I1-Dwellers of the Forbidden City Shrinkwrapped
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:33 pm 

Hey All, I wanted to run this past everyone to see what your thoughts were. Over the last couple of months, I have purchased several copies of I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City in shrinkwrap. The interesting thing is that the shrink is different than the nromal old style TSR shrinkwrapped modules. They appear to be reshrinked. They have no airholes anywhere, obvious seams, etc. Now, under normal circumstances I would think nothing of it, but this seems to be an exception. The thing that has me so confused is that I have bought these from 3 different and completely independant sellers, and all 3 are located in completely different areas of the US. One seller is from Massachusetts, one seller was from New York, and the 3rd seller was from Chicago, Ill. Another thing about it that kind of caught my attention is the fact that all of them are absolutely perfect looking, I mean they are flawless. If I was guessing, that even if they were reshrinked, that none of them were ever even opened and read. Additionally, 2 of the 3 sellers that I bought from, I also purchased a different shrinkwrapped module, that came along with it and it is clearly in original old-style TSR shrink(Airholes & shrink flap on the back side in the middle of the booklet. Now I already have a I1 in the old style shrink, buy my question is this: Is this just a sheer coincidence? Are all of these just reshrinked, or does anyone know if for some reason TSR either experimented with a different type of shrinkwrap in the early 80's or perhaps did they have a shortage of the stuff they normally used and kind of winged it like they were prone to do back in those days?? Any thoughts?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:39 pm 

Maybe they all purchased them from the same person who is re-shrinking them?

John

Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion.

P.S. Good luck on The Character Archaic :evil:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:22 am 

pleveich wrote:Maybe they all purchased them from the same person who is re-shrinking them?

John

That may be a possibility, but unless the one seller was ying to me, he indicated that he had just found them recently in someone's basement from an old closed hobby store that had been stored there for years, it is unlikely. I guess if some one was reshrinking them years ago and selling them in mass, its possible. Any other thoughts. C'mon dammit I see you all are looking, give me some feedback. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:54 am 

bclarkie wrote:
pleveich wrote:Maybe they all purchased them from the same person who is re-shrinking them?

John

That may be a possibility, but unless the one seller was ying to me, he indicated that he had just found them recently in someone's basement from an old closed hobby store that had been stored there for years, it is unlikely. I guess if some one was reshrinking them years ago and selling them in mass, its possible. Any other thoughts. C'mon dammit I see you all are looking, give me some feedback. :)

Seems entirely plausible that they were experimenting with SW, Brian.  I held off posting as I'm the last person to know anything about it, though.  I don't do SW ('cept maybe for resale).

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:47 am 

Hmmm... my copy has the airholes and overlap on the back, but I seem to remember other modules that didnt have them. Cant find any right now though. I'm sure Frank could shed some light on it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:10 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:Hmmm... my copy has the airholes and overlap on the back, but I seem to remember other modules that didnt have them. Cant find any right now though. I'm sure Frank could shed some light on it.

Funny, I also own one with the normal shrink on it but I bought that awhile ago. Weird...

*<crosses fingers hoping Frank can shed some light on this>*

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:04 pm 

I have a ton of shrinkwraped items from when I helped TSR move to WOTC. I can let you know the early TSR items shrinkwraping jobs where kinda cheap. If you have photos I can tell you if it looks right depending on which item you are asking about.

"If at first you don't succeed, pay someone else to do it." -upper management

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:18 pm 

How about comparing prints? I1 has different printings - see if the "odd" looking ones are from the same print. Compare it to your "old style" shrink and to some unshrinked ones.

There are also size differences with I1 as well as obvious (ISBN, product code, etc.) differences.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:51 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:How about comparing prints? I1 has different printings - see if the "odd" looking ones are from the same print. Compare it to your "old style" shrink and to some unshrinked ones.

There are also size differences with I1 as well as obvious (ISBN, product code, etc.) differences.

Ahh, good point. :wink:   I will have to check that out. I will also get some pics and post them. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:29 pm 

I generally do not go out of my way for shrinked copies of modules, but I do have an I1 in the shrink. I snagged it a couple years ago, I think. I never bothered to examine the shrink, but I will later this evening...

Seems to me a strange choice to reshrink. But I know my copy is also perfect - no spine creases or that sort of thing.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/