Value of Introduction to AD&D Boxed Set?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:40 pm 

Hello. I was directed here from rpg.net.

A friend of mine is in possession of TSR's boxed "Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" game set. It is entirely complete (different dice though), including the audio CD, manuals, maps, figures, even the business reply registration card - everything. It has been opened but not actually read or played, and the box has some slight wear from being stored with other games and books.

I checked eBay for this and there were only a few and they were all priced around $5.00 but had no bids and never sold.

This set cost $30.00 retail new - even though its opened, surely a complete set like this from over 10 years ago is worth more than five bucks?

Any information or reply would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:09 pm 

jpneok wrote:Hello. I was directed here from rpg.net.

A friend of mine is in possession of TSR's boxed "Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" game set. It is entirely complete (different dice though), including the audio CD, manuals, maps, figures, even the business reply registration card - everything. It has been opened but not actually read or played, and the box has some slight wear from being stored with other games and books.

I checked eBay for this and there were only a few and they were all priced around $5.00 but had no bids and never sold.

This set cost $30.00 retail new - even though its opened, surely a complete set like this from over 10 years ago is worth more than five bucks?

Any information or reply would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

First of all, eBay is fickle.  One week there might be a bunch going for $5, the next day one "hits" for no good reason and sells for $75 or more.  

This particular item doesn't have any significant "draw" to make bidders go rabid over it -- not rare, not old, no key role in the development of the game.  The condition sounds great, but I wouldn't expect it to go for more than $15 (half cover price) without significant "draw".  Just my $0.02  :wink:

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:24 pm 

One of the problems with this item is that it is "Introduction". Essentially, it is a streamlined version of the game and is of little interest to most. (other than to complete collections of those who want everything).

You have to figure that all current collectors have been playing for a long time and are very experienced.  Those rules were designed to entice "new" blood to the D&D game.  It has no sentiment to collectors, it's not enjoyable to read (in fact they may actively dislike it) and some may view it as "insulting" to the game.

Still, if you list it enough times with a 9.99 opening bid (and a $15.00 Buy it now) , you should sell it eventually.

:wink:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:34 pm 

I'll second Paul's opinion concerning value. It might be worth noting, that there are two different version of this set: one in landscape format (1135) and one in regular box format (1134). I didn't know until Paul auctioned off an 1134 set. There should be no difference in value, however.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:40 pm 

Wow, thanks so much for the very quick advice, I will tell my friend and see what he wants to do.

I wish I had known about this place earlier, I already sold some other books. I hate to ask this but I feel like I should - I sold the 80's Dungeons & Dragons Basic (the Redbox), Advanced and Companion boxed sets on eBay for a very low price (I'd rather not say, more so I don't kick myself than so I don't get yelled at) - they were most definitely "used" and I had laminated the covers and such so I figure that dropped any possible value by a lot, but still I felt like they should have been worth something more than I got. Oh well.

I now have a bunch of older AD&D modules, the 3rd Edition AD&D (from the late 80s and 90s I think?) Players Handbook, 3E DMG, Deities & Demigods and Monstrous Compendium - I also laminated most of the hardback covers of those (spillproofing seemed like a good idea at the time...) and they were also definitely "used" - they're not in bad shape, but have standard wear to "jag" most of the page edges, etc. Any ideas of value?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:12 pm 

I got both mine for $5.00 on Ebay.  One in a large box and one in a bookshelf type box.  Contents are the sames.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!