Mystery Miniatures
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:14 pm 
 

Does anyone have an idea who made these minis?  They are apparently pewter (not lead), and were made in the late 70's/early 80s.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... eName=WDVW

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3593
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 18, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:05 am 
 

Pretty bad photo, what do the stamps look like on the bottom?


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:05 am 
 

Blackmoor wrote:Pretty bad photo, what do the stamps look like on the bottom?


I agree it's a crappy photo, best I could do though.  No stamps on the bottom at all, nothing, all the bases have been rubbed smooth with no identifying marks or symbols.  They are made of pewter not lead, and I seem to remember some of the figures from the old Dragon mag miniature review section, but I don't hve time to go through all the old issues to find out.   I want to say early Ral Partha or Superior? Interestingly, the potbellied cleric with the mace is the exact same mold as a later Grenadier figure, except this one is slightly cruder...all the figures are very crude and have no defined features, definitely early fantasy minis.

Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 482
Joined: May 12, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2020

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:22 pm 
 

The two "wizard with pointy hat" figures certainly look like a Superior fig to me. I think it was even the Merlin fig from their Arthurian line... I can remember the line up at a Gen Con with Arthur and Lancelot and Merlin and so forth. Yes, though it is dredged up from long-sunken memories, I'm 95% cure that is the Superior Merlin fig.

Same goes for the unicorns, though they have different bases, I think they are Superior, though the one on the left might be a Ral Partha.

The golems look like Grenadier work.

The portly monk is almost certainly from one of the Grenadier boxed sets, the Adventurers set, I think. It sure looks like that fig.

The Paladin types with swords actually look like Ral Partha angels without wings, though that might just be the quality of the pic. Check their backs to see if there is a location to glue on the wings...

I'm at a loss on the others...

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm 
 

jamesmishler wrote:The two "wizard with pointy hat" figures certainly look like a Superior fig to me. I think it was even the Merlin fig from their Arthurian line... I can remember the line up at a Gen Con with Arthur and Lancelot and Merlin and so forth. Yes, though it is dredged up from long-sunken memories, I'm 95% cure that is the Superior Merlin fig.

Same goes for the unicorns, though they have different bases, I think they are Superior, though the one on the left might be a Ral Partha.

The golems look like Grenadier work.

The portly monk is almost certainly from one of the Grenadier boxed sets, the Adventurers set, I think. It sure looks like that fig.

The Paladin types with swords actually look like Ral Partha angels without wings, though that might just be the quality of the pic. Check their backs to see if there is a location to glue on the wings...

I'm at a loss on the others...


Thanks for the info! I thought many of them had the "Superior" look. Guess I'll just have to go through the Dragon archive one night and spend some time looking at photos.  Oddly enough the portly cleric/monk isn't the Grenadier one, although the mold is the same...this is made of pewter, and the Grenadier ones were lead.  The paladins with swords might be Ral Partha angels at that....thanks for the help.

Mike B.

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 45
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 13, 2018

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:13 pm 
 

I am pretty sure the Unicorn IS Ral Partha (cuz I have one).

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:58 pm 
 

The two barbarians on the middle left are Ral Partha. The potbellied cleric is a Grenadier - I have them all.

Hope this helps.


"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:18 pm 
 

rosenkav wrote:The two barbarians on the middle left are Ral Partha. The potbellied cleric is a Grenadier - I have them all.

Hope this helps.


Thanks!  I have the Grenadier version of the cleric from one of the gold box sets, but I didnt' know the barbarians.

Mike B.

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1