Ravenloft box set original illustrations by Stephen Fabian
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:21 pm 

Hi all,

I'm curious what sort of demand there might be for original illustrations by Stephen Fabian for the first Ravenloft box set.

I was quite active in collecting Fabian originals over a decade ago and that included a number of striking pieces from his early TSR work. Interestingly at the time that I was buying them there was little to no demand for his "gaming" work.

The Ravenloft box set books do not do justice to the originals. They were all reproduced poorly and the dark printing of the book muddled all of the detail. (A good example is one of the illustrations were a young girl is being spied upon by a creature on the other side of the room.) If anyone is interested I can scan a couple of these for you to have a look at.

I have most of the artwork but not all of it. (A couple of the larger full page illustrations were not available.)

Many thanks,

Jim

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:45 pm 

Hi again Jim---

Sure, send some scans along to my email, if you'd be so kind.  Thanks :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:35 am 

Hey there Jim!

If you'd like to shoot a couple of scans my way as well, I'll be more than happy to let you know what I think re: values.

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:54 am 

Guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying. We've had a busy week since I posted. (Son's first birthday party and guests from out of town.) When I get home tonight I'll crack the vault and pull some things out to scan.

Are their any of the illustrations in particular that you would like to see? I don't own any of the full page pieces but I do own almost all of the others. The difference between the originals and how they ended up being published is pretty striking.

I'll start uploading around 10:00 EST and post here with links when I'm done.

Regards,

Jim

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:53 pm 

Feel free to post them here, too, if you like:  I'm sure others would like to check them out too :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:47 pm 

Ok! Brace yourself.

After fighting with the darn HP scanner here are 4 scans to give you an idea of what I'm talking about

They actually don't look as nice in the scans as they do in person. (Probably due to the scanner going into such deep depth.) By example the small white specs that appear in the scans are NOT on the illustrations.

Please don't abuse these scans. I would prefer that these not get passed willy nilly among the newsgroups.

I was surprised by how MUCH of this I have when I opened the vault. Even I had forgotten how many of these I have. *lol*

I know these are some big pictures but one of the points of discussion was the detail missing from where they were reproduced. Apologies all around for grevious picture posting.

Jim

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:33 pm 

Thanks for posting the scans!

Most of the Fabian TSR work that I've seen has gone for anywhere between $75 and about $200. There have been a few exceptions, like the Sea Witch piece from one of the hardback rule books (I forget which one) that sold for $500, but that was very unusual.

The Fabian Ravenloft pieces are nice b&w renderings, but not up to quality of Steve's earlier work in the 70s and very early 80s, which is part of the reason they don't command as much interest.

I would think, though, that if you eBay'd these with starting bids of $75 to $99.99, you'd have no problem making a decent amount of sales with some decent bids.

Hope that helped!

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."