D&D Matchbook revisited
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:37 am 

Hello all!

I've wandered back into discussions, and now have scans available of the Dungeons & Dragons matchbook cover from my collection that I was talking about back in May.

Unfortunately I had a slew of computer problems and other distractions, but (hopefully) that's all behind me now.

Anyway, I'm trying to paste the image into this message, so people can tell me their opinions on this item's rarity and/or value.  I know the condition's crap, unfortunately...

I hope I'm doing this right -- anyone can tell me if I'm not... If not, then paste the below links into your web browser.

Cheers,

John aka Wandering Monster

http://members.cox.net/jshallri/matchbook1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/jshallri/matchbook2.jpg

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:52 am 

Thanks for the scan. It is identical to the Matchbook that we have also. The one we have came from Tom Wham's match collection and is in pretty much mint condition. Maybe we will list it soon although it will have a reserve.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:44 am 

I'd forgot. I've got one of those around the house somewhere, too. Never used em.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:20 am 

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the replies and feedback to this topic!   :D

However, I am curious to know if anyone has ever sold one of these matchbooks on eBay (in whatever condition) and if so, what have they gone for?

Cheers,
John
aka Wandering Monster

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:31 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hello everyone!

Thanks for the replies and feedback to this topic! :D

However, I am curious to know if anyone has ever sold one of these matchbooks on eBay (in whatever condition) and if so, what have they gone for?

Cheers,

John

aka Wandering Monster

As promised, the burntwire brothers put theirs on EBay this week. Theirs is in prime condition and it is currently standing at $73.00 with 4 hours to go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Li ... dZViewItem

I will not be surprised to see that get quite a push at the end probably putting it over $125.00, but keep in mind that theirs is almost perfect, and they typically do much better then the average EBay seller due to their excellent reputation. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:01 pm 

Hello, all!

Well, it looks like that pristine matchbook went for US $76.00 to someone...  Guess I'll have to list mine pretty soon, but I certainly don't expect to get that kind of $$ for my beat-to-hell matchbook!  :?

Cheers,
John
aka Wandering Monster

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:55 am 

Hello, all!

Just thought I'd give everyone the "heads up" that my matchbook cover is now posted on eBay and available for bidding:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-D-D-Dungeons-Dr ... dZViewItem

Cheers,

John

aka Wandering Monster

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:14 am 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hello, all!

Well, it looks like that pristine matchbook went for US $76.00 to someone... Guess I'll have to list mine pretty soon, but I certainly don't expect to get that kind of $$ for my beat-to-hell matchbook! :?

Cheers,
John
aka Wandering Monster

Interesting stuff.  As a "disposable" item, unlike a book, you'd expect the survival rate on these to be low, especially in pristine condition.  I won't talk about value because it's even more subjective than usual.   If I got my hands on these, I'd use the remaining matches and keep the cover...who wants to store matches near their collection?  Not me!

YIM