To autograph or not to autograph
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Poll: Should an item be autographed if given the option

Yes, definitely, sign ! sign ! 72%       72%  [ 21 ]
No ! Never ! Defiler of pure things, DIE DIE! 28%       28%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 29

Author


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 03, 2021
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:39 am 
 

After having just purchased Frank's DM pre-pub copy of R1 I'm faced with a bit of a quandry.



http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... ZbsQQfviZ1



Frank's offer to personally autograph the item.(Thanks for the offer  :D )



I'll decide over the next few days but I'm throwing it open to comment, is it better to have an item autographed, or keep it pristine? What, if any, would the effect be on it considering the other playing copies have been authorised already (Acaeum description on R1).



I remember a similar topic about autographs being discussed quite a while ago but thought I'd get a fresh opinion.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 561
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: Cape Cod

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:44 am 
 

Without a doubt. when I win something from him I doing it for sure :)

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 671
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 13, 2019
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:52 am 
 

Autograph.

 ICQ  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 530
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 02, 2021
Location: Lille, France.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:56 am 
 

Autograph.

BTW : what did finally happen with the R & RPGA series you bought some months ago? Good surprise? I hope that everything was fine  :)

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 29, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:05 am 
 

I know I am bucking the trend of what most others probably think but I would be hesitant to want Frank to autograph it.  If it was mine, I would love to have him sign a letter that went along with it verifying its authenticity instead.  Now if it was a copy of TOEE, then no problem...sign away.

The reason I have this mindset is because I am a comic book collector.  I would never have a creator sign an expensive, priceless comic because it would certainly devalue it IF it didnt have a letter of authenticity.  I have had creators sign numerous comics that are less than say $10 or $15 dollars and have no problem with that.

Just my opinion obviously.  Feel free to lob whatever large objects my way that you have handy.  :P

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 561
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: Cape Cod

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:15 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:The reason I have this mindset is because I am a comic book collector.  I would never have a creator sign an expensive, priceless comic because it would certainly devalue it IF it didnt have a letter of authenticity.  


I do agree with your point but I feel in years to come as we all croak ( hopefully later than sooner ) these items will become far less desireable and the signature will probably have little impact on it.This thinking ( of mine ) is the main reason I wouldn't dump 3K or something on an item unless I was buying it solely for personal enjoyment, I just don't feel the market will be much of one when we are gone and buying for investment reasons doesn't seem the right way to go.

Hopefully I'm dead wrong because my kids will be cashing in some gems :D

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 25, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:29 am 
 

I like the letter idea!  I have never been a fan of signed stuff, very hard to prove its even a real signature.

J


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:50 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I know I am bucking the trend of what most others probably think but I would be hesitant to want Frank to autograph it.  If it was mine, I would love to have him sign a letter that went along with it verifying its authenticity instead.  Now if it was a copy of TOEE, then no problem...sign away.

I would ask for the autograph and a letter of authenticity, if Frank doesn't mind.  That way you can "prove" that the autograph is authentic.

I don't ask for the autographs for investment purposes; for me, autographs are something personal.  I had Steve Jackson autograph a Mox from M:TG at a convention.  Why?  Because I could! :D  I traded my M:TG cards in for RPGs many years ago, so that Mox may still be floating around.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6492
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 pm 
 

I would say, yes. Clearly, in an unobtrusive place, and with no endorsement. No 'To Philip. Thanks for the use of your wife.' Just a signature. And for the purposes of authentication, a photograph of said singatory signing said item.



On the subject of signed items... Here's a copy of Fluffy Quest...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1


This week I've been mostly eating . . . gummy bears.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 210
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 25, 2018
Location: Northeast

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:56 pm 
 

I would have this particular item autographed for a couple reasons.  1.  Because it's a photocopy, not original manuscript.  2.  Becuase the pre-pub versions were also autographed, and 3. because it's from his personal collection/archive.  

To me, the signature would add an element of authenticity.  I also agree I'd request a notarized letter from Frank as well.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 530
Joined: Feb 25, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 02, 2021
Location: Lille, France.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:24 pm 
 

a2jeff wrote:  I also agree I'd request a notarized letter from Frank as well.

:lol:
Don't forget to ask for a DNA authentification.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:33 pm 
 

Ask Frank to sign it.  Is he going to include a "proclamation" as well?  If so, that should serve as authentication, even though you, of course, don't need it.

Congratulations on the win, by the way!

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1178
Joined: Nov 07, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 30, 2021
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:07 pm 
 

I say yes.  Frank has been nice enough to sign stuff for me at the GenCon auction a couple times  :D



 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1862
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 pm 
 

You got that one really cheap, dude. It's much rarer than the numbered/signed ltd. edition versions that we did a few months later, at GenCon East.

But when you spend that kinda money you can have whatever you want. I'll autograph it "Richard M. Nixon" if you choose.  ::retch::

Personally I usually prefer not to have autographs on rare items, but the ghouls are right, we're not gonna last forever, and there's a limited time to get my scribble. If you want the actual piece signed, tho, then I'd suggest that it not be dated or personalized, merely signed.

(My scepticism over the alleged value of my autograph is mitigated somewhat by the demand; I've gotten lots of requests from buyers and am happy to comply. otoh, at GenCon I call such an item 'defaced'.)

Default: Included would be my standard certificate of authenticity ("Persiflagous Panegyrical Proclamation", signed and dated, and with your name on it too). (You don't get those for my mundane junk on eBay, btw. Don't ask. But I'll sign the shrinkwrap on common items, if requested.)

F

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1738
Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 27, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:43 pm 
 

congratulations on the win. since frank wrote that you got it cheap, and i was the second-high bidder, i wonder if he`s chiding me for not going higher... ( please bring one to gencon frank so i can have another go! )     anyway, i would definitely have frank sign it. he`s been very kind in autographing some rare tomes of his creation, and whenever i look at them and see his signature there i`m reminded of the happiness i felt when he signed it.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 03, 2021
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:30 am 
 

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.
I especially wanted to get some feedback in case I had it autographed and ended up with a lynch mob on my doorstep 8O

Having read everyone's comments, I'll go ahead and ask Frank if you could sign it - please (same place as the others) and possibly write "DMs Copy" where the others were numbered- but definitely excluding "my name" and "thanks for use of the wife", I don't think my wife would quite see the funny side of that one :lol: (BTW is Dick nixy your alter ego? :twisted: )

The certificate also sounds like a good idea if possible.

I don't really buy for the investment side of it - more the cool idea of re-living the past. It'll be great to say I purchased it straight from the author. But if the value is astronomical when I do start rolling dice after my universe has ended (see Futurama), my children will be laughing.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 03, 2021
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:43 am 
 

Le Rahib wrote
BTW : what did finally happen with the R & RPGA series you bought some months ago? Good surprise? I hope that everything was fine  


I was very pleased when they arrived. :D

The R1 shrink was nearly perfect with only 2 corners peeking through by a couple of millimetres (looks a lot worse in the picture - the scrunched bit looks torn and loose but actually isn't and is still intact)

R2 perfect with no 'peeking' - completely sealed. R3 the most disappointing - split on 2 sides so you can basically take the module out.

Shrink looks original for all items.

Others very good with very few if any creases or marks of any kind.

For those still curious, I had also picked up one of Lumberjaques' Tsojconths - a friend had to grab it for me as I wasn't too sure of using a sniper program then and had to work. Max bid just went a bit higher than thought - thanks bombadil (jka) :x  :lol: Our 2 bids were the only ones to take it above $900.

Stratochamp wrote:
congratulations on the win. since frank wrote that you got it cheap, and i was the second-high bidder, i wonder if he`s chiding me for not going higher... ( please bring one to gencon frank so i can have another go! ) anyway, i would definitely have frank sign it. he`s been very kind in autographing some rare tomes of his creation, and whenever i look at them and see his signature there i`m reminded of the happiness i felt when he signed it.


Thanks for not going any higher, and there you go Frank an eager bidder for the other one :D

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:08 pm 
 

AdderMcOne wrote:For those still curious, I had also picked up one of Lumberjaques' Tsojconths - a friend had to grab it for me as I wasn't too sure of using a sniper program then and had to work. Max bid just went a bit higher than thought - thanks bombadil (jka) :x  :lol: Our 2 bids were the only ones to take it above $900.


Yeah, sorry about that.  I did feel a twinge of guilt.  Were you happy with the Tsojco?

  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2