Chaos Wars by Ral Partha
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:10 pm 

Hey All, looking for a little help here. I acquired this box set on EBay a few months ago in a larger lot and I was woindering what the value of it might be. The box set is still in its origianl plastic however the previous owner didn in fact open it. The item is complete though because I checked the contents versus what the back of the box said should be included. Here is a picture:

First off, I would like to know what the value of this might be. Secondly is there anyone interested in purchasing this before I dump it on EBay, because I know that there quite a few minis collectors here and I would like to give those the first shot at it. Regardless though, any help would be much appreciated. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:09 am 

The image isn't working for me, even when I click on it as a link.  

What's the title of the box set?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:38 am 

dathon wrote:The image isn't working for me, even when I click on it as a link.

What's the title of the box set?

Hmm, mine works. maybe its your firewall.

Try this one:

[img=http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3579/img07286dk.th.jpg]

or this one:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

or maybe this one:

Or how about this one:

[img=http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3579/img07286dk.th.jpg]

Grrrr, I cant seem to get imageshack to actually put the picture on the site. :x  Time to switch to a better picture hosting site.

Anyway, if I had to guess this would have been the first one that they produced. Its a grey box with red writing and a big circular picture in the midle that shows some close ups of some minis and the Chaos Wars label in the dead center. The title is Rules According to Ral for Minature Fantasy Battles.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:48 pm 

How about this one:

I think that that should be better. :) Now, does anyone know anything about this?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:15 am 

First time I've seen it.  Generally old miniatures rules don't do very well unless it's Heritage or TSR.  Grenadier's Fantasy Warriors system sells for very little.  I had one Companion volume in the shrinkwrap that I had to post twice before selling it for the $9.99 opening bid.  But this set could be different since the cover says it contains 5 miniatures... are those minis available elsewhere or just in this set?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:38 am 

dathon wrote: But this set could be different since the cover says it contains 5 miniatures... are those minis available elsewhere or just in this set?

I am not sure. It lists as 99-001 Bonus Pack-The Chaos War Press Gang. :? The five minis inside are all lead and of which there are 2 guys with guns, 1 who looks like maybe an old Russian Soldier & 1 who looks more futuristic becuase he has a full helmet(space helmet possibly?) on. Also, there is a guy with an axe, a guy with a mace and a 3-Musketeers looking guy in the process of drawing his sword. If it will help I can post a picture of the minis as well. One other thing of note is that before I posted, I checked on EBay current and past auctions, and the 3 biggest resellers I know of(Titan, Dragons Trove, & Noble Night) and none of them had it either. Maybe it is pretty rare or maybe it was such garbage that everyone who bought it just threw it away, I dont know.

<edit> A couple of other things of note. First off it copyrights in 1987. Secondly, after doing a google search for it I have been able to find a couple of mentions of it, I have yet been able to find anyone else who even has a picture of it. Everywhere that listed it either the site is now down completely or the link on the site where it was at is now dead.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:23 pm 

Being that it doesnt seem like anyone including me has any clue as to what this is, I will be dumping it on EBay in the couple weeks if anyone is interested. If anyone comes across any info, it still would be greatly appreciated. :)