A STRANGE ITEM FROM TSR OF OLD
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:04 am 

I have recently acquired from Noble Knight Games (hi Aaron!) a strange TSR item: it's a big envelope containing a Dungeon Hobby Shop catalog (there is no date, but considering the AD&D books it mentions I suppose it was printed in 1980), a promo flyer for Dragon and Little Wars magazines, two catalogs (one blue wth the Lizard logo and one red with the Wizard logo, I suppose they refer to 1978 and 1979 considering the Blue one announces the 'upcoming' DMG for 1978 and the Red one for 1979  :D ), a blank order form and a little promo poster named "The D&D Game Paladin" with a copyright date of 1982. Oh, almost forgot: there s the envelope itself - it's big, prinmted on brown paper and it has printed the info for reaching the Dungeon Hobby Shop.   Does anybody else has such a item? Is this complete? What it could be worth?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:01 am 

Can you scan us a picture please? It might be easier to see what you are talking about if there is a picture for us to look at. Thx

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:49 am 

[quote="Mkman"]Can you scan us a picture please? It might be easier to see what you are talking about if there is a picture for us to look at. Thx[/quote]  How can I post images on the Forum?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:45 am 

Hi Sotter, if you have a place to host the picture like webshots, geocities, etc. All you havbe to do is then use these tags: [img]YOUR%20PICTURE%20LINK[/img]  That should let us see the pictures or you could send us the link were you have the picture hosted at.[/url]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:13 pm 

Hi Sotter, if you have a place to host the picture like webshots, geocities, etc. All you havbe to do is then use these tags: [ [url=YOUR PICTURE LINK]Image[/url] ]   That should let us see the pictures or you could send us the link were you have the picture hosted at.[/url]  
 Man, I have to get more 'net' savy for crap like this.  It would probably make my life a whole lot easier.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:34 am 

Actually Len, its not that bad. On the very top of the forums is a faq page. I looked on that and it tells you how to host pictures, etc. Not very hard. Just play around and you'll get it right.  I hope Sotter can post a picture for us to see of the item he bought.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:53 am 

[quote="Mkman"]Actually Len, its not that bad. On the very top of the forums is a faq page. I looked on that and it tells you how to host pictures, etc. Not very hard. Just play around and you'll get it right.  I hope Sotter can post a picture for us to see of the item he bought.[/quote]  I opened my very own web page on Xoom.it and donwloaded Total Commander for managing images. Pleaase consider that I am a newbie and I got my very first ever scanner a couple of weeks ago...   The image is at: 404 Not Found  and click on 'Busta TSR copertina'

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:33 am 

Sotterraneo wrote:I have recently acquired from Noble Knight Games (hi Aaron!) a strange TSR item: it's a big envelope containing a Dungeon Hobby Shop catalog (there is no date, but considering the AD&D books it mentions I suppose it was printed in 1980), a promo flyer for Dragon and Little Wars magazines, two catalogs (one blue wth the Lizard logo and one red with the Wizard logo, I suppose they refer to 1978 and 1979 considering the Blue one announces the 'upcoming' DMG for 1978 and the Red one for 1979  :D ), a blank order form and a little promo poster named "The D&D Game Paladin" with a copyright date of 1982. Oh, almost forgot: there s the envelope itself - it's big, prinmted on brown paper and it has printed the info for reaching the Dungeon Hobby Shop.   Does anybody else has such a item? Is this complete? What it could be worth?
 Hi Ciro,  Neat items. I have noticed only a couple of each of those catalogs over the past few years and I regularly search for catalogs. I have never seen them as a mailed set like you describe. As far as value goes they are only worth what 2 guys are really to pay for the set..$30+ I would guess. I would imagine you probably paid decently already if you bought them off an online game seller.   I think the promo flyer might be more interesting. Sometimes they are quite intensive with game info and occasionally include a mini adventure. Some are just single page advertisement.... We have been talking about those types of things with Len's Fantasy World's. Can you post a picture of the flyers?  :)   Adam

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:36 am 

Very cool envelope indeed!  Sotter, you should think about using webshots for hosting pictures. They are free and you can make albums for your pictures. Very good site.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:24 pm 

Hi Ciro,  Neat items. I have noticed only a couple of each of those catalogs over the past few years and I regularly search for catalogs. I have never seen them as a mailed set like you describe. As far as value goes they are only worth what 2 guys are really to pay for the set..$30+ I would guess. I would imagine you probably paid decently already if you bought them off an online game seller.   I think the promo flyer might be more interesting. Sometimes they are quite intensive with game info and occasionally include a mini adventure. Some are just single page advertisement.... We have been talking about those types of things with Len's Fantasy World's. Can you post a picture of the flyers?  :)[/quote]  I have posted on the Xoom.it page some more images, waiting for an 'official' catalog page on Acaeum  :D .   The images posted tonight are:  Catalogo TSR 1978 (self explaining, despite being in Italian  :D ) Catalogo TSR 1979 (idem) Busta TSR catalogo Dungeon Hobby Shop (The Dungeon Hobby Shop catalog - anybody has any ideas about the year? Judging by contents; I'd guess 1981) Busta TSR modulo d'ordine (the order form, it seems older than the Catalog itself).  I'll post the back of the envelope and the promo flyer for Dragon and Little Wars next week.  You could guess why I'm using Italian names for the files instead of English ones... Well, let's say it's my oatriotic duty spreading the knowledge of Italian language anytime it's possible  8O   Just kidding  :D  I started that way and I keep doing it that way.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:26 pm 

The Dungeon Hobby Shop catalog was around 83 or 84.  I used to look over that catalog alot.  So much so that I think I had to tape together. I don't know what ever happened to my copy.  If anyone has that catalog, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.  Ã

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:57 pm 

As far as the Dungeon Hobby Shop catalogue the 2 I have both look like the posted image and are dated 1982 (on bottom of page near back of book). I'm not sure what they should be worth but I just snagged one for $2.25 on ebay.  -burntwire

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:01 pm 

[quote="burntwire"]As far as the Dungeon Hobby Shop catalogue the 2 I have both look like the posted image and are dated 1982 (on bottom of page near back of book). I'm not sure what they should be worth but I just snagged one for $2.25 on ebay.  -burntwire[/quote]  Thanks. I have emended the file's name on my computer.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:04 pm 

[quote="burntwire"]As far as the Dungeon Hobby Shop catalogue the 2 I have both look like the posted image and are dated 1982 (on bottom of page near back of book). I'm not sure what they should be worth but I just snagged one for $2.25 on ebay. [/quote]  I have put all the images of the contents of the TSR envelope at the 'site' I did. A note: I checked the Dungeon Catalog and it has no date at the bottom of its pages. So, it could be a older version or a newer one. Considering the 'age' of the other contents, I'd go for the older edition.