I2 going for lots of money
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:19 am 

Am I missing something or are these guys crazy? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=2545

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:36 am 

Since I've never seen I2 go for anywhere near this, I'd say they were crazy. Or somebody got caught up with a major case of bidding fever.  I'm sure the seller will be laughing all the way to the bank....

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:12 pm 

While I must say the buyers are nuts (I replaced my old copy last October for $10)  I2 is becoming one of the most talked about modules among people who still play AD&D.  While I no longer play (I only collect  :wink: ) I still chat with alot of people who do.  Yeah, I2 is now becoming something of a classic - one of THE classic non-Gygax modules...so who knows, maybe this is a sign of that growing popularity?

There is no edition but first.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:15 pm 

Here are plenty of them that couldn't even sell for over $10...  Welcome to eBay R7&ebaytag1=ebayreg&ht=1&combine=y&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort  I would doubt it is that heavily desired. That auction is probably a blip on the radar by a couple of guys who don't know how to do a simple search. Or it is the seller himself playing around with one or more other user names of his own.  Later. Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:21 pm 

I expected to see an auction of I2 going for like 30+ but only saw 18. Yes it is high but if it was a shrink version I could see it going for 18. This isn't high people, there are some stuff I've seen like B2 going for $30 back then, deities for 140, planes of conflict for 200, etc. Now I consider those very high and insane.  I wonder perhaps maybe its the seller with a different id doing some of the bidding? 22 bids is quite unusual for this item....but then of course it could be a few ebayers who are new to all this stuff and think that it is super rare. I kid you not, there are still many people who think, OMG you have pastels or 1st ed modules! Those are super rare!! Of course they are the ones who haven't looked on ebay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:23 pm 

Something odd is going on with this one... Check out the bid history.  4 bidders (as of right now) 2 of them going back and forth with 0 feedback and 2 feedback.  I think there's some SHILLING going on to drive up the price of the one guy who has bid.. although brianfenris is also a 0 feedback drone....   Anytime I see that I stay away because it's just bad mojo to bid on something that's both a) apparently whacky price wise and b) has a bunch of 0-2 feedbackers on it... the item probably doesn't exist.... either THAT or the guy DOES have a copy he wants to sell and wants the 'proof' of value that 'hey it's going for this much on Ebay' and will use that auction as a way of 'justifying' a high price for an in person sale.  In any case I2, while COOL is only worth 6-8 bucks in good condition on the HIGH side.  I've got a few copies myself.(and my collection SUCKS).  If Minty in Shrink, yeah, then you got an argument but I hate Shrink stuff since I like to actually, you know, read and enjoy these things....   -Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:30 pm 

Jon wrote:
...I hate Shrink stuff...
 Oh, my ears (or eyes for that matter).  Such Blasphemy!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:44 pm 

SHRINKWRAPPED STUFF SUX :-D HAHA Len. Did you fall over yet of a heart attack? :-D  Jon, the auction does look funny especially when you see two people with 0 feedback, etc going at it. One might think shill bidding. It of course could be two newbies.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:28 am 

I believe that if the global ecocnomy ever recovers, we will be seeing a quick rise in the value of these products.   In the antiquarian bookdealers trade, we are already witnessing a significant increase in the value of collectible science fiction, fantasy and horror books. Whats noticable about this is that a lot of the true firsts are paperbacks, paperback anthologies and pulp magazines. Many of these books wer not reprinted in HC until decades later. Some were never reprinted. Some were only reprinted in Sci-Fi/Fantasy clubs. With the exception of Arkham House fine hardbacks, these books are scoffed at by the "traditionalists". I am sure you have know what I mean if you have ever asked for role-playing material in an antiquarian store.   In twenty years, these products will skyrocket in value.  However, right now its a buyers market and bookdealers are suffering accordingly.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:08 am 

Leif wrote:
..In twenty years, these products will skyrocket in value...
 Twenty years?  How many of us will still be doing this stuff in 2023?  I'll probably be kicking back in early retirement getting paid 1K/month from Uncle Sam and surfing the web...or whatever online will be called then.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:10 am 

Once the second edition generation of players hop into the collecting market and those in retirement (or thought they would be in retirement) could use a little extra cash.  I'd say the collectibility would mature in 10-20 years.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:08 pm 

Leif Brecke wrote:I am sure you have know what I mean if you have ever asked for role-playing material in an antiquarian store.
 I know this feeling all too well. The look I get when I ask if they have any RPG...  What's funny is I know there are many D&D books that are worth far more than most of the bookstore's crap-ass books. :lol:   I feel far more comfortable in a flea market type bookshop.  Leif- There is a whole topic string about the future of collecting In the General Collecting category Crystal Balls authored by RedBus.  Later. Adam Shultz

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:52 pm 

[quote="Adam Shultz]I feel far more comfortable in a flea market type bookshop.[/quote]  Here, here!  There is a good one of those nearby where I found a really nice 6th printing PHB for $7.00 and a near-perfect 3rd ed Forgotten Realms HC for $20.00 - I like to stop in every month or so...  Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:06 am 

Just bought a I2 in shrink for $10.00. :D A real deal considering someone payed $18.50 for a non-shrink copy.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:18 am 

burntwire wrote:Just bought a I2 in shrink for $10.00. :D A real deal considering someone payed $18.50 for a non-shrink copy.
 Well, I ordered one from an Amazon e-seller for six bucks + about three for shipping - non-shrink and haven't received yet, but supposedly in NM condition...  ***EDIT***  Received item today - it was in NM condition!  Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."