Trading cards
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:28 pm 

Here is a set of gold crest trading cards (1991): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44114

I find it hard to believe that they should be worth 150 $ when the collector's set with the silver crest cards is cheaply available.

On the other hand, they COULD be worth the money to someone who wants them badly enough.

Any opinions on these? Someone seen them sold before?

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:17 pm 

Innovative way to sell these!  As you mentioned, these were available in the collector's set and I am not aware of any difference.  I don't know if they were sold at the time that this was posted but they are now or the auction was ended by the seller.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:57 pm 

Actually there is a slight difference. The cards from the factory set have a silver frame around the picture while the cards from the foiled packs had a golden frame. I picked up the factory set in Germany for 16 € and was wondering whether someone would be willing to pay 150 $ for the assembled collection from the foiled packs. I wouldn't and obviously no one else, because the cards weren't sold. But the value of the golden framed cards must be higher -  the only clue we have so far is that the true value must be somewhere within 20 - 150 $. Much room for speculation ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:04 pm 

I remember that the 'Gold' packs had horrible sortation... lots of dupes, dead packs and the distribution seemed almost 'regional'.  It was a nightmare to even try to put together a set and it seemed like they announced the factory set right away so there was little incentive.

I remember seeing boxes of these going for 5 bucks for a while when game stores tried to dump them... never bit because I paid 20 bucks for a factory set and, at the end of the day, the set wasn't that compelling.. your typicall M:TG set has WAY better art and content and the art on the D&D cards was either good (ripped from other D&D products) or looked like it was drawn with felt pen by a $10/hour graphic artist.

Content on the back was barely good at time and others laughable.

So.. for $150 bucks I'd rather have an R1-4 module or some other rarity.

Sorry if the auctioner is here... I hope you get your price but I thought I'd share my thoughts with the rest.  

I'd say it's 'worth' $50 bucks and might get 60-70 on Ebay... let's see me be wrong!

-------------------------------------------------

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:35 pm 

Hi,

What about the white framed cards of the 1991 Trading Card Set? These came with several Dragon Magazine issues. I have several cut and uncut (9 per sheet). Are these still worth anything?

Greets

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:26 am 

Hi Richard,

good question. I don't think they have a real value. You could get the Dragon issues they came from for 2-3 € ($) from a reseller or ebay. The AD&D trading cards don't receive much attention, mainly for the reasons Jon pointed out. Also, they were available in the boxed set. It looks as if there aren't a lot of collectors who would want three versions of the same card set with the only difference being the colour of a frame.

Now, if you managed to built a <i>complete set</i> of cards from the Dragon magazine, it might go for an interesting price on eBay.

Why don't you try and sell some of your cards on ebay? Please let us know when you do so we can watch the auction.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 pm 

If I remember right, there were some cards that were not in the factory set.  #746 was an oversized Dark Sun card.