Any chance that someone could help an ignoramus?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:27 pm 

I know nothing about dungeons and dragons, well apart from what I've endured via friends.  Yes I know, that's probably not the best way to ask a favour, but there ya go, it is the truth.  :lol:

Look I saw two boxed sets of figures at our local op shop.  Bit costly for a gamble, but at same time, if were to be appreciated for what they are, am off back to put the money on the counter.

I've been hunting all over the internet to see if I could find out what's what, but obviously don't know enough, things like whether painted or unpainted is better, am assuming unpainted, as would assume half the fun would be painting them yourself, but then again what would I know.  :roll:

Anyways, figures seem to have got muddled between the two boxes, but I believe this one was complete, a box of what I thought said 1004, but from what seen now, starting to think in fact 2004 AD&D Grenadier Hirelings, Solid Gold Line, dated early 80's (I think), metal figures, if there was originally supposed to be any paperwork, has long gone.

And the second box was marked with Metal Figure Set, Draon Lords, Horrors of the Marsh, didn't spot a date on that box, but looks to be from the same era, and I have a feeling is a concoction of figures, could be wrong about that, and these ones were painted.

Reason asking here is if am to buy them don't want to be spoiling the surprise factor elsewhere.  If anyone can help me, would be rapt.  Thanks heaps. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:39 pm 

You've come across two of the Grenadier AD&D sets, one a gold box and one the post Gold Box, Dragonlords line.  They're nice sets with high nostalgia value for D&D oldtimers.  Unpainted is generally preferred to painted unless the paint jobs are nicely done.  The paper inserts would be desirable as they would indicate whether you're looking at a complete set with all the original figures.  Based on what you say in your post and that they may not be complete sets, they'd probably be worth about $8 each.  If complete with all the original figs then about $15 for the Hirelings, and $20 for the Horrors of the Marsh (since it's the Dragonlords version, not an original Gold Box).

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:15 pm 

That helps a lot, not only for these ones, but also should I see anything like them in my travels again.  The lot I was talking about,  from what you are saying, about spot on their pricing is, so a train ride for me today.  Could even get lucky and on this trip luck it in and find something for ME TOO! hehehe

Thank you heaps for your trouble!  8)