About old game retailer magazines
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:18 pm 

Does anybody own any of them? Judging from my scant data, there were Game Merchandising, Hobby Merchandiser and Model Retailer. The llast two were, it seems, model oriented publications devoting significant space to adventure gaming. Game Merchandising, instead, was fully gaming oriented. Do you have ever seen them? Do you know other magazines? I'm always on the lookout for them, but they seem awfully hard to find.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:23 pm 

Comics & Games Retailer has info in this, it's current form, as well as when it was just called Comics Retailer.  I've ditched most of my back issues over the years, so I can't help you there.

If you're interested, you can find info on the magazine at Collector Guide Books for Coins, Guns, Knives, Cars, Antiques & more!  | Krause Books

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:30 pm 

grodog wrote:Comics & Games Retailer has info in this, it's current form, as well as when it was just called Comics Retailer. I've ditched most of my back issues over the years, so I can't help you there.

If you're interested, you can find info on the magazine at Collector Guide Books for Coins, Guns, Knives, Cars, Antiques & more!  | Krause Books

Thanks for the reply, but I am already on the mailing list of the magazine. I was interested in the old ones because the beginning and the development of the industry really fascinate me. I must add that, if compared to Game Merchandising or Model Retailer, C&G Retailer is surely graphically more attractive, full color, with many photos. The old magazines, however, were much more 'meaty' :D and some of their suggestions are still useful to me today. Noting the great importance of RPGs at the time, compared to today  :cry: , for hobby retailers, I wonder about what people like me will think of today's retail situation reading such magazines (well, if anybody bothers at all :wink: ) and think about their situation. CCGs seem having taken the place of RPGs as THE hobby item to sell. It seems I'll never be able to find other issues of Game Merchandising :cry: :cry: :cry: . Two years ago there was an auction on EBay, I bidded what I thought it was an unbeatable sum (fifty dollars!!!), I forgot about the auction and I was... BEATEN! Aargh :x (still burning after all the time  8O )

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:44 pm 

Sotterraneo,

You can expect more "meatiness" in Comics & Games Retailer in the months to come. The new Managing Editor... that would be ME  :D  ... has big plans for the magazine. It'll be an uphill battle from nearly a decade of "same old, same old," but hopefully changes will be apparent within a few months...

James Mishler
Managing Editor, Comics & Games Retailer
Associate Editor, Scrye

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:28 am 

Congrats James :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing