Compleat books
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:23 am 

I have another large auction load coming up in the next couple days. I have three of the Sechi "Compleat" books going in.

I've seen them from time to time but I have not monitored prices. What do they go for? I like to put BINs on all my auctions, so that is my reason for the question.

I have the Alchemist, Spell Caster and Adventurer supplements.
They are interesting, I'll give them that.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:42 am 

I'd really like to see a shift in the prices of these. They have great pedigree -- Bard's line being purchased by WotC, but then dropped from the production schedule because all the company resources went into MtG. They're interesting, well-written, imaginative, and of high physical quality.

Unfortunately at GenCon we've found that they're underappreciated and often go cheap. :( Not that they're Common, but they're not Rare, either, and with insufficient publicity to attract speculative users.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:21 am 

They first edition (white covers) are a little rarer than the coloured covers. I'd put the set on as a complete set and leave it to run its course and see what you get. I'd probably go to $30 on a set in good condition, and I'd be more inclined towards a 2nd Edition set, 'cos I already have a 1st edition set.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:03 pm 

They are the first edition set with white covers. Did a little research after my post and I'll just try and move them as a lot. I'll put a bin on around $20 or so.
Thanks, Bill

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:14 pm 

bbarsh wrote:They are the first edition set with white covers. Did a little research after my post and I'll just try and move them as a lot. I'll put a bin on around $20 or so.
Thanks, Bill

I usually BIN a set around the $15.00 mark with a $9.99 opening bid.  They tend to only bring in around $4 - 5 individually (and sometimes need to be listed 2-3 times at that).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:30 pm 

I agree with Frank.  The character types in Spell Caster are well thought out, especially the witch.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:57 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote: They tend to only bring in around $4 - 5 individually (and sometimes need to be listed 2-3 times at that).

I got mine for these prices. I never seen them going for more than $10, even first prints.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:05 pm 

I actually think that the first prints are easier to find than the second prints.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:44 am 

Just received another full set of these from a purchase. Both sets compared appear to have been well looked after and to have not seen very much use or handling.

The 'Compleat Spellcaster' and 'Compleat Adventurer' appear to be different printings to the ones I have, with the 'Compleat Alchemst' the same as my other copy.

Some differences on the Spellcaster and Adventurer I have noticed are:

Both sets have white-ish covers, one slightly off-white but not by much.

One has pages bound by two staples on the spine, the other with pages glued to the spine, making it appear thicker than the first when held side by side.

The artwork and writing on the stapled copy appears to have stronger colours making the letters/artwork appear very slightly thicker.

Both have the same number of 'numbered pages' - 42 for Spellcaster, 41 for Adventurer.

Opposite last pages in each are:
Stapled copy: Full page adverts for all 3 books
Glued copy: Full page advert for 'Atlantis', and the 'Atlantian Trilogy'.
Glued copy also has flyleaf in back after this, whereas stapled has advert directly onto inside of back cover.

Same ISBNs and other numbers on outside covers of both types, and in the same positions. On glued copy there does appear to be a smallish number in bottom left hand corner on outside of border (on the glued copies I have the number has been blacked out, with only very small parts visible so I can't tell what it is).

From a cursory glance inside the covers of both sets of books the info appears to be the same, and in the same place in both. No printing information is there to say which came first, however.

Anyone know what the print order may be?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:00 pm 

I wasn't aware that WotC had published any other Bard Games books beyond "The Complete Alchemist."

Semi-relatedly, the Primal Order books often go for a decent price, too, and they're as equally useful (if not moreso, if you've got a lot of planar travel in your games).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:13 pm 

grodog wrote:I wasn't aware that WotC had published any other Bard Games books beyond "The Complete Alchemist."

Semi-relatedly, the Primal Order books often go for a decent price, too, and they're as equally useful (if not moreso, if you've got a lot of planar travel in your games).

They published some Talislanta books:
The Talislanta Guidebook
Tales of Talislanta
The Archaen Codex
The Scent of the Beast
Talislanta Geographica
Thystram's Collectanea
Quantrigue
Sarista
Sub--Men Rising (this is the rare one and also the last book they did for the line)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:58 pm 

grodog wrote:I wasn't aware that WotC had published any other Bard Games books beyond "The Complete Alchemist."

I have a copy of Atlantis The Lost World which compiles Lexicon and Bestiary with a sticker that says distributed by WotC.  I'm guessing that they just put on the stickers to old Bard Games stock.