Newly Acquired 1st print Woody.
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:36 pm 

Hey All,
Looking for some comparisons to those of you who own 1st print Woodgrain Box Sets. I just received my newly won set in the mail on Monday(I was away on vacation all last week :) ), and I noticed some very distinct differences in all 3 booklets. :? Let me first say that I have confirmed already that all 3 booklets are in fact 1st printings. :) With that though let me list the a couple of obvious differences that I have noticed in the booklets. The first distinct difference that I noticed immediately is that the U&W booklet cover is clearly different that the other 2 booklets. It is of a much lighter tone and has a more of a rough texture to it. I know this has already been discussed previously so I am fully aware of at least 1 other 1st printing "variant" out there, but I also noticed a one other thing that I do not think that has been discussed yet. This difference is in the booklet sizes. My M&M booklet is discernably larger then both the U&W and M&T booklets. The heights of all 3 booklets are exactly the same, but the width of my M&M is about 1/8" longer than the other 2 booklets. Anyone wlse have a set whose booklets are like this?

Aside, John man you should see those dice that came with it.  They look like they have been used a ton.  Nice round corners,  hmmmm..... :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:48 pm 

Compared with early 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th prints, it shouldn't be just the M&M, Brian.
Hence my comment about not being replace those four missing pages in the M&T from elsewhere;
Interesting Items Formerly on eBay • Page 83 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

If you compare the U&WA with Re: OCE question , your copy should hopefully match the variant (= later) 1st print.
The ink colors used on the other two volumes should also vary slightly from the earlier 1st prints.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:00 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Compared with early 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th prints, it shouldn't be just the M&M, Brian.
Hence my comment about not being replace those four missing pages in the M&T from elsewhere;
Interesting Items Formerly on eBay • Page 83 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

If you compare the U&WA with Re: OCE question , your copy should hopefully match the variant (= later) 1st print.
The ink colors used on the other two volumes should also vary slightly from the earlier 1st prints.

Well last things first and first things last. :wink: I can happily report that my U&WA is a match for the variant 1st print picture you posted months ago. Also, on second and much closer inspection my M&T booklet is ever so slightly smaller that my U&WA of booklet. I am talking like less than 1/16" smaller in the width. :?  Does that match up similiarly with what you have David?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:35 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well last things first and first things last. :wink: I can happily report that my U&WA is a match for the variant 1st print picture you posted months ago.

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Paul decided not to verify this when I raised the query, before, although I've been told that he's had the nod from Gary Gygax on the issue.

bclarkie wrote:Also, on second and much closer inspection my M&T booklet [u]is[/] ever so slightly smaller that my U&WA of booklet. I am talking like less than 1/16" smaller in the width. :? Does that match up similiarly with what you have David?

Other way around, although my earlier 1st print M&T tallies with that.

Hrmm... D'you have precise measurements to the nearest millimetre or two? (Covers and/or internal page size).

For now, all I can say is that even allowing for guillotining differences, I'm still fairly sure there's a consistency to the extent that the Lake Geneva printings are both cut "larger" than any of the other printings.
=> not possible to insert the missing pages from elsewhere.
(And yes, that did impact my bidding, even though I was mostly bidding "for spares" and research, anyhow).

The differences between the volumes is certainly nowhere as noticeable in the other, non-Lake Geneva prints.
(current list = early 1st, late/"variant" 1st, 2nd, 3rd (+ later variant, probably identical otherwise), 4th (early variant is identical otherwise), 5thB, 6thA, 6thB, 6thC. Am missing Deimos's 5thA).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:06 am 

bclarkie wrote:Aside, John man you should see those dice that came with it. They look like they have been used a ton. Nice round corners, hmmmm..... :wink:

:mrgreen:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:14 pm 

Hi guys been a while, To much dang work :x

Anyway…I too have noticed these differences in the 1st print Woody. Also one thing no one seems to have mentioned to my knowledge is in the 1st print the wood grains on the box run horizontally, while in the second and third their vertical (like in the pic of the pre-pub). Anyone else noted this?

H-man quick on the draw on the OB3! It's definitely worth the money, nice one David.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:22 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Hi guys been a while, To much dang work :x

Ah, there you are!

Great to see you back, Invincible one :D

invincibleoverlord wrote:Anyway…I too have noticed these differences in the 1st print Woody. Also one thing no one seems to have mentioned to my knowledge is in the 1st print the wood grains on the box run horizontally, while in the second and third there vertical (like in the pic of the pre-pub). Anyone else noted this?

I queried that, last time. Although there may be a trend, it doesn't appear to be consistent during the box construction.

Was previously an observation I'd made in the context of whether or not it would be possible to just "borrow" a 2nd print box and lob in a set of 1st print books; the consensus opinion being in the affirmative.
(A few of those posts are here in the archives, IIRC; others were "off board").