1st edition PHB, not collectible but interesting?
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:27 pm 

For someone with very few items in his collection, I have too many PHBs. I never really looked at one in particular until now. I should warn you that the copy in question has an old friend's name writ large in pencil on the white flyleaf and contents page, as well as the original owner's frog cartoon adorning the back endpaper. Clearly, this is not a thinly disguised classified in the wrong forum.

The cover bears an angled TSR logo and the spellcasting wizard illustration. There is no cover sticker. On the rear cover is an ISBN code and another code beneath it but there is no price.

The contents page contains the lines:

Illustrations by David C. Sutherland III
D.A. Trampier
Cover by D.A. Trampier

Lower down the page are the lines:

Printed in U.S.A.
6th Printing, January, 1980

ISBN blah...

See no Easley? Well spotted. Anybody else got one of these? Are they common? Anyone care?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:05 pm 

I have six orange spines- 4 say cover by Jeff Easley, 2 say cover by D. A. Trampier.

The Easley ones also have boxes with TSR and TSR UK addresses.

Maybe one is the UK edition?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:27 am 

Your copy seems to conform to a 9th printing variant, the one with an ISBN. I don't think it's particularly rare, and all but the most pedantic won't care at all.

But I think you're on to something there. Clearly, there is something "in between" our current 9th and 10th printing descriptions, or the description(s) are flawed in some way, or both. I don't know if it's worth going through with a fine-toothed comb, though.

Your question prompted me to check, and I have a copy that conforms to the 9th, but with an ISBN (like yours), and with a sticker...which goes against the description listing.

Also, it seems like we have a bug in there where "Trampier" is misspelled "Sutherland"... :oops:

YIM  

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:09 am 

It was because of the discrepancy between those descriptions and my copy that I posted here. Thanks for the info, especially that bug. :wink: