Massconfusion 1984
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:46 pm 

I have a piece of ongoing research that I cannot complete on my own. So hopefully the group may have some answers.

Does anyone know where Massconfusion 1984 were based? Presumably in the US, but a town and state would be most useful.

Does anyone know when any of the tourneys were actually published? Presumably they weren't all published in 1984. There isn't any copyright dates in any of the D&D tourneys, so if anyone knows of these being offered for sale, or reviewed, in periodicals (White Dwarf, Dragon) it would be most helpful.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:51 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I have a piece of ongoing research that I cannot complete on my own. So hopefully the group may have some answers.

Does anyone know where Massconfusion 1984 were based? Presumably in the US, but a town and state would be most useful.

Does anyone know when any of the tourneys were actually published? Presumably they weren't all published in 1984. There isn't any copyright dates in any of the D&D tourneys, so if anyone knows of these being offered for sale, or reviewed, in periodicals (White Dwarf, Dragon) it would be most helpful.

I have no idea, but I'm going to wildly spectulate Massachusetts.  It makes sense.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:03 pm 

You are correct..

http://dragonsfoot.net/forums/viewtopic ... dc317b0063

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I have a piece of ongoing research that I cannot complete on my own. So hopefully the group may have some answers.

I have no idea, but I'm going to wildly spectulate Massachusetts. It makes sense.

I see that now. Not being from the US, that wouldn't have occurred to me.
Anyone else? <Edit> Thanks for that link, Shane. I'll PM Stik and see what else he remembers.

Robert Jennings seems to have been the main man. Does this ring any bells?

I don't suppose anyone has a scan of the cover of Dungeons of Dr. Demento they could e-mail me?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:25 pm 

Al, I'll try to remember to send you a scan. Just remind me if I forget.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:30 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I'll try to remember to send you a scan. Just remind me if I forget.

Hi Frank.
Thanks a lot.
A brief description of the plot would be good also, if you have the time.
I note that Dungeons of Dr. Demento is absent from Afterglow. Presumably Matthias didn't consider it D&D. But its partner is there.
Cheers,
Ian

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:21 pm 

yeah i got one of these off ian some time back - wouldnt mind getting hold of others as they are really cool

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:43 pm 

Hey Ian, I have the entire set (Demento included) in minty-fresh condition so if you need anything let me know.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:25 pm 

Jennings is the man behind it indeed. From Massachusetts no less.

I have corresponded with him extensively. Nice guy! He is still trying to sell off his original stash of these items. None are being currently reprinted as has been speculated in the past. w/o consulting my research I think they were all published in the same year for the same convention....Massconfusion Convention.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:28 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Jennings is the man behind it indeed. From Massachusetts no less.

I have corresponded with him extensively. Nice guy! He is still trying to sell off his original stash of these items. None are being currently reprinted as has been speculated in the past. w/o consulting my research I think they were all published in the same year for the same convention.

So they would all have been published in '84? Could you find out if he has any of these for sale? I'm looking for Dungeon of Dr. Demento. I'm sure they would sell on eBay if he put them up from time to time.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:31 pm 

I was told they were all printed for the same con.....to the best of my recollection.

fabulousfictionbooks is Bob Jennings. I am sure that isn't how to spell his moniker but I am sure you have seen it while kicking about ebay. Perhaps someone can help with the actual moniker.

He surely has more to sell if you drop him a line via ebay.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:39 pm 

I've tried a few combinations. Can anyone help me out with the eBay handle?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:55 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I've tried a few combinations. Can anyone help me out with the eBay handle?

<fabficbk>

(fyi; eBay response ^^)
"Sure, we can ship to the UK. Payment must be in US Funds. Please be aware, we are NOT set up to accept credit cards of any kind, so PayPal and these other new systems do us no good at all. You can pay thru BidPay, which cuts a money order direct to the seller. You pay exact shipping, either by surface mail or air mail, your choice.
As I type this I am looking over at a stack of eight packages which are wrapped and ready to go for overseas buyers, all of whom backed out of the deal when they discovered the expense and difficultities of sending payment. Many overseas nations do not want their citizens sending money out of the country, and they make it very difficult and very expensive to do so. Please make absolutely certain you are able to follow thru on any transaction before you place an ebay bid."

I missed out last time around. Missed placing snipes, IIRC :(

Am looking to pick up all the D&D ones, too, so would be willing to pick up the full postage tab if you could arrange a deal, Ian.
Looks like might have to be cash in the post, since BidPay no longer allows a cheque to be printed w/o a corresponding eBay auction (I hit that hard when I thought I could use that route to pay for that recent private deal SW'd oB3 :?).

Let me know if you have any luck, anyhow.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:57 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Jennings is the man behind it indeed. From Massachusetts no less.

I have corresponded with him extensively. Nice guy! He is still trying to sell off his original stash of these items. None are being currently reprinted as has been speculated in the past. w/o consulting my research I think they were all published in the same year for the same convention....Massconfusion Convention.

hey Ad

i wouldnt mind a set if hes interested in offloading....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:08 pm 

I've sent an e-mail through eBay.

How many people here in the UK would be interested in buying the D&D massconfusion tourneys? There are 8 that are directly compatable with D&D. The seven listed on Afterglow, and the one mentioned above. There are also other tourneys for other games systems.

I'm happy to bring in a stack of tourneys and it would save us all on shipping.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:52 pm 

For those interested, these are the tourneys Bob still has copies of....

AD&D---
   The Condo of Dr. Demento
   Dragonrunners of Kola
   Lady Eileen's castle
   Werewolf Country
   Torture Tower
   The Book of Paith
   The Tomb of St. Duncan

Call of Cthulhu---
   Firebug

Gamma World---
   Water Rights
   Mudflat Walker

Star Frontiers---
   Trouble on Janus

James Bond---
   Music of Madness    

Marvel Super Heroes---
   The Hydra Connection

I'm waiting for a price, but I'd like to know who'd like copies of what. Alan. David. PM me.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:34 am 

Star Frontiers---
 Trouble on Janus

I'll take one of these...

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:58 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:For those interested, these are the tourneys Bob still has copies of....

AD&D---
 The Condo of Dr. Demento
 Dragonrunners of Kola
 Lady Eileen's castle
 Werewolf Country
 Torture Tower
 The Book of Paith
 The Tomb of St. Duncan

ian, i am after all these bar the lady eileen's castle...

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Next