TSR Products List/Bio One
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:47 pm 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:How about my newly acquired GK Boot Hill. Would that help? :)

The more, the merrier. :)
TSR research is now lagging behind JG research on that score.

Be careful with the spine, though; that looked like a nice copy...

*g*/aside. I thought the Boot Hill font on the "Product List" in SR#3 (and elsewhere) was a neat promotional touch for the product.

As promised, here is  apicture of the stock list on the inside back cover of my Boot Hill(please feel free to ignore the GF's fingers in the picture. :wink: ):

Hope that helps. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:01 pm 

Hey, why didn't I see the updates to this thread. Must've logged out and not noticed :(
Thank you, Mike! Thank you, Brian!

Mike, yeah mention of LW instead (and only quarterly), makes me suspect I'll have to browse through my set of those.
Definitely at least 1976, but the multi-sided dice set price puts it into 1977, I think (per viewtopic.php?t=2642 ). Will check...

Brian, yup, that's slap-bang on the GK2nd date. Will re-check, too.
(Tonight I was meant to be busy catching up on work from the weekend).

red_bus wrote:...so is it a stupid question to thus ask - did Boot Hill come before D&D if it is listed here and D&D isn't? :)

Erm, you've got a 1st print Men & Magic. Check out the stock list :)

"Different audience", I think...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:01 pm 

faro wrote:Brian, yup, that's slap-bang on the GK2nd date. Will re-check, too.
red_bus wrote:...so is it a stupid question to thus ask - did Boot Hill come before D&D if it is listed here and D&D isn't? :)

Ok, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm not about to let that stop me.  I have free time and books to analyze to death! :)  I have a Greyhawk 2nd, and it looks almost like bclarkie's Boot Hill pic.  Except:

1. no ":Rules, Die-cut Counters, Board" text in 2nd War of Wizards line
2. 2nd line of "Classic Warfare" section not indented
3. "Milti-sided Dice Sets" (sic) italicized
4. "Percentile Dice Sets" italicized
5. "Watch for more..." line not centered, just indented.
6. The address lines have PO Box 756, are in all-caps, and have TSR Rules

I have no idea whether Boot Hill predated the 2nd GH or the other way around...the "corrected" Boot Hill page would make me think it came later, but the address seems to contradict this...

Regarding the 1st M&M, mine doesn't state either BH or BioOne.  :? Not sure what you're looking for there.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:13 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
faro wrote:Brian, yup, that's slap-bang on the GK2nd date. Will re-check, too.

Ok, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm not about to let that stop me. I have free time and books to analyze to death! :) I have a Greyhawk 2nd, and it looks almost like bclarkie's Boot Hill pic. Except:

1. no ":Rules, Die-cut Counters, Board" text in 2nd War of Wizards line
2. 2nd line of "Classic Warfare" section not indented
3. "Milti-sided Dice Sets" (sic) italicized
4. "Percentile Dice Sets" italicized
5. "Watch for more..." line not centered, just indented.
6. The address lines have PO Box 756, are in all-caps, and have TSR Rules

I have no idea whether Boot Hill predated the 2nd GH or the other way around...the "corrected" Boot Hill page would make me think it came later, but the address seems to contradict this...

Thanks for those checks! This division-of-labor lark is fun :)
Neat little differences, those.

deimos3428 wrote:Regarding the 1st M&M, mine doesn't state either BH or BioOne. :? Not sure what you're looking for there.

1st print D&D (1974) pre-dates Boot Hill (1975), thus no mention.
Indeed, the T1st Greyhawk pre-dates it, too ("Boot Hill... Coming Soon!").

Sorry, was just the observation that because Bio One had no mention of D&D...
My presumption is that that was because it was aimed at a different audience (which also tallies with the rest of the Bio One stock list).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:13 pm 

I went back and looked for this thread:
http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2642&highlight=supplements

I'm thinking the Boot Hill picture is a "B."  Unfortunately, we don't have a firm date on "B." yet...  :?  All the more reason to hunt for a non-T1st GH.

The BioOne picture looks closer (different audience, yes, but we can draw some assumptions, at least) to "G."

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:46 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I'm thinking the Boot Hill picture is a "B." Unfortunately, we don't have a firm date on "B." yet... :? All the more reason to hunt for a non-T1st GH.

Good idea, but there's probably no such beastie, despite us listing a price for it; http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/Rulebooks.html.

Yeah, against the SRs and everything else, that's right date-wise, but I didn't have the time to cross-check everything.

deimos3428 wrote:The BioOne picture looks closer (different audience, yes, but we can draw some assumptions, at least) to "G."

I think the multi-sided dice push the date way back (dice are one of the best measures I've found price-wise).
Hrmm... and I thought I deliberately went out and paid top-whack for a 3rd ELD (J; 7/77) to fill that date-gap. *to check*

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:07 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Regarding the 1st M&M, mine doesn't state either BH or BioOne. :? Not sure what you're looking for there.

1st print D&D (1974) pre-dates Boot Hill (1975), thus no mention.
Indeed, the T1st Greyhawk pre-dates it, too ("Boot Hill... Coming Soon!").

Sorry, was just the observation that because Bio One had no mention of D&D...
My presumption is that that was because it was aimed at a different audience (which also tallies with the rest of the Bio One stock list).[/quote]

Yup, you are of course correct - I got mysewlf confused when I saw the scan on this thread...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:07 pm 

Badmike wrote:Anyone have any idea what one of these is going for now? I haven't seen a Bio One auctioned in ages. I'm thinking of selling my copy because it's well, it's not D&D and it's just gathering dust.

Mike B.

Here's one that just ended at $38.95

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8756104911

Another one just starting at $4.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8757920344

And what's probably an accidental double listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8757920271

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:29 am 

NetRodent wrote:

Phyleb has a history of non-accidental double listings.  I haven't heard anyone complain (yet) that they don't actually have multiples.  Though I never heard the end of the "reprint" CA saga...  :?

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:43 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
NetRodent wrote:

Phyleb has a history of non-accidental double listings. I haven't heard anyone complain (yet) that they don't actually have multiples. Though I never heard the end of the "reprint" CA saga... :?

i seem to remember a conversation quite some time ago about bio one - the 1st print has the price on the front. that was the same as the one i had (which doesnt)....

(i think)

still nice to get tho, specially at that price!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:22 am 

NetRodent wrote:

i have to say - I had little idea what would be a competitive bid on this one - or even if it is that interesting - I just lobbed in a bid at a rough 'guess'.  Does anyone here track the price of this ?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:32 am 

red_bus wrote:
NetRodent wrote:

i have to say - I had little idea what would be a competitive bid on this one - or even if it is that interesting - I just lobbed in a bid at a rough 'guess'. Does anyone here track the price of this ?

You should know by now that people can be a bit crazy with items "under the spotlight" and if someone says $20-40, then, hey $40 it is! :P

$15-20(?25) (per the previous page) was indeed the usual range.

There was also a not quite so good bookshop copy at $10 in the past few days which was meant to be being held for me (whilst obtaining a lower shipping quote than the $22 the computer tried to charge!), but I guess they decided otherwise. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:40 am 

red_bus wrote:
NetRodent wrote:

i have to say - I had little idea what would be a competitive bid on this one - or even if it is that interesting - I just lobbed in a bid at a rough 'guess'. Does anyone here track the price of this ?

i remember selling a few. prb in the regions of $15-20, but then they dont come around that much either and i think its a great lil book.

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:33 pm 

faro wrote:
red_bus wrote:
NetRodent wrote:

You should know by now that people can be a bit crazy with items "under the spotlight" and if someone says $20-40, then, hey $40 it is! :P

$15-20(?25) (per the previous page) was indeed the usual range.

Agreed there. Before this one, I don't think I have seen one yet go for more than $25-$30.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:56 pm 

faro wrote:You should know by now that people can be a bit crazy with items "under the spotlight" and if someone says $20-40, then, hey $40 it is! :P

Hmmm.  Worth a shot.  "Woodgrain sets are worth $20-40".   :twisted:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
faro wrote:You should know by now that people can be a bit crazy with items "under the spotlight" and if someone says $20-40, then, hey $40 it is! :P

Hmmm. Worth a shot. "Woodgrain sets are worth $20-40".  :twisted:

Does that mean I overpaid at $50, Deimos? :?

(It works better when the numbers aim high, I've observed... ;)).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:29 pm 

"Introduction

Bio One was created in 1974 to incorporate a degree of realism into a field of wargaming which was sorely lacking. Bio One provides a complete and accurate system of damage location and effects for any gunpowder period of warfare. Bio One will prove an interesting addition to any set of man-to-man rules which uses gun fire. Bio One may at first appear confusing, but by simply following the step-by-step procedure and trying a few sample applications, the system will be mastered in no time at all."

Materials

---Any set of man-to-man rules for a gunpowder period (i.e.; TSR's Boot Hill, etc)"

The mention of 1974 puts the original publication there, but there is no indication TSR was the first publisher. The mention of Boot Hill seems to refer to the original publication since it's also listed on the back cover.

Mike B.
[/quote]
Here is the back cover w/stock list:

Mike B.[/quote]

Just a note, I'm selling my copy for $30, this includes first class shipping but not priority shipping (that will be cost, $4.05,  if you are interested).  The condition is average, very worn but intact, this is the green cover version (above is the back cover products list).  Contact me by PM if you are interested and we'll set it up, thanks!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:34 am 

faro wrote:
grodog wrote:faro, if you're interested, I could certainly type up the products listing on the back of Warriors of Mars; it was released not too long after BioOne. Just let me know.

Please, Allan. Thanks for the offer :)

It was released (by TSR) before BioOne, tho'. (Unless they had a print run of half-a-dozen staff copies in 1974 with a GK logo :D)

OK, here it is: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/temp/Warriors_of_Mars_catalog.jpg

It's a bit blurry, but looks readable. Interesting to note that Star Probe was "Coming Soon!" and the line of Scruby miniatures, which I've never heard of otherwise.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

PreviousNext