re-bending...
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:53 pm 

So, here I have a nice hardcover book.  The problem is that it has a bend in the cover.  When it sits flat - the cover bends up slightly - about 1/4 of an inch.  I don't know if this is something which was a manufacturing fault, or if it was bent by the previous owner.  It is otherwise mint - and still has that great new book smell.

So - does anyone know if there is anything i can do?  If I lay it flat and pile a load of books on top of it - will it likely flatten out?  (I could always try) Or, is there something else you would recommend I do to bend it back?

Any and all suggestions gratefully receieved   :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:37 am 

The only real way to remove "bend memory" is to over-bend in the opposite direction.  Be warned, this can lead to some relaxing of the cover material but generally it works just fine.  Determine where the curvature/bend starts and slowly bend the book in the opposite direction using that location as the center for the bending process.  Don't be too aggressive initially.  After bending, lay it flat and see if you have made any progress.  Continue this until the bend is eliminated.  For wrinkling or spine bow you can also apply a lot of pressure, over time, but chances are it will not eliminate all of it.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:39 am 

much obliged!  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!