How much does hole punching affect an items grade?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:34 am 

Hello all, I have a bit of a noob question :)

If a module is in otherwise mint condition (no creases, stains, tears, etc..) but has been three-holed punched, how much would it degrade the value?

down to near mint?  Fine?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Tim
[/b]

"Always looking for that boxed set feeling"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:22 am 

Babydragon wrote:Hello all, I have a bit of a noob question :)

If a module is in otherwise mint condition (no creases, stains, tears, etc..) but has been three-holed punched, how much would it degrade the value?

down to near mint? Fine?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Tim
[/b]

in my own opinion, if a mint item (for condition purposes), was three-hole punched, i would regard the item somewhere between good and very good condition. value wise, it would have nominal value to me, but would be good enough to use for gaming etc, not collecting.

thats what i think anyway.

Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:48 am 

I think it depends on the rarity quite a bit:  how much did that three-hole-punched Tsojconth go for a year+ ago?  IIRC it was still a substantial amount of money.

I've been wrestling with this myself, since I have an original 7 round GenCon Open tourney from 2000 that's hole-punched.  I rarely see a tourney with that many rounds for sale; it is in wonderful shape; it's a Greyhawk tourney; but, it's hole-punched....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:19 am 

grodog wrote:I've been wrestling with this myself, since I have an original 7 round GenCon Open tourney from 2000 that's hole-punched. I rarely see a tourney with that many rounds for sale; it is in wonderful shape; it's a Greyhawk tourney; but, it's hole-punched....

well Allan, wrestle it in this direction then and i will buy it off you :D

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:44 am 

grodog wrote:I think it depends on the rarity quite a bit: how much did that three-hole-punched Tsojconth go for a year+ ago? IIRC it was still a substantial amount of money.

Grodog:  It went for $545, but if I recall, it went on auction many, many times before it sold, and we were all a little stunned that it did finally sell for that much.  An unpunched copy in similar condition would go for double.

Babydragon:  If you're asking about condition, I'd suggest that large holes deliberately punched through an item drop it immediately to Good, or worse.  (Note that some items were actually sold 3-hole punched, and this does not apply to them, of course).

If you're asking about value, however:  It depends on the actual item.  If the item isn't rare, a 3-hole punched version would be generally worthless.    If it is rare, it can retain some of its value no matter what you do to it, as the "punched Tsojconth" auction Grodog was referring to demonstrates.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:20 am 

Deimos gives good advice.

The 3-hole punched item doesn't happen to be B4 The Lost City, does it?  

As for grodog's Greyhawk tourney, that could be a near unique item these days so as long as the holes don't punch out some text, I don't think it would have that much of an impact on value.  
But for any other item that comes up at least semi-regularly (including Tsojconth which comes up every few months), 3 hole punched is a fatal flaw for any collector; I imagine many collectors would rather have no Tsojconth than a 3 hole punched one.  The logic being that the collector would not be satisfied with the 3-hole punch and would then still have to be on the lookout for a nicer one anyway so why bother buying one you're not going to be satisfied with it?  In other words, if you can't cross it off your search list, then what's the point?  
As a playing copy it's fine, but playing copies usually go for a pittance.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:51 am 

Thanks for the input/corroboration guys.

William, I noticed your new avatar:  is the gold orc a recent acquisition? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:58 pm 

grodog wrote:Thanks for the input/corroboration guys.

William, I noticed your new avatar: is the gold orc a recent acquisition? :D

Ah, yes, I gave a little Star Wars EP4 interlude in time for the unveiling of the new avatar.  That is the Orc Shaman from the Orc's Lair Gold box set, except this one is encased in gold, just like the wizard on the right.  This gold orc shaman is even rarer than the wizard.  I got it through someone who got it from Andy Chernak himself, and even got the Grenadier coupon one would have needed to find fortuitously in order to claim one.  
I think there is a gold basilisk out there somewhere, but Chernak himself wasn't aware of it so maybe my memory is faulty.  Gold wizard and shaman are confirmed, though.   :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:27 pm 

The 3-hole punched item doesn't happen to be B4 The Lost City, does it?  

Nah, its a copy of the Jade Hare I have.  I punched holes in it when I got it to go in my D&D binder.  other that that it is near mint.  I figure I can classify it as good condition now even with the holes in it.  I have a letter I got with it, it has holes punched in it as well.  I figure the letter at least can prove the copy I have isn't a forgery.[/b]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:55 am 

A hole punched Dragon Magazine Archive would have serious implications on the price. They have holes in them anyway, but they're badly placed for storing in binders.

I hope you didn't hole punch the Jade Hare cover?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:48 am 

It was a coverless copy, so that makes it a little easier on a collectors heart :) . I never really intend on selling it. I wanted to try and figure out what grade to attach to it in my collection.