Basic (red) Sets US v Aust Editions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2020
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:07 am 
 

To assist with queries with Australian and US versions of these boxes. Although not rare, but for the sake of completeness.....



After comparing the following sets:

US set (13th version)

Aust set (2nd print)

I've noticed the following in addition to that provided in

Page Not Found



External box:

Aust: has different products under playing aids on back cover:

       AC1 Shady Dragon Inn

       AC2 Combat Shield

       AC3 Dragon Tiles

       AC4 Book of Marvelous Magic

       AC6 Player Character Records

Aust: Picture of crayon not present between dice. Set I purchased new included crayon with dice



Internal box:

Aust: Red cover appears to be glued to a gray box, which clearly shows on inside. US version appears to be printed onto white card forming part of the box itself.



Booklets:

Aust: staples appear to be slightly smaller and closer together on bindings

US: booklets appear slightly shorter than covers (top & bottom) Aust fit to covers.



Additional:

Aust: came with a loose-leaf one page flyer from distributer 'Jedko Games', advertising AD&D miniatures. AUD prices and figures listed itemized A to T. (funnily enough item H : Hobgoblins actually has an Umberhulk picture featured)



(side note: unfortunately the set hasn't been 'Australian'ized in any way, and these monsters haven't been added, though should have: 'Koala' under Bear on page 26; or 'Were-Dingoes' (Hi Lindy!) instead of 'Werewolves' on page 34   :cry:  :wink: )

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:38 am 
 

Thanks, Brendon. :)



I was pretty sure the content hadn't changed but didn't have a U.S. print to cross-check. :oops:

Is the cardstock on the Ozzie booklets not heavier/glossier? It certainly "felt/smelt different" to what I remember the US set being like.



The (red on white) loose-leaf page is very often missing in the sets I've seen up for sale.



AdderMcOne wrote:(side note: unfortunately the set hasn't been 'Australian'ized in any way, and these monsters haven't been added, though should have: 'Koala' under Bear on page 26; or 'Were-Dingoes' (Hi Lindy!) instead of 'Werewolves' on page 34 :cry: :wink: )


Yup, a pity instead. Sorry, Ian... :(

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2020
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:35 am 
 

Harami2000 wrote

Is the cardstock on the Ozzie booklets not heavier/glossier? It certainly "felt/smelt different" to what I remember the US set being like.





Directly comparing the two, the cardstock feels the same (thickness/smoothness etc). However the colour on the Aussie set is ever so slightly a more 'pinkish" red.

The printing inside the US version is also slightly darker, and shading on paragraphs darker  (only 1 or 2 shades though).

I would say the difference is not due to age/light exposure.



No discernible difference in smell that I could make out. :(

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:45 am 
 

AdderMcOne wrote:Directly comparing the two, the cardstock feels the same (thickness/smoothness etc). However the colour on the Aussie set is ever so slightly a more 'pinkish" red.

The printing inside the US version is also slightly darker, and shading on paragraphs darker (only 1 or 2 shades though).

I would say the difference is not due to age/light exposure.


Jedko did a pretty good job duplicating the original, then. (Nothing like the earlier Ozzie prints in that regard!).



Thanks again for saving me having to pick up a US set for comparison! :)



AdderMcOne wrote:No discernible difference in smell that I could make out. :(


Pity... Now if only that had weredingoes... :lol:

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1