Should it stay or should it go now?!?!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:30 pm 

I have a copy of Starstone by Northern Sages in its original plastic. It looks like a coal miner had this copy in a mineshaft the last 20+ years of its existence. The contents appear minty. Would you rip that original packaging off or do you think this would diminish the value??? I am thinking the dirty ass plastic on it might actually be hurting the value...   Thanks.  Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:35 pm 

Nooooooooooo! Don't rip the plastic off. Don't be like Adrian :-D Keep the plastic on. If your having seconds thoughts, let me have Starstone. It my precioussss :-)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:45 pm 

At the risk of making Mike Kuo's head explode, I say:  OPEN IT, OPEN IT, OPEN IT!!!  (Let's all take a moment to enjoy the image of Mike laying on the floor, curled up the fetal position, weeping at the thought of it... annnd we're back.)  Seriously though, what's wrong with the plastic?  Dirty?  Yellowed?  Brittle?  Still sealed all the way around?  I would think that the crazy SW crowd (oh, you know who you are!) would rather have crappy SW than no SW.  If, however, the plastic has degraded to the point that you think it might actually harm the contents, or if is just that totally ass-ugly, then rip it open!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:07 pm 

The SW on it is complete but reeks of coal miner ass!  It is hard to really enjoy the minty contents it is so dark.   :D  Adam

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:23 pm 

Adrian, I need to give you a few more lectures on not opening things up especially rare things!  You kill me when you open things up like those Japanese items......even god is angry at you for that  :lol:  8)   Adam, how do you know what a coal miners ass smells like :-D  If I must say it again, PLZ GIVE STARSTONE TO MEEEEEEEEEE

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:51 am 

Hey Mike,  I might wind up sending you the plastic after I remove it if you want it so bad. Then you will know what miner ass smells like.... :twisted:   Everyone else,  Seriously though, what would others do? Original plastic is a major plus but it sure is dirty. I have often wondered if torn/damaged plastic is worthy or not.  Thanks. Adam

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:20 pm 

Open it if you want to read a really good module.  BTW How much is a SW Starstone worth?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm 

Tough call on the value of it. I have never noticed one on ebay, although I have not looked especially hard. Seems to me like one could go for $5 if no one else sees it or much higher ($50 or more) if guys like Burntwire spot it out :D   Later. Adam

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:00 pm 

I'll give you $5 for your Starstone Adam. Thats about how much you paid for yours isn't it? Now now I am sure burnie might offer you more for it but you can always help another non tsr collector :-D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:12 pm 

It was free!!!!! :D  :D  :D   :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:31 pm 

Well Adam, since you got it for free, you could make yourself a tidy profit of $5 by selling it to me :-D HAHAHAH  If you ever want to trade it, remember I got first dibs :-D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:41 am 

Just my two cents on shrinkwrap -  first: shrinks can be replaced. second: it will become brittle and fall apart eventually under normal storage conditions, maybe taking ten years, maybe thirty, maybe more. But it will. So what's the point? Books are for reading, not for investing :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:26 pm 

Just my two cents on shrinkwrap -  first: shrinks can be replaced. second: it will become brittle and fall apart eventually under normal storage conditions, maybe taking ten years, maybe thirty, maybe more. But it will. So what's the point? Books are for reading, not for investing
  ...THUD... Sorry, I just fainted after reading that statement.  Tell that to the guy who bought a 10th Aniversay edition set and still has it in shrink.  Hangover, you can't honestly believe that...Can you?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:01 am 

My two coppers on SW echo Matthias:  There is little way to know whether someone has taken an old item and "re-shrinked" it in order to increase its value.  This possibly happened to me when I bought an I2 a long, long time ago from Zocchi.  It came in the shrink, but when I opened it up to read it I found some pencil marks inside.  Please note that I am not accusing Zocchi of "re-shrinking" as I suspect someone may have sold them a bunch of "re-shrunk" items in order to get a better re-sell price.    IOW, by keeping your items in the shrinkwrap, you have no way of knowing whether the item is truly mint or not.  Furthermore the shrinkwrap can actually degrade over time, and damage your presumably mint product by warping it.  The best thing to do with your items is to take them out of the shrink immediately, bag and board them in a "ziplock" bag, and finally seal them inside in a waterproof container.    I would never pay more for a shrinkwrapped item, and would in fact pay less because the seller cannot truly confirm that the item is in fact the mint condition he/she states/believes it is.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:27 am 

I have to say I am on the edge of the coin onthis one. I would love ot own a couple of my old favorites in ( ORIGINAL SHRINK ) that is also in Mint condition.  Yet  I also Hate shrink wrap as I like ot be able to look through an item and make sure it is in top condition. So with that being more important to me than the shrink wrap, I say TEAR EM ALL OPEN!!!  Nothing better than seeing something for the first time and going WOW it is MINT!!  sure beats the middle of the night wake up when you lie in bed wondering, " Is it really  original is there something wrong inside it? Maybe a real flaw from the printer like a Blurred unreadabel page  wow would that be worth something!!"

Bruce Thibodeau

(NorthernDuckHunter)

Outdoor Photographer/Writer

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:29 am 

All I can say is as the buyer you have the final say. Leave it on if you want or simply just remove it to see what you actually have. As others have stated anyone can shrink old mint copies and state that it is original shrink. However as a buyer of shrink items I have to assume that the seller is not being dishonest. If anyone does buy shrink items and then opens them to find that the item has been played let us all know so we won't buy off this individual. I do not open shrink wrapped items and do not loose any sleep thinking they may be fakes :D . What does kill me is that some people state the item is in original shrink, but when you get it the items shrink is destroyed and about to fall off(I wish they would just take it off and sell it as a mint or nm copy).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:40 pm 

Another angle to consider is rash of B3 oranges in SW being sold/traded. They clearly fetch substantially more money than the ones out of shrink.   If you take that plastic off of it then you just ripped away some $300+/-.  Later. Adam

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:14 am 

NDH wrote:sure beats the middle of the night wake up when you lie in bed wondering, " Is it really  original is there something wrong inside it? Maybe a real flaw from the printer like a Blurred unreadabel page  wow would that be worth something!!"

Bruce,

Not sure if you were kidding about that or not.  I have a S1 that has a couple of very lightly inked pages (ink running out) and a page that is just mostly a black ink smudge.

People don't really collect that kind of stuff do they?

If people did collect those flawed products, half the stuff FASA printed, and KenzerCo HM products would be considered quite valuable then.

-Byron

Next