Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:33 am 

Here we go again..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44112

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:17 pm 

Heh, I'm probably going to end up bidding on this (assuming it doesn't go TOO high)...  well, consider, there are 23 cards here.  The average amount appears to be $10 (I'd put it at $6 for Creation cards and between $10-25 for general purpose cards, which can also be used in Living Greyhawk games, and will still probably be usable in RPGA play in 2 years once Green Regent ends).  So, based on those figures, its not such a bad tradeoff.  Nobody knows really what the promos are worth...  the most recent one, released at GenCon, sold for $30 before the con and now isn't even fetching $10 in some instances.  The only thing making me pause about sinking that much money into it is I've already acquired 3/4's of the cards for not too horribly much, and I've got some extras to boot.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:13 am 

Dang Shaun, You tore that auction up.  :D Do you think they are gonna hold value? They seem to have a lot of bidders. Lots of unfamiliar names in the usual collecting circles. Do you think they are mostly 3e gamers?

Later.

Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:36 am 

Probably not the series 1's...  I'm probably going to trade my remainders away when the next series is out for ones that I still need.

I figure it this way...  you have to play something like 10-20 RPGA events per 3 months to get ONE card.  I think the value of the cards is largely driven by usablity...  the Greyhawk triads allow most of the general use cards, so they have cross-game appeal, and will probably still be useable after Legacy of the Green Regent ends.  I've also been having a hell of a time getting some of the promo cards (which I now have a few extras of).  Since they were Con goodies, they might be worth something later on.  Ultimately, I looked at it this way:  to get all those cards, I'd have to play about 40 hours of sanctioned RPGA games per card AT LEAST.   I don't make a ton of money at my job, but I can work a fraction of that in overtime and pay that kind of cash for a good chunk of the cards.  With 23 cards, it came out to about $9/card...  not bad at all.

Overall though, I see their value declining in the short term...  but I think in 10-20 they might accrue nicely.  To be brutally honest, I was sick and tired to trying to email people who wouldn't respond or who wanted $30/card to make up the 8 or so I needed to have a so-far complete set.  At least this way I've got something in the way of trading collateral for more cards.  And like I said before, I'm a MAJOR FR buff, and this is one more set of goodies for me ;)

Plus, I'm actually going to try and play in Green Regent, and I like to have my options open  8)