3rd Edition Conversion manual
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:22 pm 

Hey guys,  I notice these will occasionally snag $30 in auction. Sometimes they only get $10. Is there something about these I am missing or are these subject to fluke bid wars?  Thanks. Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:19 pm 

Hey Adam, I have noticed that as well. I'm sure the sales of ones that reached 20+ were legit and went through. However I have no idea why it somestimes goes for so high. Perhaps some new ebayer couldn't find one at stores, etc and so he/she goes on ebay and will pay a good amount for it since they have been looking for one so long. I mean before burnie came along prices on some items were low and BAM then burnie started bidding on everything for higher than usual :-) Probably demand.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:02 am 

Damn, I should have grabbed a whole box of these things when Barnes and Noble was throwing them in the dumpster.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:20 am 

You can always ask retail stores Len! Many stores might have lots of them in the back of the store, etc. You can always buy them from other collectors. I think adam has a bunch of those conversion manuals. He scalped them from the stores and sold some to young gamers for a price :-D HAHAHAH

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:37 am 

Mike, maybe I am too biased, but I have absolutely no interest (none) in 3E.  I picked up the PHB, DMG, and MM for collecting sake but never cracked the bindings (to be totally honest, I leafed through the PHB).  At the time, I did nab a copy of the conversion manual but then WOTC produced one in PDF format.  So I think their collectability went down the toilet then.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:45 am 

I am starting to like D20. Some of the material is really helpful. Like the new arms and equipment hardover book. It is chockfull of good stuff.  D20 should really help out players and perhaps bring more new players as you are not constrained to one companies products but many many d20 companies who want a piece of the market.  Don't let Adrian hear you dislike 3E. He is big collector :-)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:04 am 

B&N was throwing them in the dumpster. Is that regular practice, cause I know some really good dumpster scouts. . .  I play 3Ed once a week. It has more detail than 2nd ed, but is simpler that AD&D1st. No more pages and pages of charts. Most of the charts were converted into simple rules that are universal.  I also occassionally play Shadowrun.  What I don't like about modern D&D is that it was bought out by Wizards of the Coast who was bought out by Hasbro. So D&D is just another game in the Hasbro product line.  I heard Weis & Hickman bought back the rights to Dragonlance.