Perilous Encounters
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:37 am 

I have a near mint condition copy of Perilous Encounters by Stephen L. Lortz, and an equally minty copy of the free suppliment Dragon Pass Conventions for Perilous Encounters by Greg Stafford.

I don't know anything about these other than the latter was published by Chaosium and so I assume there is a tie in to Runequest maybe?

I also have a copy of a book called Nomad Gods by Greg Stafford, also published by Chaosium. It's the same size, and looks to be from the same era, but it came from a different source. Great interior artwork BTW.

Anyone know what I have here? Anyone know if there's a collectors market for these?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:26 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I have a near mint condition copy of Perilous Encounters by Stephen L. Lortz, and an equally minty copy of the free suppliment Dragon Pass Conventions for Perilous Encounters by Greg Stafford.

I don't know anything about these other than the latter was published by Chaosium and so I assume there is a tie in to Runequest maybe?

I also have a copy of a book called Nomad Gods by Greg Stafford, also published by Chaosium. It's the same size, and looks to be from the same era, but it came from a different source. Great interior artwork BTW.

Anyone know what I have here? Anyone know if there's a collectors market for these?

glorantha.info/runequest/chaosium/peril ... ilous.html

http://www.doves.demon.co.uk/dp/

Hope these help,

~jeff

Edit: also see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1720 for a reprinted(?) version.

Looks like they are wargames set in glorantha (the RQ setting).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 pm 

Hi Ian -

There's a collectors market for everything. Perilous Encounters was a set of fantasy wargaming rules, similar to Reaper or Wizards & Warfare. They're a pretty good set of rules, and they come up on ebay now and again - the usual price range they fetch is $5-10.

Nomad Gods was a game designed by Stafford, set in his Glorantha world. It was a sequel to White Bear Red Moon, and is pretty rare - or rather, they come up on ebay now and again and there is always a lot of interest. The last 3 copies on ebay (all within the last couple of months) all went for $100-150. If you just have a single book, I'd imagine you have the rulebook only.

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:05 am 

From what I can see, I have Perilous Encounters and the free suppliment Dragon Pass in Complete and in NM condition. Perilous Encounters still has the Reference cards attached to the centre staples.

Nomad Gods is in VF condition but it is the Rulebook only. I also have a White Bear & Red Moon book to go with it.

I think I'll put then on eBay and see how they go.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:31 pm 

Good plan - I have a 3rd ed copy of WBRM, but I found a copy of the 1st ed rulebook being sold on its own on ebay and was happy to bid on it to see the differences between the two - I think I paid about $20 for it.

Anything to do with Glorantha will always sell, so those two books should earn you some beer money at least.

I've been after a copy of Nomad Gods for some time now, but can't seem to get my hands on one. For those three copies I mentioned above, I was the under bidder on each one. If anyone has a copy and is thinking of selling, let me know.

Regards

Mike

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:38 am 

Thanks, Ian.

Off the back of your query I did a check for current prices and found a reseller with Nomad Gods for $175, a second print WB&RM for $225 and a "variant 'zine for WB&RM" for $12.50.

Not bad for a nice copy of Wyrm's Footnotes #2... :D

(Think I also picked up a 1972 Flying Buffalo "Starlord" for the same price, but it's sealed in its envelope so I can't be sure. Hrmm...).

=

btw. I'd rate Perilous Encounters a bit higher ($15-20), but the demand ain't great so a copy could easily slip through below that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:26 am 

Hi David -

Which reseller is currently offering Nomad Gods?

You might be right about Perilous Encounters... I paid $7 for mine but it doesn't have the attached cards that Ian mentions, so a complete set is probably worth $10-20.

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:56 am 

I'd put stuff on eBay, but Pickaweb (Tucows) are wiping their servers (again :evil: ) because of viruses. So. no pictures on my eBay items ATM.

Maybe its about time I used Acaeum webspace.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:23 pm 

Or Photobucket.