2nd ed. Chainmail (yellow cover)
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:11 pm 

1.  How much would you pay for one in excellent condition?  

2.  How rare are they?  I know it's rated a 5 on the rarity scale, but how often do they come up for sale?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:28 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:1. How much would you pay for one in excellent condition?

2. How rare are they? I know it's rated a 5 on the rarity scale, but how often do they come up for sale?

I dont know exactly how rare they are but I have only seen 3 sold this year, which is exactly 1 less than ST1s in the same time frame. :P  I wouls say that are pretty rare

Personally I would be willing to pay up to $400.00 for 1 depending on my fianancial situation and condition of the item. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:30 pm 

1. ~$375-400. (It wasn't really a high, high value item until the last few sales and I haven't shifted my opinion from the previous consensus.

Only Jeff and Paul bid > $425 in that latest eBay sale and the GenCon auction had similar interest up to around the ~$400 mark).

Would personally rather have a VGish copy at ~$225, btw.

2. Including non-eBay sales, perhaps twice or three times as often as the 1st edition. (I wouldn't be surprised if someone had firm figures to show the print run figures were somewhat closer together, but that's not how it appears to be panning out).

02c only... ;)

==

*hint*. Ask Jeff... :P

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:29 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:1. How much would you pay for one in excellent condition?

I dont know exactly how rare they are but I have only seen 3 sold this year, which is exactly 1 less than ST1s in the same time frame. :P I wouls say that are pretty rare

Personally I would be willing to pay up to $400.00 for 1 depending on my fianancial situation and condition of the item. :)

Hmmm...so 21 pounds, then?  :lol:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:04 am 

Here it is.  There's some light rubbing to the spine and a bit of cover discoloration, but otherwise it's flawless.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:19 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Here it is. There's some light rubbing to the spine and a bit of cover discoloration, but otherwise it's flawless.

[ Image ]

Are you offering this up for sale, or are you just showing off? :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:24 am 

Some months ago, in an auction with other items, I've bought a 2nd edition Chaimail (1st print).

It was in a condition that I can state as "very good" or "fine" (it's old but it's not damaged).

I've paid 791 USD for the whole auction (I was interested in the white box only) in which there were:

- a white box (4th or so print: with hobbits and ents);

- 2nd edition Chainmail;

- Arduin grimoire (I), first print, and Book of monsters.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Giorgio

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:25 am 

hehe...yeah, it might be on the block, depending on how much interest there is.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:38 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:hehe...yeah, it might be on the block, depending on how much interest there is.

by that you mean if someone flashes the reddies high enough you will take it :)

dunno why ppl just dont say that :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:17 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:hehe...yeah, it might be on the block, depending on how much interest there is.

I would definitely be interested in it, but cash flow right now is not so good. :( Maybe after I offload a bunch of stuff if you still have it. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:03 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

by that you mean if someone flashes the reddies high enough you will take it :)

dunno why ppl just dont say that :D

The last time I flashed my reddies, I got arrested...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:32 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
The last time I flashed my reddies, I got arrested...

:D  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:37 am 

Hey I am interested for sure, one question though why you selling all the rares?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:37 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Hey I am interested for sure, one question though why you selling all the rares?

I've got some dups, plus I need to make a supportive gesture to my wife's budding business as a glass artist.  She needs a larger kiln to start making things like custom sinks and Dragonchess boards (waves to Allan).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:59 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Here it is. There's some light rubbing to the spine and a bit of cover discoloration, but otherwise it's flawless.

[ Image ]

I read the previous owner's name as "Kraken", the first time... :oops:

Small sticker residue, too, and a few other minor faults but it ain't bad at all given the high-res image. Crisp, clean and white inside, Stephen?

Staples should be pretty clean, I trust. (The metal compound staples on similar Guidon pubs is certainly more rust-resistant than TSR's circa 1975/6).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:26 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Small sticker residue, too, and a few other minor faults but it ain't bad at all given the high-res image. Crisp, clean and white inside, Stephen?

Staples should be pretty clean, I trust. (The metal compound staples on similar Guidon pubs is certainly more rust-resistant than TSR's circa 1975/6).

Hi David,

There's a faint stain, about the size of a quarter, on the inside top edge of the Combat Tables page that carries through to the adjacent Jousting matrix page, but otherwise things are nice and white on the inside.  If necessary, I'll take a scan of the aforementioned pages, but at this point I don't want to stress the book.

The staples do have some rust, though not bad, both on the spine side and inside.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:41 pm 

Thank you, Stephen.

Yes, that's when a digital camera wins hands-down over a scanner. :(

I know I'd be very reluctant to scan, even though the Chainmail cardstock (well, the heavier sort at least) isn't quite as prone to spine cracking as 2nd, and especially 3rd, print OD&D books.

Still sounds pretty good to me.

(With regards any rust; nothing like a typical 1st Blackmoor, say! ;)).