First posting! Anything rare or valuable in this lot?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:40 am 

harami2000 wrote:Might've been worth a dawn raid to impound TC #1-5 for research purposes.
Thanks for saving me the journey! :D

I think that you-know-who has these. And A&E as well I think.  That's if you can get hold of him!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:23 am 

Thanks for everyone for the interest and comments. As it looks like I am going to have to learn how to use a scanner it is realistically going to be a few weeks before I can satisfy that demand (before I see my brother to use his!)

A few more details though in response to questions and comments both here and from private messages:

1. Basic Rulebook is UK version, 2nd Print Run with perforated page detached. GD

2. Greyhawk (now appeared!) - 9th print May 1978. VF

3. Blackmoor - 4th print Dec 1977. VF

4. Eldritch Wizardry - 4th print Nov 1977. FN

5. Gods Demigods & Heroes - 2nd print Apr 1977. FN

6. White Dwarf - Only update is that only editions 1 to 3 are 1st reprints (Nov 1977) the rest are originals. Re binders, one is the rarer early "thin" version where 12 editions fill it snugly. The other two are the wider ones where the contents flap around which everyone else seems to have. Condition generally better than first thought varying FN to NM. Will probably eBay these as mixed singles, batches and binders as per harami2000's nice advice.

7. JG City State of IO - Believe probably 1st Edition (c) 1976 on Guide and Booklet J. Booklet I silent re date. Will look up last product listed in Advert as suggested by Shane and update. GD

8. JG Wilderlands of HF - (c) 1977 again will update as above. VG

9. JG Thieves of Badabaskor - (c) 1978 but again will update from Ad. VG

10.  Underworld Oracle - complete set no reprints. Mostly FN. May separate  as No.7 (more properly Vol.2. No.1!) seems particularly rare.

11. Trollcrusher - No. 16, 18 and 19. Mostly FN

12. (NEW) Illusionists Vision - No.1. FN

13. The Beholder - No. 1 (Blue 40p on cover), No. 2 (Blue 40p),  No.4 (Yellow 40p) and No.5 (Peach 40p). Sure I have some more (Green covers) and suspect editions 1-12 complete will emerge. Mostly VG.

14.  Will come back on the AD&D three books - although the Players Handbook (UK Softback Ed) is in a terrible state in that binding has completely collapsed (glue dried out completely).

15. Perhaps my D&D Basic Set will appear too although no sign yet. Had other bits and pieces but none of this is likely to be valuable.

Thanks for your advice so far. Watch this space for news of disposal plans. Questions on items I will answer here - and please hold off on the "how much do you want for XXX" emails. If I knew that I would not have started this thread!

Nick

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:43 am 

Thanks for everyone for the interest and comments. As it looks like I am going to have to learn how to use a scanner it is realistically going to be a few weeks before I can satisfy that demand (before I see my brother to use his!)

A few more details though in response to questions and comments both here and from private messages:

1. Basic Rulebook is UK version, 2nd Print Run with perforated page detached. GD

2. Greyhawk (now appeared!) - 9th print May 1978. VF

3. Blackmoor - 4th print Dec 1977. VF

4. Eldritch Wizardry - 4th print Nov 1977. FN

5. Gods Demigods & Heroes - 2nd print Apr 1977. FN

6. White Dwarf - Only update is that only editions 1 to 3 are 1st reprints (Nov 1977) the rest are originals. Re binders, one is the rarer early "thin" version where 12 editions fill it snugly. The other two are the wider ones where the contents flap around which everyone else seems to have. Condition generally better than first thought varying FN to NM. Will probably eBay these as mixed singles, batches and binders as per harami2000's nice advice.

7. JG City State of IO - Believe probably 1st Edition (c) 1976 on Guide and Booklet J. Booklet I silent re date. Will look up last product listed in Advert as suggested by Shane and update. GD

8. JG Wilderlands of HF - (c) 1977 again will update as above. VG

9. JG Thieves of Badabaskor - (c) 1978 but again will update from Ad. VG

10.  Underworld Oracle - complete set no reprints. Mostly FN. May separate  as No.7 (more properly Vol.2. No.1!) seems particularly rare.

11. Trollcrusher - No. 16, 18 and 19. Mostly FN

12. (NEW) Illusionists Vision - No.1. FN

13. The Beholder - No. 1 (Blue 40p on cover), No. 2 (Blue 40p),  No.4 (Yellow 40p) and No.5 (Peach 40p). Sure I have some more (Green covers) and suspect editions 1-12 complete will emerge. Mostly VG.

14.  Will come back on the AD&D three books - although the Players Handbook (UK Softback Ed) is in a terrible state in that binding has completely collapsed (glue dried out completely).

15. Perhaps my D&D Basic Set will appear too although no sign yet. Had other bits and pieces but none of this is likely to be valuable.

Thanks for your advice so far. Watch this space for news of disposal plans. Questions on items I will answer here - and please hold off on the "how much do you want for XXX" emails. If I knew that I would not have started this thread!

Nick

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:58 am 

notquitekarpov wrote:As it looks like I am going to have to learn how to use a scanner it is realistically going to be a few weeks before I can satisfy that demand (before I see my brother to use his!)

If you've got one, you can get by with a digital camera if the resolution is high enough.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:34 am 

Hi again!

Have been reading some of the threads and links on the JG forum and can now identify the three JG products I have found:

JG12 - City State of the Invincible Overlord Yup - it's the original edition as the booty list only goes up to product no.17 (Dungeons J1-J4). Complete too - all maps of City and Thunderhall, all dungeon levels I1-5 and J1-4 and all three guide/booklets - in original plastic bag, slit at top. Upgrading condition to FN, parts VF on closer inspection!

JG48 - Wilderlands of High Fantasy Also First Edition as comes in two booklets. In original bag, slit at top. Complete - all maps NM - books FN/VF as on one the castle map on back cover has had some colour coding added to hexes in crayon.

(NEW) JG47 - Campaign Hexagon System A few pages removed from centre fold (must have used them). Condition otherwise VG.

JG52 - The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor Edition with cover of red sky, lt brown ground and yellow lettering - first print after issue as Installment P. Condition FN

Just how rare is a first edition CSIO? Any auction data that I have missed?

Getting nearer now to plan for disposal - thanks for all your useful comment and suggestions.  :D

Nick

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:47 am 

notquitekarpov wrote:Hi again!

Have been reading some of the threads and links on the JG forum and can now identify the three JG products I have found:

JG12 - City State of the Invincible Overlord Yup - it's the original edition as the booty list only goes up to product no.17 (Dungeons J1-J4). Complete too - all maps of City and Thunderhall, all dungeon levels I1-5 and J1-4 and all three guide/booklets - in original plastic bag, slit at top. Upgrading condition to FN, parts VF on closer inspection!

JG48 - Wilderlands of High Fantasy Also First Edition as comes in two booklets. In original bag, slit at top. Complete - all maps NM - books FN/VF as on one the castle map on back cover has had some colour coding added to hexes in crayon.

(NEW) JG47 - Campaign Hexagon System A few pages removed from centre fold (must have used them). Condition otherwise VG.

JG52 - The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor Edition with cover of red sky, lt brown ground and yellow lettering - first print after issue as Installment P. Condition FN

Just how rare is a first edition CSIO? Any auction data that I have missed?

Getting nearer now to plan for disposal - thanks for all your useful comment and suggestions. :D

Nick

Nick

i collect/buy/sell lots of JG stuff generally (as everyone here knows). here is my honest opinion, IF i was looking to buy ok?

JG12 - CSIO is a funny one. it all depends who is looking for one at the time. most ppl (other than collectors), won't really be bothered if its a 1st print or not, as they are just after the item, so most will only pay a certain amount. now, if you have more than 1 collector looking for it, then it all comes down to how much each of them wants it etc. as its complete, and unmarked, it is a reasonably collectable item, so you could prb expect to get £25+ for it, "maybe" up to about £50 or so (altho you are then looking at real hardcore bids imo). i add the + as like i said, it all depends on who wants it at the time. i myself have paid more, and have also paid less too. but as it has all the 1st print booklets with it, it would be a pretty nice find and i would prb be interested too.

JG48 - one of these just sold a few days ago, which harami2000 outbid me on - winning price was about £13.87 or something like that. as the maps are real nice, that will hold you in good stead, but the books are prb what you would expect from having something almost 30 years. i think maybe £20ish(if youre very very lucky), IF you got more than 1-2 involved wanting it. but as with the one mentioned here, me and david both collect JG and that was the only reason the price went up that much. if i didnt bid, he would have gotten it for a lot less than that.

JG47 - as the book has been used and is incomplete, i would only expect a token bid really. might get £5 if youre lucky, unless someone REALLY wants the item, no matter that its incomplete.

JG52 - again, most ppl are not bothered with this one imo. so whether its a 1st or a 5th, you will prb get the same result, unless one of the JG collectors is looking for it, then you might get lucky. again, i would say £5 or so. i sold one not so long ago for about that and have other prints of it, that generally sell for less and are prb in better condition too. i already have a 1st or this now in prb EX condition - a damn nice copy.

hope this all helps? no doubt the others will pop in their .02c worth too, but i dont think i am far off the mark.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:06 am 

Much appreciated Al, and note the caveats.

Am tending towards using eBay auction as solution, with a realistic reserve so info useful.

Will take a couple of weeks to get organised but will post notice of various lots - prob split the whole lot up into a dozen lots or so. Interesting that WD set seems to carry the most value at present.

Will be good to get it out of the way and into hands that want and appreciate it. This thread has got the nostalga pumps going though - nice to remember how blown away I was at the time when I first discovered D&D, couldn't afford it as only about 13 at the time so made up my own rules and ran a campaign with that for several months until my birthday came around.

Good days....  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:18 am 

Nick,

There was a thread somewhere in the Collecting General Forum that coverred tips for people selling stuff on eBay.

* Jump in anyone who has a link *

In brief, it comes down to producing large clear photos (or links to them), providing an honest, clear description, and being willing to accept PayPal.

It's worth reading the thread if you can find it, as a well thought out auction can really boost the return you get for your stuff.

Posting links in Classified wouldn't do you any harm either. A lot of us keep an eye on it.

BTW, do you have a copy of the White Dwarf Archive DVD?  :wink: :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:46 am 

notquitekarpov wrote:Much appreciated Al, and note the caveats.

Am tending towards using eBay auction as solution, with a realistic reserve so info useful.

Will take a couple of weeks to get organised but will post notice of various lots - prob split the whole lot up into a dozen lots or so. Interesting that WD set seems to carry the most value at present.

Will be good to get it out of the way and into hands that want and appreciate it. This thread has got the nostalga pumps going though - nice to remember how blown away I was at the time when I first discovered D&D, couldn't afford it as only about 13 at the time so made up my own rules and ran a campaign with that for several months until my birthday came around.

Good days.... 8)

Nick

just a further point with regards to your selling, especially now you mention that you are going to sell things in "lots", especially the WD stuff. Please also bear in mind, that you are quite likely to get more money if you sold the rarer items apart from the mass, as with the mass, you are going to likely discourage most international bidders, as the weight issue when you ship, is going to be massive.

just something to bear in mind.

also bear in mind what ian has just said. it's worth you reading through these threads too:

When to sell your stuff (when to sell)
Seller Responsibility (sellers responsibility)
What to do when an eBay item is less than described? (what to do when an ebay item is less than desribed)
Question for sellers - What countries have you shipped to? (question for sellers & what countries have been shipped to)
eBay selling advice sought - best way to get started? (ebay selling advice sought)

so with them, that should stand you in pretty good stead to get yourself going. to maximise your sales, you will prb need a paypal account too. without that, you will lose prb 90+% of international bidders and be careful of 0 feedback bidders too. might be worth you setting your seller settings just in case you get muppets trying to disrupt your auctions (there are a bunch of them going around right now)

:)

Al

ps. sometimes, selling privately is a damn sight easier, but have fun whatever way you choose :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:51 am 

notquitekarpov wrote:Am tending towards using eBay auction as solution, with a realistic reserve so info useful.

It used to be possible to set any reserve on eBayUK. But then they changed it so that the minimum reserve is £50. I presume that this is still the case. But I haven't checked.

So, you might have to use a higher starting price if the reserve of £50 is inappropriate.

If you can use lower reserves, then be very careful with them as they can have an adverse affect on the outcome. They turn a lot of buyers off if they are perceived as being set too high.

Auctions seem to do best with a low start and no reserve. Starts the feeding frenzy. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:00 am 

johnhuck wrote:Auctions seem to do best with a low start and now reserve. Starts the feeding frenzy. :wink:

have just checked. in the UK the lowest reserve price you can enter is £50.

imo, placing that on an auction, unless you KNOW its going to go higher, is a total waste of time, and youre better off just setting a higher starting price. i also reckon it discourages most bidders too.

as john says, its better to start real low, cos the majority will get bid on by peeps off here anyway, so its not like you will get nothing for them anyhow :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:29 am 

nick: with regards to your JG 52 item. here is a 1st on auction atm with three other JG books:

Judges Guild: Role-Playing | eBay

worth you watching to maybe see what happens to them?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:31 pm 

harami2000 - you have unread mail from me... and mailbox problem I think I saw elsewhere?

If it has disappeared shout and I will resend.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:09 am 

Just so folk don't think I am a timewaster - finally got my brother's scanner going and got all the magazine's done so they will be first up on eBay as individual lots over the next few weeks.

Just getting my eBay and penpal accounts activated and then will post here with links to the relevant auctions.

Oh - and Harami2000 you have mail awaiting you again!

Cheers,
Nick

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:34 pm 

notquitekarpov wrote:Just getting my eBay and penpal accounts activated and then will post here with links to the relevant auctions.

Oh - and Harami2000 you have mail awaiting you again!

Cheers,
Nick

btw. Prepare to suffer system shock as you find out how much eBay and PayPal (PenPal sounds better Image) skim from your sales.

Best wishes for those sales! :D
(And good luck to everyone else vs. Al on the fanzines. I suspect you'll need it... ;))

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:45 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Best wishes for those sales! :D
(And good luck to everyone else vs. Al on the fanzines. I suspect you'll need it... ;))

nick...you do know that youre gonna lose about 13% on fees dont ya chummer?

and yes indeed david. i REALLY want these, so whoever wants em, well you better be well prepared to shell out the reddies cos thats what its gonna take to win em :)

*dons ancient field plate and readies to fight*

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:42 pm 

13%!! Strewth - I have not studied closely but though if minimium starting bid and no bells and whistles it was about half that...

Hmmm, oh well never mind as the WWI General said when it was pointed out to him that keeping their attached artillery in the line when they withdrew the rest of the Division to rest would result in the artillery .... wait for it.... never getting any rest.

May make some private offers I have had more attractive but suspect most will still be going eBay.  Thanks for the patience all.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:52 pm 

notquitekarpov wrote:13%!! Strewth - I have not studied closely but though if minimium starting bid and no bells and whistles it was about half that...

Hmmm, oh well never mind as the WWI General said when it was pointed out to him that keeping their attached artillery in the line when they withdrew the rest of the Division to rest would result in the artillery .... wait for it.... never getting any rest.

May make some private offers I have had more attractive but suspect most will still be going eBay. Thanks for the patience all.

well i kid you not nick, 13% is about right believe me. the other sellers here will prb confirm that.

thats why the guys here were trying to get you to sell privately on here as it would save you £ in the end, but hey mate, its your stuff and you do it the way you want :)

good luck

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext