Value of Fantasy Trip Items? (Metagaming, 1980/81)
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:39 pm 

I rescued five Fantasy Trip items from a used bookstore.  They were starting to get shelfworn.

I just did some quick eBay research.  One of the items is worth selling (or trading); the value of the other four remains unknown.

. . . (1) In The Labyrinth - 2102 -  worn cover, clean interior

. . . (2) Advanced Melee - 02-1-003 - worn cover, endpaper stains, marked interior

. . . (3) Advanced Wizard - 02-1-004 - worn cover, stains on side of book, clean interior

. . . (4) Fantasy Masters' Screen - slightly shelfworn but looks clean otherwise

. . . (5) Tollenkar's Lair - 02-2-001 - slightly shelfworn, front cover has price sticker residue and a small piece taken off with the price sticker, otherwise clean.  (eBay $40 with colored map)

The name "Scott Rachui" is written lightly in pencil on the bottom of each book's first page and is easily erasable.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:45 pm 

They all go for a decent amount regularly. Not exceptionally rare, but sought-after.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:50 pm 

TFT is kind of tough in the values department.  I've seen ITL go anywhere from $20 to $120.  The other rulebooks are a bit less.  If you want to make some money I would watch eBay for the values to spike.  Otherwise unload them whenever.  You should get at least $20 a piece.

On a side note I started playing TFT before anything else.  Wonderfully simple, although the magic and experince systems suck ass.  Melee is definitely the better system.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:51 pm 

See also:

viewtopic.php?t=2370&highlight=fantasy+trip

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:56 pm 

Thanks for the link.  And thanks to the other posters for their input.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:12 pm 

tfm wrote:On a side note I started playing TFT before anything else.  Wonderfully simple, although the magic and experince systems suck ass.  Melee is definitely the better system.

I forget the actual order, but I think I might have played a game of Melee/Wizard just before I played in my first D&D session. They were within two weeks of each other, in any case.

You're right about the experience system, though ... in TFT, all experienced characters eventually become the same as they each get above 20 in the three major stats and each end up with the same basic set of skills.

A final note for casual TFT collectors: many sellers seem unaware of just which items came with counters and which didn't. All editions of Melee and Wizard, for example, had a countersheet; on the other hand, none of the "Advanced" series products came with any counters. Some of the MicroQuests also did not have countersheets ... it can get a little confusing, so buyer beware.