Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:19 pm 

I guess the title says it all.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:27 pm 

My personal opinion...Yes. By how much?? who knows...? Once again the whole signature thing is more for bragging rights than anything else, I don't put a whole lot of value on it, but of course if i had a choice of a signed and unsigned , I'd go for the signed.... The one thing that gets me with "signed" stuff is how do you know it is the real thing? There is aparently a lot of fake signatures around the place and how do you tell if you actually weren't there and saw the thing done?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:56 am 

I think a signed items value should depend on who signed it and on what item. If Gary Gygax signed lets say Palace of the Vampire Queen, as a collector I will not pay much for it. He's not even the author of the item! Its like me signing the item myself. Therefore if your going to get something signed please get it signed by the author of the item or someone who was involved with the creation of the item and not just someone.  Now onto the question of how much. Well if the person is deceased perhaps it should be worth a bit more. If the person is not deceased, its possible with a few contacts someone could get him to sign an item, etc.  So for example, yes Gary Gygax's autograph on a 1st print woodgrain is impressive but since he is not deceased, its possible to find him at conventions, etc and have him sign another one. Now if he was deceased, and only 1 woodgrain was autographed it would be a very special and unique item.  Also like Brett said, how do I as a buyer buying a autographed item know its authentic? Perhaps we should start getting certificates of authenticity like they have for baseball and other sports? Perhaps a picture of the item with the person who signed it would suffice as proof?  Personally, I'm not too into autographed items.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:38 pm 

I think it should not improve the value. A certificate of authenticity would really disturb me in connection with a gaming item. I wouldn't mind having a signed item but I doubt I would consider exceeding my comfort level pricewise to get my hands on one.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:40 pm 

I disagree about the use of CoA in collecting.  I have been waiting for something like this to become more a part of the RPG and Game Collecting market.  CoA's and standardized grading in general give more creedence to the stated value of a piece, and a collection in general.  PSA has done wonders for the values of Baseball cards over the last 10 years, and has done the same, but to a lesser extent, for MTG.  Grading, if it does anything at all, raises the respectability of Game Collecting in general.  Personally, I have no problem with that at all.  As for signing, I just think it is neat.  But, it has to be appropriate to the piece.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:04 am 

Jtothteb, I disagree with parts of your post. PSA has done some good for baseball cards mainly by jacking up prices just because someone wants a psa 10 on a card. I think it would be ridiculous and absurd for rpg collecting to have that sort of grading system. A graded 10 Lost tamoachan? A graded 6 B10 in sw, etc. Puuhlleease!!!!! Thats going overboard. Have you followed the toy market especially star wars? The current talk is about AFA. Many star wars collectors are not happy at how AFA items get double or triple the value compared to an item of the same quality ungraded by AFA. I would like to see certificates of authenticity used for signed items but I do not want to see graded items that they use in cards, toys, and comics.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:26 am 

First off, hey Mike, it's Josh Berling!  How's it going?  Second, yes, I do agree that PSA has inflated the values of baseball cards in the past few years.  However, I believe this is more due to the fact that this has given validity to what it means for something to be 'Mint'.  It is a neutral, third party, setting a standard that everyone agrees is the standard that should be followed.  There is no worry about whether or not something is VG-EX or EX+ or EX; the gradation is standard (or, at the very least, nearer a standard than there is currently.)  I think there is nothing wrong with prices for graded items being higher than prices for non-graded items.  It is the trust in a standard system that raises the price; one knows what one is getting when purchasing something that has been professionally graded.  You are paying for the security and the piece of mind.  Grading has its place, and it could be the next step that RPG/Game collecting market needs to give it the validity and respect that it deserves.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:37 am 

Hi Josh, I know its you. I said hi on another reply :-)  PSA has dramatically inflated prices on cards. If you have followed closely, there was a crash on card prices. Many believe that graded star wars items though they are the craze right now will also have a crash.  I still don't agree about graded items. Come on now, are you gonna pay a lot of attention to a 2nd edition Players Handbook because it is graded a 10 (PERFECT) compared to say a graded 9 (near perfect). I think thats pretty dumb. There would have to be some kind of grading scale before I would even agree with it.  Perhaps a 1-5 scale with 5 being mint would work?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:35 am 

Just like cards, though, not everything would be graded.  I have tons of BB cards, but I'm not getting them graded... the cost is too great.  However, if I had the chance, I would get my older, rarer stuff that I didn't want to read anymore graded.  At least, I would if I thought that it would positively affect its value.    Oh, and I know about BB card price drops... my Griffey rookies are virtually worthless compared to what I paid for them.  But, it was a gamble... and I lost.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:55 pm 

Baseball, basketball, and all cards are not even good investments. Even you should know that. The prices on them rise only when a player is doing good and then after that it drops. Take a look at Mcquires, Sosas, ricky williams, etc cards. All crap.  I hope someone doesn't make a business on grading rpg items. Plus their isn't enough people interested in this hobby to require companies grading rpg items. I don't need someone telling me what the condition of a item is when I know it myself. Graded items and rpgs are not compatible.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:33 am 

I don't think signed items should affect value very much if at all. If anything signed novels may affect the value of the novel but otherwise I'd say no.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of erin

WWW ICQ YIM