Fanzine Question: The Oracle
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:40 pm 

Greetings, everyone!

In my collection for many years have been two issues of a "magazine of fantasy gaming" (more like a fanzine) called THE ORACLE.  I have issue #1 July 1982 and #2 September 1982.  It was published by Horizon International, Inc., based in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I honestly don't remember where I picked it up (it says it was available "at finer gaming stores"), but wondered if anyone else has come across this 'zine before, and what (if anything) it might be worth?

Thanks in advance for your time,
John aka Wandering Monster

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:55 am 

as far as I know 5 issues produced, bit hard to do prices on these things, depends on if you want to get rid of it or knot and who does have a copy and wants one;)

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:09 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:as far as I know 5 issues produced, bit hard to do prices on these things, depends on if you want to get rid of it or knot and who does have a copy and wants one;)

Brette:)

Hi Brette!

Thanks for the info on THE ORACLE -- it's more than I knew before!

Best,
John aka Wandering Monster

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:02 am 

Apologies in advance for thread necromancy, but I too have issues 1 and 2 in my collection and can find basically nothing about them on the Internet save for a reference about Horizon International being the publisher over at BGG.com.

Anybody in the intervening years since this thread was posted learn or discover anything new about this fanzine or the company that published it?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:34 pm 

What do you want to know?  I think 5 issues is still right.  For a small press fanzine, issues #1 and 2 of this don't seem terribly hard to find.  I think there have been at least 2 copies of each in the last few months.  Generally sell for about $10.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:06 pm 

Mars wrote:What do you want to know?  I think 5 issues is still right.  For a small press fanzine, issues #1 and 2 of this don't seem terribly hard to find.  I think there have been at least 2 copies of each in the last few months.  Generally sell for about $10.

Nothing specific, I'm just curious about what happened to this fanzine.  My father liked it enough to buy the first two, and I recently ran across a notebook of his where he had been writing ideas for submissions prior to his death.  Because of that, I've been on the lookout for any bit of info at all on it for decades, but aside from the occasional mention on a forum somewhere, I've not found anything. :(

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 pm 

Sorry to reanimate an old thread, but I wanted to let you all know that this fanzine is itself being brought back to a sort of life through a compilation reprint being put out by plagmada.org.  

I'll add a little bit of more info here:  There were five issues spanning 1982-83, with a sister magazine called Augury coming out for a single issue in 1983.  The fanzine was put out almost single-handedly by a high schooler named Christopher Bigelow.  Ken St. Andre contributed an article, I believe he's the biggest name to participate.

The Kickstarter is here:  The Complete "The Oracle"AD&D fanzine reprint, 1982-1983 by tim hutchings — Kickstarter
A free PDF of issue number one is here:  http://timothyhutchings.com/PLAGMADA/Th ... Issue1.pdf

Also, MichaelC please check your PM box!  I want to talk to you about that notebook!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:30 pm 

Out of curiosity, how did you overcome the copyright issue of getting permission from each individual article author or artist used in all of the issues to agree to an electronic format?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:50 pm 

Mars wrote in Fanzine Question: The Oracle:Out of curiosity, how did you overcome the copyright issue of getting permission from each individual article author or artist used in all of the issues to agree to an electronic format?

Maybe he's taking a chance nobody cares? Mostly written by him and friends, right?  I guess unless someone raises  a fuss, probably not a chance for a 30+ year old fanzine...perhaps its a gamble on his part.

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:23 pm 

Badmike wrote in Fanzine Question: The Oracle:Maybe he's taking a chance nobody cares? Mostly written by him and friends, right?  I guess unless someone raises  a fuss, probably not a chance for a 30+ year old fanzine...perhaps its a gamble on his part.

That is what I expect but just wanted to verify.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:21 pm 

Mars wrote in Fanzine Question: The Oracle:
Badmike wrote in Fanzine Question: The Oracle:Maybe he's taking a chance nobody cares? Mostly written by him and friends, right?  I guess unless someone raises  a fuss, probably not a chance for a 30+ year old fanzine...perhaps its a gamble on his part.

That is what I expect but just wanted to verify.

I just read the free download of the first issue, I doubt too many of the contributors will be clamoring for their submission back  :lol:   But I would be curious if he just decided not to worry about it, or if he's still in touch with a lot of those guys and got their premission.

MIke B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com