to modules probably won't work as well outside of the tourney gameplay environ, and they both need very experience DMs.

Ben Burns' work can be played by anyone and can be adapted to suite whatever campaign you play. It has more flexibility built in. And they're cheep as chips.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:13 am 

Can't argue with the price, that's for sure.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:25 am 

Received all 3 of Ben's modules the other day.

To me they are a bit on the linear side, but very good for the starting DM.

There's no reason why the "discourage players from going off the path" directive can't be ignored for the more 'advanced Dm's / players. And allowing the Island to be explored.

Thought they were very well thought out and enjoyed the read.

Also, as mentioned, you can't beat the price, and it's good support for someone getting out there and putting out the stuff with a bit of the original flavour.... TM discussion aside.

Can't really go wrong with buying them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:09 am 

Ben has been playing his campaign world for more than 10 years. I understand he has a wealth of info but you have to restrict what you publish in order to keep focussed and complete the project. Otherwise you'd be writing for ever and maybe never get completed.

For their size and price bracket I think they're a splendid investment.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:23 am 

Agree totally.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:32 pm 

You should try Kent Krumvieda's stuff then. Start off with Terror in Tarracina or Loki's Wine. They'll give you a flavour of what his writing is like. They are tourney's mind you.

Do a search on eBay for Tarracina or Loki's Wine.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:56 pm 

Kent's stuff is under the dreamborn userid on eBay.  

I emailed with Ben and he has several additional modules in the works, both related to and independant of the Black Ridge Island series.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 pm 

I know this thread is 5 years old.  But I finally got back around to D&D after a several year break of doing other gaming.

I have just released a new module for Black Ridge Island, BR-4 Oh Rats!!

You can find your own copy here:
http://www.indyplanet.com/store/product ... ts_id=6014

Original art, new spells, new monsters, new monster special abilities and a whole lot more.  A wealth of information to run either a 1 off module or a whole free lance campaign.  

I hope you guys enjoy it.  

Ben Burns

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 pm 

Hi Ben,

For those of us that unfortunately missed BR1-3, is there anywhere we can pick this up?

Thanks,
Jorge

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:45 pm 

Hey Ben.

Be sure to bring some of those to NTRPGCon in June.  I'll buy one for sure.  And if you have any of the previous ones, I'll buy them too.  :)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:26 am 

Hi Ben,

will you ship oversea? :)

Thanks!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:42 pm 

@Jorge,  Yea Doug from NTRPGcon has printed up a compilation that has BR1-3 in 1 small booklet.  I can get the info on where to order one if people are interested.

@Pain, yea I'll have BR-4 there in June 2012.  It was the module I ran Sat night in June of this year.  We had a blast but didn't get through it all.  
Afterwards the players said it was one of the toughest challenges they have ever faced.  It is not for the faint of heart.  A dumb party will almost certainly get wiped out.

And Doug has had copies of BR1-3 compilation for sell there since 2010.  

@loki, yea I'll ship overseas.  So will the printers but I've heard they charge a lot for overseas shipping.  I have a few for sell.  So just send me a PM and we can work it out.  

Thanks guys.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 pm 

@Jorge,  Yea Doug from NTRPGcon has printed up a compilation that has BR1-3 in 1 small booklet.  I can get the info on where to order one if people are interested.

Thanks Ben, I definitely would be interested in buying a printed copy of BR1-3, any info on how to get it would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jorge

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 pm 

BenTheRat wrote:And Doug has had copies of BR1-3 compilation for sell there since 2010.

Must have missed them sitting next to all those copies of Palace of the Vampire Queen, The Dwarven Glory, and The Strategic Preview.  :wink:

I'll be sure to look for them next year.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:10 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Must have missed them sitting next to all those copies of Palace of the Vampire Queen, The Dwarven Glory, and The Strategic Preview.  :wink:

I'll be sure to look for them next year.

The BR1-3 booklet has a rather plain black-on-white cover with a line drawing of a sailing ship.  The cover says "BRI-1", but the booklet contains all three of the Black Ridge Island modules.

PreviousNext