First posting! Anything rare or valuable in this lot?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:06 pm 

I have stumbled across this site today - very impressive I must say! In the next six months I will be moving house which is prompting a mass clear out of stuff - including all my old roleplay gear circa <1983 when I stopped playing. I would welcome your collective views on what is desirable from this list, best way to get rid of it (single items/packages), which market (US/UK) will most value what, etc. Pretty much everything will be disposed of somehow but I am in no big hurry... I do not use eBay at present (UK liquidity is relatively low for our hobby compared to US) but could if the majority wanted...

D&D Basic Set - single blue softcover booklet for low levels
    D&D Supplement 2 - Blackmoor
    D&D Supplement 3 - Eldritch Wizardry
    D&D Supplement 4 - Gods, Demi-Gods, & Heroes
    White Dwarf Issues 1 to around 42 - first 36 in WD logo binders (first 3 or 4 reprints)
    JG - City State of the Invincible Overlord campaign
    JG - Wilderlands of High Fantasy campaign  
    JG - Thieves of Badabaskor
    Underworld Oracle UK fanzine - complete set
    The Beholder UK fanzine - first dozen or so editions
    Trollcrusher UK fanzine - a couple of early editions
    AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (hdbk)
    AD&D Monster Manual (hdbk)
    Players Manual (softcover)

I can obviously look into editions, imprints and condition (mostly Fine or better) but not as a priority if it makes 50 cents difference!

The flip side of you guys helping me out is (1) I could put a load of stuff into your database before disposal (from the magazines), (2) you could make me an offer I cannot turn down and (3) at the very least you know it's coming on the market. Have a feeling there may be some rare stuff here but it is the fanzines that are the real unknown factor.    

Cheers!

Nick

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:08 pm 

Greetings, Nick! :)

Beware incoming offers! :P

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:28 pm 

> D&D Basic Set - single blue softcover booklet for low levels

Presume that will be a Games Workshop print, but not so much value outwith the box. (What, no dice? :))

> D&D Supplement 2 - Blackmoor
> D&D Supplement 3 - Eldritch Wizardry
> D&D Supplement 4 - Gods, Demi-Gods, & Heroes

These should sell well in the UK with a reasonable start price and a few lines of detail re. condition and printing.

> White Dwarf Issues 1 to around 42 - first 36 in WD logo binders (first 3 or 4 reprints)

Depends on whether the binders have torn the spines. (Be very careful whilst looking: these binders can be vicious :()
If the spines are intact and the zines are in at least VG condition, the first 15 or so are usually saleable individually. The reprints were doing very well a few months ago (absurdly so, I'd say), but it might be worth waiting for someone else to play "pathfinder" on that again.

The binders themselves are worth selling individually. Have seen £10+ each, if in good condition! 8O

> JG - City State of the Invincible Overlord campaign
> JG - Wilderlands of High Fantasy campaign
> JG - Thieves of Badabaskor

Would definitely help to have printings ID'd. Scans and a few questions should suffice to pin those down.

> Underworld Oracle UK fanzine - complete set

Does that include #7. Also, are any "reprints"- clearly marked on the cover.

> The Beholder UK fanzine - first dozen or so editions

Few people appear to be worried about cover price/color; indicating how old the prints are.

> Trollcrusher UK fanzine - a couple of early editions

With all the zines it's a tough call on how to sell them.
From a purely mercenary standpoint, selling individual issues has generally been better in the past (barring a few of the more common items which would be better bundled in with other items).

Some of the recent prices for complete runs were crazily high, though.

For any example, I can think of a counter.

> AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (hdbk)

Worth checking for the first print, but is unlikely in the UK given the distribution issues. Of little value save as packing for the PHB below, perhaps.

> AD&D Monster Manual (hdbk)

Yellow banner at the top?
Page Not Found
Page Not Found

> Players Manual (softcover)

Condition is all important for that.

Page Not Found

A good one should sell well, even though the Games Workshop printings haven't been rated particularly highly recently. (Possibly as they don't have a "main listing" on Page Not Found ?)

> I can obviously look into editions, imprints and condition (mostly Fine or better) but not as a priority if it makes 50 cents difference!

In most cases, worthwhile; and definitely for the above items.

Good, honest descriptions and scans almost always help realisations, too.

JM-02c... :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:44 pm 

harami2000 wrote:> D&D Basic Set - single blue softcover booklet for low levels

Presume that will be a Games Workshop print, but not so much value outwith the box. (What, no dice? :))

Nope - I had the boxes basic set and Sup 1 - Greyhawk too but I have found no trace in my storage box!

harami2000 wrote:
> White Dwarf Issues 1 to around 42 - first 36 in WD logo binders (first 3 or 4 reprints)

Depends on whether the binders have torn the spines. (Be very careful whilst looking: these binders can be vicious :()
If the spines are intact and the zines are in at least VG condition, the first 15 or so are usually saleable individually. The reprints were doing very well a few months ago (absurdly so, I'd say), but it might be worth waiting for someone else to play "pathfinder" on that again.

The binders themselves are worth selling individually. Have seen £10+ each, if in good condition! 8O

Indeed some of the spines are damaged, none completely gone though. Remember these were used working copies - the binder were there to protect them! Seems crazy to have to split them up to get best price but I bow to your knowledge...

harami2000 wrote:
> JG - City State of the Invincible Overlord campaign
> JG - Wilderlands of High Fantasy campaign
> JG - Thieves of Badabaskor

Would definitely help to have printings ID'd. Scans and a few questions should suffice to pin those down.

Will do - when I go and use my brother's scanner or borrow a digital camara (I am not very tooled up! A ludite that's me  :) )

harami2000 wrote:
> Underworld Oracle UK fanzine - complete set

Does that include #7. Also, are any "reprints"- clearly marked on the cover.

Nope - all original editions including no.7 the infamous colour A4 edition before the whole thing promptly folded! With 5 editions of my sub to boot - an elephant never forgets!  :evil:

harami2000 wrote:
> The Beholder UK fanzine - first dozen or so editions

Few people appear to be worried about cover price/color; indicating how old the prints are.

Cool! The editor, Phil Masters IRCC, was briefly a member of our games club but I think our style of play did not suit him. I think when a gelatinous cube appeared decorated with whipped cream and a cherry on top he realised he was fighting a losing battle  :wink:  

Sounds like I have some work to do. Will post more as and when I complete the task. Dribs and drabs probably so bear with me....

Nick

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:20 pm 

notquitekarpov wrote:I would welcome your collective views on what is desirable from this list

Welcome!  (go with eBay unless you get direct offers)
D&D Basic Set - single blue softcover booklet for low levels

Little to nothing, unless it's a very early print and/or has a "fairy" logo on the first page.
D&D Supplement 2 - Blackmoor
D&D Supplement 3 - Eldritch Wizardry
D&D Supplement 4 - Gods, Demi-Gods, & Heroes

Depending on condition, you could get a fair bit ($20, possibly much more if they are early printings) for these.  Most people around here don't think they're rare, but good luck finding one in a used bookstore.  Printings matter, with earlier = better.  Harami might be interested in getting some "product list" info from the back pages of each, if they are printings he hasn't recorded yet. ;)

White Dwarf Issues 1 to around 42 - first 36 in WD logo binders (first 3 or 4 reprints)
JG - City State of the Invincible Overlord campaign
Underworld Oracle UK fanzine - complete set
The Beholder UK fanzine - first dozen or so editions
Trollcrusher UK fanzine - a couple of early editions

No idea, don't collect 'em...moving on.

AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (hdbk)
AD&D Monster Manual (hdbk)

Depending on printing, anywhere from $0 to $60 USD.  Maybe more if they're both early and in good shape.  You'll still probably get more from them on eBay than your local shop if they're run of the mill.  Consider your minimum bid carefully...

Players Manual (softcover)

Players Manual(red book?) or Players Handbook (um...usually a demon idol or wizard).
The manual won't be worth much unless it's a sought-after UK version.  The handbook will do well, given that it's a softcover, and therefore the Games Workshop UK version...

As always, the devil is in the details.  If you need more questions answered let us know.  :)

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:24 pm 

> Indeed some of the spines are damaged, none completely gone though.

OK...

> Remember these were used working copies - the binder were there to protect them! Seems crazy to have to split them up to get best price but I bow to your knowledge...

Please don't take any response as definitive and all auctions vary; and none of us have seen a single scan yet, of course!
The later issues won't sell well separately, so they'd probably have to be "clumped", somehow.

Hypothetically: As a complete run, people might work from a mental base of say £175 and then deduct for condition, reprints, etc.
A reseller might expect to win at around £125 or so.

If the binders are good, they might look for (lowish?) resale values of:
3 * binders = £30
WD1 reprint = £25-30
WD2-4 reprints = £45
WD5-10 @ £12-8 each = £50-55
WD11-15 @ £4 each = £20
WD16-36 (together) = £30
= £200 resale, minus fees

Anything above that is a further bonus and the first three on that list have a good possibility of going much higher.
As a single lot you might preclude such a possibility by having all your eggs in one bask.

Again, please only take these figures as approximate and just my 02 cents as to one possible route to proceed down.
- If you can find people looking for particular issues, by all means pick up the money for those ones first! Potentially time consuming, though.
- If the condition really isn't good, you might actually get the best price as a complete run, as there are people desperate to acquire those issues at a "decent" price (and I can't see much less than £125, regardless).
- etc. etc.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:29 pm 

notquitekarpov wrote:Phil Masters IRCC, was briefly a member of our games club but I think our style of play did not suit him. I think when a gelatinous cube appeared decorated with whipped cream and a cherry on top he realised he was fighting a losing battle :wink:

:lol: :lol:

*files that anecdote for re-use*. Thanks for the smile! :D

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:44 pm 

notquitekarpov wrote:JG - City State of the Invincible Overlord campaign

Cheers!

Nick

Am interested in these..
Scans of course would be helpful and if you could tell me what the highest # is found in the list of Judges Guild products (usually found near the back or on the cover sheet.)

Thanks,
ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:03 pm 

well he already knows i want the fanzines off him :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:23 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
notquitekarpov wrote:D&D Basic Set - single blue softcover booklet for low levels

Little to nothing, unless it's a very early print and/or has a "fairy" logo on the first page.

Is it this one:
Page Not Found

If so, figure about £40 if in reasonably good condition with the perforated last page present and attached.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:43 pm 

Some very recent fanzine auctions in case you hadn't already spotted or been directed to them.  Just to give you an idea of the market.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8708322912
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8708315970
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8708312056
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8708307499

But with eBay figure on anywhere between 50-200% of what you were expecting!  Sometimes even more or less! 8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:33 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Some very recent fanzine auctions in case you hadn't already spotted or been directed to them. Just to give you an idea of the market.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8708322912
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8708315970
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8708312056
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8708307499

But with eBay figure on anywhere between 50-200% of what you were expecting! Sometimes even more or less! 8O

just a pointer on them trollcrusher ones...they only went to that much cos i bid at the last second. if i hadnt, the winning bid would have been about £20 lower...

but what jon says is absolutely true tho....you really never can tell

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:57 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:just a pointer on them trollcrusher ones...they only went to that much cos i bid at the last second. if i hadnt, the winning bid would have been about £20 lower...

I had a "hidden snipe" in there, too (£26 for the eight).

Christophe needs #7 but I wouldn't be surprised to see some/many of the others back on eBay.
(I know I'm now missing a couple of the newest ones, on the other hand; think they walked at Uni... :().

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:00 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Christophe needs #7

Me too.  And #6.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:10 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
harami2000 wrote:Christophe needs #7

Me too. And #6.

And #5? :?:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:23 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:Me too. And #6.

And #5? :?:

Sorry, I was talking UO not TC.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:28 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
harami2000 wrote:And #5? :?:

Sorry, I was talking UO not TC.

Ah...

Might've been worth a dawn raid to impound TC #1-5 for research purposes.
Thanks for saving me the journey! :D

(Missing odd issues, for whatever reason, is a major pain...)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:25 am 

well we all know I want a couple of the zines;)

Brette:)

Next