TSR Products List/Bio One
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:26 am 

We should rename this thread to something like "TSR catalogue price lists" or something like that---it would make it easier to find later down the line when we need this info :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:21 am 

Speaking of price lists, I noticed that my copy of Panzer Warfare has Classical Warfare listed as "A Four-Booklet Set of rules for the Ancient Period, from the Pharoahs to the Byzantine Empire."   I've only seen Classical Warfare as a single 8.5x11 comb-bound volume.  Was it ever released in the other format?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:36 am 

The single-volume, spiral-comb-bound tome is all I've ever seen.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:08 pm 

Bio One was not professionally printed for distribution until after I had started working there, to the best of my recall.

It says that it was invented in 1974; it was, by Brian as I recall. It does not say that it was published in 1974.

Tactical Studies Rules did not become TSR Hobbies, Inc. until a time concurrent with my arrival. Gary and Brian were owners, I was the first official "employee", and that was in the Autumn of 1975 when my wife & I moved there. Rob Kuntz was our fourth Musketeer, and his brother Terry the fifth.

I say this as a "As best as I can remember"; that was a long time ago, but I think I have it correct.

And yes, it was invented with Boot Hill in mind as necessary to stop arguments. At the time, I thought it was one of the best pieces Brian did. As morbid as some of it was, it was the first time anyone had tried this type of simulation.

NetRodent--- No. That was my first big project. It was decided that larger pages, combined with the facility of GBC binding, was what would best serve the miniatures player. It's really too bad that it never did well. The rules still hold up rather well (all I did was edit.develop).

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:34 pm 

Got my copy today from this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8807727959

question though, the one in the pic has more staple stress than the one I have but the one in the pic also has the $2.?0  stamp on it which means it not the one I bid on. I guess my question would be this...was the $2.00 stamp a tsr add or the merchants and if it's TSR's does it mean mine is a later printing ( back cover has it listed as $2.50 ) ?

BTW the packing for this was absolutely rediculous. Not only did she charge $3.50  but all she did was stick it into a soft envelope, then into another and folded over/taped the envelopes to the exact size of the contents, no backing and sent it out for a cost of .39.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:15 pm 

Lordan wrote:BTW the packing for this was absolutely rediculous. Not only did she charge $3.50  but all she did was stick it into a soft envelope, then into another and folded over/taped the envelopes to the exact size of the contents, no backing and sent it out for a cost of .39.

guess thats how she is making the $ on the majority of what she is selling then....

the discussion was on the last time she sold a load of stuff. looks like when she has multiples of one ite, she just lists one photo covering them all and one person gets the exact item while others get a variation of it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:16 pm 

Lordan wrote:Got my copy today from this auction:

question though, the one in the pic has more staple stress than the one I have but the one in the pic also has the $2.?0  stamp on it which means it not the one I bid on. I guess my question would be this...was the $2.00 stamp a tsr add or the merchants and if it's TSR's does it mean mine is a later printing ( back cover has it listed as $2.50 ) ?

If it was TSR then they would probably be trying to sell them off.

Lordan wrote:BTW the packing for this was absolutely rediculous. Not only did she charge $3.50  but all she did was stick it into a soft envelope, then into another and folded over/taped the envelopes to the exact size of the contents, no backing and sent it out for a cost of .39.

I'm getting more and more leary of her, oh well.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:18 pm 

Plaag wrote:I'm getting more and more leary of her, oh well.

ShaneG.

i won a few auctions last time round and the books were just fine, tho i cant remember how well they were packaged. dont remember them being damaged so thats something i guess :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:21 pm 

Yeah, I can't remember what I won from her, but I don't recall anything going badly.  Not sure if shipping was charged more then it was to send though.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:26 pm 

Plaag wrote:Yeah, I can't remember what I won from her, but I don't recall anything going badly.  Not sure if shipping was charged more then it was to send though.

ShaneG.

i remember the shipping being more but couldnt be arsed arguing it at the time - was only a few $ anyway.

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:17 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
the discussion was on the last time she sold a load of stuff. looks like when she has multiples of one ite, she just lists one photo covering them all and one person gets the exact item while others get a variation of it.

Al

I remember that discussion but  was just wondering how mine differed from the actual picture i.e. 1st print/2nd print. I prefer the condition of mine but when I do leave feedback I will probably note that item is not the one listed and buyer beware.

The package did survive ok but I also use a small AMC Pacer for a mail box so just about everything fits in it well. Just the transit though could have easily killed it......

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:44 pm 

Lordan wrote:Got my copy today from this auction:

As far as I can tell there are only two printings of this that I have come across.  The only difference being the paper quality/texture of the cover.  I had 6 copies at one time and none of them had the Price: $2.00 on the cover.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:49 pm 

Mars wrote:As far as I can tell there are only two printings of this that I have come across.  The only difference being the paper quality/texture of the cover.  I had 6 copies at one time and none of them had the Price: $2.00 on the cover.

I took the cover price to be a "good sign" since it kinda matches the font on the bagged "War of Wizards". Was going to check the periodicals as some point...

Am guessing the "best copy" just went to the highest bidder: goodness knows whether the other two are "one of each", then.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:13 pm 

Here you go, Gro     :)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:00 pm 

Thanks Mike:  every time I would search for this thread, I would think that it was the wrong one ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:04 pm 

*watches the bump*

Ah, btw, the $2 copy is the TSR "1st".

I'd guess the reason this vanished into near-oblivion is that the release date was almost spot-on the Dragon/Little Wars split (mid-76).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:49 pm 

The copy of Bio One that I won recently (@  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
) arrived today and its product list matches Mike's scan, other than the fact the my copy appears to be on light green paper).  Given the large number of post-1974 products listed, I like Tim's assessment that it appears to have been published c. 1977-ish, after Little Wars launched in 1976.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Last edited by grodog on Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:36 pm 

Shane would be the one to verify this.  He's done a good job of collecting catalog pages from most of the early TSR stuff.  Going through my stuff to get him some scans for that project has definitely clued me in to a few prints I didn't know were out there.

For Bio One, there are at least 3 prints.  The one from your auction looks like a 3rd.

PreviousNext