Basic (red) Sets US v Aust Editions
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:07 am 

To assist with queries with Australian and US versions of these boxes. Although not rare, but for the sake of completeness.....

After comparing the following sets:

US set (13th version)

Aust set (2nd print)

I've noticed the following in addition to that provided in

Page Not Found

External box:

Aust: has different products under playing aids on back cover:

AC1 Shady Dragon Inn

AC2 Combat Shield

AC3 Dragon Tiles

AC4 Book of Marvelous Magic

AC6 Player Character Records

Aust: Picture of crayon not present between dice. Set I purchased new included crayon with dice

Internal box:

Aust: Red cover appears to be glued to a gray box, which clearly shows on inside. US version appears to be printed onto white card forming part of the box itself.

Booklets:

Aust: staples appear to be slightly smaller and closer together on bindings

US: booklets appear slightly shorter than covers (top & bottom) Aust fit to covers.

Additional:

Aust: came with a loose-leaf one page flyer from distributer 'Jedko Games', advertising AD&D miniatures. AUD prices and figures listed itemized A to T. (funnily enough item H : Hobgoblins actually has an Umberhulk picture featured)

(side note: unfortunately the set hasn't been 'Australian'ized in any way, and these monsters haven't been added, though should have: 'Koala' under Bear on page 26; or 'Were-Dingoes' (Hi Lindy!) instead of 'Werewolves' on page 34   :cry:  :wink: )

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:38 am 

Thanks, Brendon. :)

I was pretty sure the content hadn't changed but didn't have a U.S. print to cross-check. :oops:

Is the cardstock on the Ozzie booklets not heavier/glossier? It certainly "felt/smelt different" to what I remember the US set being like.

The (red on white) loose-leaf page is very often missing in the sets I've seen up for sale.

AdderMcOne wrote:(side note: unfortunately the set hasn't been 'Australian'ized in any way, and these monsters haven't been added, though should have: 'Koala' under Bear on page 26; or 'Were-Dingoes' (Hi Lindy!) instead of 'Werewolves' on page 34 :cry: :wink: )

Yup, a pity instead. Sorry, Ian... :(

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:35 am 

Harami2000 wrote

Is the cardstock on the Ozzie booklets not heavier/glossier? It certainly "felt/smelt different" to what I remember the US set being like.

Directly comparing the two, the cardstock feels the same (thickness/smoothness etc). However the colour on the Aussie set is ever so slightly a more 'pinkish" red.

The printing inside the US version is also slightly darker, and shading on paragraphs darker  (only 1 or 2 shades though).

I would say the difference is not due to age/light exposure.

No discernible difference in smell that I could make out. :(

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:45 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Directly comparing the two, the cardstock feels the same (thickness/smoothness etc). However the colour on the Aussie set is ever so slightly a more 'pinkish" red.

The printing inside the US version is also slightly darker, and shading on paragraphs darker (only 1 or 2 shades though).

I would say the difference is not due to age/light exposure.

Jedko did a pretty good job duplicating the original, then. (Nothing like the earlier Ozzie prints in that regard!).

Thanks again for saving me having to pick up a US set for comparison! :)

AdderMcOne wrote:No discernible difference in smell that I could make out. :(

Pity... Now if only that had weredingoes... :lol: