TSR Products List/Bio One
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:11 pm 

Anyone have any idea what one of these is going for now?  I haven't seen a Bio One auctioned in ages.  I'm thinking of selling my copy because it's well, it's not D&D and it's just gathering dust.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:11 am 

They seem to hit the $20-40 range, depending on printing and condition, Mike.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:12 pm 

grodog wrote:They seem to hit the $20-40 range, depending on printing and condition, Mike.

thanks Al, that sounds about right from what I remember....

Mike B.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:58 am 

what is it?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:50 am 

red_bus wrote:what is it?

Bio One was one of the first ever official releases for the fledgling TSR Hobbies. First released in 1974, this slim (12 pages) booklet contained rules for hit location and damage for use with any shooting based system. The charts are very detailed and slightly complicated. I suspect it was initially used in games like the original Boot Hill or any wargame that wanted "realism" in man to man combat.  A curiousity more than anything else, the back cover products list is an intriguing glimpse into everything available at the time from TSR with prices ((anymore want the original Chainmail for $5 bucks?)

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:36 pm 

Badmike wrote:Bio One was one of the first ever official releases for the fledgling TSR Hobbies. First released in 1974...
the back cover products list is an intriguing glimpse into everything available at the time from TSR with prices ((anymore want the original Chainmail for $5 bucks?)

Alas not, Mike. Just a boring old spiral bound-3rd edition :(

Any chance you could type up the full products list, please: I'm still curious to know what side of mid-1976 the TSR release date was.
And whether the two(?) printings do have differences there...

Of course, if you have a "GK" copy (pretty sure those don't exist), I'll happily stack up that $40 + $10, even though the usual prices I'd seen were more $15-20(?25) ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:19 pm 

faro wrote:
Badmike wrote:Bio One was one of the first ever official releases for the fledgling TSR Hobbies. First released in 1974...
the back cover products list is an intriguing glimpse into everything available at the time from TSR with prices ((anymore want the original Chainmail for $5 bucks?)

Any chance you could type up the full products list, please: I'm still curious to know what side of mid-1976 the TSR release date was.

Of course, if you have a "GK" copy (pretty sure those don't exist), I'll happily stack up that $40 + $10, even though the usual prices I'd seen were more $15-20(?25) ;)

Hey faro, I'll post scans of the front and back later tonight.  Pretty sure it's a later print, it's in very used shape. No GK, sorry.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:27 pm 

Badmike wrote:
faro wrote:

Hey faro, I'll post scans of the front and back later tonight. Pretty sure it's a later print, it's in very used shape. No GK, sorry.

Mike B.

I guess the secret is not totally out just yet. :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:20 pm 

Badmike wrote:Hey faro, I'll post scans of the front and back later tonight. Pretty sure it's a later print, it's in very used shape. No GK, sorry.

Front & back are good for selling. Stock list is good for research (hrmm... did that say "Boot Hill"?).

Thanks, Mike.
To restate, I really don't think a "GK" version exists. From a scan-through, there is no mention of the product in the 'zines prior to TD#14(!), although I've still to check the LWs, secondary literature, etc.
If it was written/published/whatever in 1974 it certainly wasn't by TSR, afaik. That would appear to be a copyright date in the context of the TSR publication.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:44 pm 

faro, if you're interested, I could certainly type up the products listing on the back of Warriors of Mars; it was released not too long after BioOne.  Just let me know.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:48 pm 

grodog wrote:faro, if you're interested, I could certainly type up the products listing on the back of Warriors of Mars; it was released not too long after BioOne. Just let me know.

Or Allan you could just remove the burden of carring that thing around, with your move and all, and just sell it to me. :wink: I can then post that same information whenever I get it in the mail. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:50 pm 

grodog wrote:faro, if you're interested, I could certainly type up the products listing on the back of Warriors of Mars; it was released not too long after BioOne. Just let me know.

Please, Allan. Thanks for the offer :)

It was released (by TSR) before BioOne, tho'. (Unless they had a print run of half-a-dozen staff copies in 1974 with a GK logo :D)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:53 pm 

faro wrote:

Please, Allan. Thanks for the offer :)

It was released (by TSR) before BioOne, tho'. (Unless they had a print run of half-a-dozen staff copies in 1974 with a GK logo :D)

How about my newly acquired GK Boot Hill.  Would that help? :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:12 pm 

bclarkie wrote:How about my newly acquired GK Boot Hill. Would that help? :)

The more, the merrier. :)
TSR research is now lagging behind JG research on that score.

Be careful with the spine, though; that looked like a nice copy...

*g*/aside. I thought the Boot Hill font on the "Product List" in SR#3 (and elsewhere) was a neat promotional touch for the product.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:06 am 

Badmike wrote:

Bio One was one of the first ever official releases for the fledgling TSR Hobbies. First released in 1974, this slim (12 pages) booklet contained rules for hit location and damage for use with any shooting based system. The charts are very detailed and slightly complicated. I suspect it was initially used in games like the original Boot Hill or any wargame that wanted "realism" in man to man combat. A curiousity more than anything else, the back cover products list is an intriguing glimpse into everything available at the time from TSR with prices ((anymore want the original Chainmail for $5 bucks?)

Mike B.

"Introduction

Bio One was created in 1974 to incorporate a degree of realism into a field of wargaming which was sorely lacking. Bio One provides a complete and accurate system of damage location and effects for any gunpowder period of warfare. Bio One will prove an interesting addition to any set of man-to-man rules which uses gun fire. Bio One may at first appear confusing, but by simply following the step-by-step procedure and trying a few sample applications, the system will be mastered in no time at all."

Materials

---Any set of man-to-man rules for a gunpowder period (i.e.; TSR's Boot Hill, etc)"

The mention of 1974 puts the original publication there, but there is no indication TSR was the first publisher.  The mention of Boot Hill seems to refer to the original publication since it's also listed on the back cover.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:39 am 

Badmike wrote:The mention of 1974 puts the original publication there, but there is no indication TSR was the first publisher. The mention of Boot Hill seems to refer to the original publication since it's also listed on the back cover.

Aha! Stock list on the back cover... makes sense given the low page count.

Boot Hill = mid-'75. Yes, that would've been a 1st Boot Hill, even if not a 2nd Chainmail :)
(Unless BioOne is really late ('77?) for the 2nd print Boot Hill. The remainder of the stock list should help pin it down, thanks).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:19 am 

Badmike wrote:
Badmike wrote:

Bio One was one of the first ever official releases for the fledgling TSR Hobbies. First released in 1974, this slim (12 pages) booklet contained rules for hit location and damage for use with any shooting based system. The charts are very detailed and slightly complicated. I suspect it was initially used in games like the original Boot Hill or any wargame that wanted "realism" in man to man combat. A curiousity more than anything else, the back cover products list is an intriguing glimpse into everything available at the time from TSR with prices ((anymore want the original Chainmail for $5 bucks?)

Mike B.

"Introduction

Bio One was created in 1974 to incorporate a degree of realism into a field of wargaming which was sorely lacking. Bio One provides a complete and accurate system of damage location and effects for any gunpowder period of warfare. Bio One will prove an interesting addition to any set of man-to-man rules which uses gun fire. Bio One may at first appear confusing, but by simply following the step-by-step procedure and trying a few sample applications, the system will be mastered in no time at all."

Materials

---Any set of man-to-man rules for a gunpowder period (i.e.; TSR's Boot Hill, etc)"

The mention of 1974 puts the original publication there, but there is no indication TSR was the first publisher. The mention of Boot Hill seems to refer to the original publication since it's also listed on the back cover.

Mike B.

Here is the back cover w/stock list:

Mike B.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:11 pm 

...so is it a stupid question to thus ask - did Boot Hill come before D&D if it is listed here and D&D isn't?  :)

Next