COMPETITION AND TOURNAMENT ADVENTURES
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:14 pm 

I recently bought four different AD&D Competition Adventures from the 1984 MASSCONFUSION Convention. The titles are:  -The Book of Paith by Robert Jennings(black plastic spiral bound) -The Tomb of St. Duncan by Duncan Davenport(stapled) -Dragonrunners of Kola by Ian Ralph(black plastic spiral bound) -Torture Tower by Roger Anderson(black plastic spiral bound)  I also have two adventures from Gencon IX, both by Bob Blake.  -The Official Dungeon of GenCon IX 2nd Edition Preliminary Round(loose pages in a plastic binder) -The Official Dungeon of Gen Con IX 2nd Edition Final Round(loose pages in a plastic binder)  The person I bought these from stated that he got them directly from Bob Blake at GenCon. I think these might be pre-pub versions. Anyone have any idea as to the value or rarity of these items? I have not had any luck finding info on these.  Thanks, Burntwire

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:50 pm 

burntwire wrote:I recently bought four different AD&D Competition Adventures from the 1984 MASSCONFUSION Convention. The titles are:  -The Book of Paith by Robert Jennings(black plastic spiral bound) -The Tomb of St. Duncan by Duncan Davenport(stapled) -Dragonrunners of Kola by Ian Ralph(black plastic spiral bound) -Torture Tower by Roger Anderson(black plastic spiral bound)  I also have two adventures from Gencon IX, both by Bob Blake.  -The Official Dungeon of GenCon IX 2nd Edition Preliminary Round(loose pages in a plastic binder) -The Official Dungeon of Gen Con IX 2nd Edition Final Round(loose pages in a plastic binder)  The person I bought these from stated that he got them directly from Bob Blake at GenCon. I think these might be pre-pub versions. Anyone have any idea as to the value or rarity of these items? I have not had any luck finding info on these.  Thanks, Burntwire
 At one stage Aaron was selling a whole heap of massconfusion modules (and I believe he still has some for sale now), A believe that a whole heap were offloaded through him, I have about 10 or so of them (of most interest to the people here are the folowing):  Book of Paith (AD&D) Condo of Dr Demento, The (generic Fantasy) Dragonrunners of Kola (AD&D) Lady Eileen's Castle (AD&D) Tomb of St Duncan, The (AD&D) Torture Tower (AD&D) Werewold Country (AD&D)  But there are also a couple of Gamma World ones , CoC one, James Bond one, just off top of my head. I think Aaron was selling em for $15-$20us, but I have seen em for sale on ebay for a bit less $7us odd. Most are spiral bound or stapled, and are in mintish condition as  believe they came straight from storage...  The two Gencon ones are the ones I believe you bought off ebay for $20;) they prob be worth more but how much is anyones guess....  BTW if anyone has convention modules for sale/trade I actually collect em and would be interested in em...  Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:52 pm 

I bought my copies of the Massconfusion modules from fabficbks years ago and he is still selling the same titles on ebay to this day.  He must have quite a number of them or makes copies as needed...  My copy of GenCon IX dungeons would look identical to yours if I took off the cover and split it into the two rounds.  The only thing unique to your copy is the handout, mine is obviously a photocopy and yours appears original.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:49 am 

This thread has a discussion on the GenCon IX Dungeons:  Woodgrain went quick today!  You have to slog through all the hatemail about that wacko "burntwire" before you get to it, though.  Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:50 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3114986806  The general understanding concerning your copy Devon is that none of us who have one can confirm whether or not yours is a tournament copy or a later print missing the original red or green cover. What mainly caused my confusion was the "ye olde" parchment style inserts included. Our later prints have the preliminary and final round booklets all bound together with a color cover without this insert. Your auction listing actually mentions it is a second edition so this might help date it a bit more.   Value is tough to call. If this is justed a copy missing the cover then the only item of substantial value is the parchment inserts. If it is truly some kind of original set then it should be worth much more than the Buy It Now value in the auction.  I have only noticed 2 others up for auction on ebay since 98 and I lucked out to get one of them. I think I paid $80 something for mine and cant remember what the other went for.  Later. :)  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:17 am 

Thanks for all the info guys :D . As he bought these directly from Bob Blake at a GenCon convention(he said the year after they were originaly played) I would have to say that they are pre-publication versions of the red and green cover copies. I think the red and green cover versions were printed in Valpraiso Indiana. These are copies he probably made himself and sold these before the actual publication copies. Maybe I can track down Bob Blake somehow and get confirmation directly from him. Anyone out there know Bob :) ?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:09 pm 

I'd heard that Bob died about two years ago, unfortunately.  Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:35 pm 

Hi Devon,  Do you think those could be originals or prepubs if they have second edition printed on them?  BTW-I would vote the artwork on the cover and inside this module set to be the worst of any item I have ever seen in RPG's. (no disrespect for Bob intended please :) )  Later. Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:01 pm 

I compared my copies with the ones on the Non-TSR list. My copies look like the red cover first page scan. Mine were never punched and are not copies of a punched version. Also mine look alot clearer than the scans posted. I think these are copies he sold before he published the Red or Green covers. I would imagine the first editions were the actual tournament modules played at GenCon IX making my versions possible pre-pubs to the Red and Green covers(the same way that the R series pre-pubs worked). I could be wrong and if what Foulfoot says is true the world may never know :( .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:22 am 

Pricing for these is a bit dicey...  for starters, not alot of people know about them, and secondly, those that do tend to worry a little over whether they are forking over cash for a photocopy.  I know a few people that won't buy anything spiral bound or AG modules for this reason.  Hell, its the reason I didn't bid too high on that huge lot of AG modules a few months back...  the seller was REALLY evasive about which ones he had, wouldn't give me a listing, wouldn't verify if they were real or photocopies, etc.  I figured it was just too risky. Of course, I tend to look at things like these as kind of neat, but not worth a ton of money.  I'd imagine having them signed would give some kind of authenticity (of course, nothing to stop somebody from forging a signature too).