Mattel D&D
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 21, 2
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:56 am 

Lets have a one minute silence for a dead topic...............................................
Bygones.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:01 am 

Actually...

afoolandhis$'s comment was juvenile and *possibly* bigoted (but that did not stop me finding it funny :lol: )

and GraysonAC was absolutely right to identify it as so.

And in a way, it could probably have ended there.  Spotting someone's remarks as juvenile is, as a simple matter of fact, not the same as accusing that person as being juvenile (i.e. even smart people say stupid things - it doesn't make them stupid).  And GraysonAC kept his remarks to the post not the person.  And to be honest, afoolandhis$'s comment was hardly the most inflammatory comment I have seen on this (or other) boards.

I like the informality of this forum and accept that sometimes people will say something with which I will disagree or which will make me cringe - as I am sure some of my posts (this one?) make other people cringe.  In exactly the same spirit of openness and free-speech, I think it is good that people will post if they feel that a statement offends their sensibilities ...  and of course everyone else here can pile in on top if they want.

But, at the end of the day - afoolandhis$'s comment wasn't that bad, and Grayson AC did not actually call him juvenile.  So, I would echo the earlier post about mountains and molehills (although I prefer the term 'storm in a tea cup' myself).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:07 am 

I'll just reiterate something I said earlier, as the point seems to be entirely lost on folks. I don't expect anyone here to be a raging bigot. My original comment was directed at the comment made, not the person making it.

What folks apparently -don't- realize is that even if you have absolutely no intention whatsoever of causing any ill will or hurt feelings (and I certainly don't think afoolandhis$ intended harm), you're fully capable of doing so. As I think has been shown by the response I received - especially from folks not willing to post to this thread because they don't want to get attacked for saying something out of step - offhand comments *do* bother people.

Much hullabaloo has been made on this thread about the board being an "open" and friendly place. I've certainly found this to be true. Personally, and it certainly seems like some folks agree with me, I think it's worth a little effort to avoid offending folks or hurting feelings, and making -everyone- that wants to participate in discussion here feel welcome.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:04 pm 

When I read the initial posting I missed the "eGay" remark. After reading Grayson's post, I went back to afoolandhis$'s message and my first reaction was why is Grayson getting so upset over what could very possibly be a typo. After all the G key is right above the B key.
    Reading the subsequent postings seems to indicate that this was indeed delibrate on the part of afoolandhis$. However it strikes me strange that Grayson assumes it was not a mistake and then claims his criticism is directed at the remark, and not the person making it. Odd.
                                                          Tom Wargo

Started playing D&D at Great Lakes in '76-'77. Went to Dungeon in Lake Geneva. Got to adventure in original Blackmoor. Saved some rare pieces from then, not in best shape: Palace of Vampire Queen, Beastmaker Mountain. Started collecting recently.

Previous
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 2 of 21, 2