Another Home Brew Module
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 193
Joined: Nov 05, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 18, 2012
Location: Charleston, SC

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:31 pm 
 

Here come the home brews.  Due to the success of the Ruby Dragon auction they start coming out of the woodwork:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6346
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 25, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:54 pm 
 

How many more will you produce if this one sells?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 2104
Joined: Oct 19, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 25, 2021
Location: Honolulu, HI

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:56 pm 
 

It'd be nice if at least the TITLE of the module was grammatically correct.

Foul

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3797
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2021

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:50 pm 
 

I can't wait for Part 2!

  

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 2104
Joined: Oct 19, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 25, 2021
Location: Honolulu, HI

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:58 pm 
 

I think you mean "Part's 2".

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3797
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2021

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:01 pm 
 

Actually, I think it's "Part's Too".

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 210
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 25, 2018
Location: Northeast

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:05 pm 
 

"Part's Tew"

I actually have a few of these home brewed mods I made and spent countless hours on, down to the replica cover "look & feel"....I should make copies of these for kicks and put them up!!   :twisted:

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3797
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 15, 2021

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:31 pm 
 

Wait, "Part Stew", no, "Fart Stew", yeah that's it.  I can just see the cover art...

Hey, by the way, thanks for the nice feedback!  You're a kind soul!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:12 pm 
 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Wait, "Part Stew", no, "Fart Stew", yeah that's it. I can just see the cover art...

Hey, by the way, thanks for the nice feedback! You're a kind soul!


The guy lives a few miles away from me...I should try and contact him and see what kind of homemade gems he has tucked away...!  A fortune in mispelled titled items awaits me!

Mike B.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:28 am 
 

FoulFoot wrote:It'd be nice if at least the TITLE of the module was grammatically correct.
Foul

A useful indicator of a new home brew, that!

(Personally I blame the good ol' U.S. for inflicting pluralising apostrophe's (sic) upon the rest of the English speaking world. ;)
Recently I even observed a sign indicating "potatoe's" for sale... Dan Quayle would've been so proud! :lol:)

But I digress...


=
I have nothing against "home brews" as such.
All those UK fanzines which are regularly fought over are "home brews", too. And some of those editors/teams produced scenarios as well.

More important from my p.o.v. are quality/flavor of content (not necessarily presentation, although there are limits to that perhaps *g*), date (doesn't have to be circa 1972 (*jk*), but preferably not too recent) and known authors/connections to other productions (good ones, if possible!).

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 25, 2021

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:04 pm 
 

harami2000 wrote:I have nothing against "home brews" as such.
All those UK fanzines which are regularly fought over are "home brews", too. And some of those editors/teams produced scenarios as well.

More important from my p.o.v. are quality/flavor of content (not necessarily presentation, although there are limits to that perhaps *g*), date (doesn't have to be circa 1972 (*jk*), but preferably not too recent) and known authors/connections to other productions (good ones, if possible!).


Those are really good points.  Many of us spend a lot of money on what are essentially "home-brew" materials: Wilmark Dynasty was basically a vanity press, and so were UK fanzines, many of which have some really fun and interesting reading material.  
It all comes down to the quality of the material that the author is peddling. I'd bet that Badmike's Guide to Undermountain would not only sell well, but be better quality that the "empty" box set with nice maps that TSR put out "corporate-brew" style.  If Badmike had published his materials vanity press-style 25 years ago then it would probably be highly sought-after materials on eBay today.  Just because he didn't doesn't mean they would not be a good read and fun to play.  They're not making anymore 1st, or even 2nd, Edition AD&D modules anymore so some of these "home-brew" items are all we'll ever have left.  Granted some of the "home-brew" stuff may be awful, but then so were some of the "corporate-brew" TSR items... Gargoyle anyone?   :wink:

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 193
Joined: Nov 05, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 18, 2012
Location: Charleston, SC

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:40 pm 
 

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Home Brew, I was the 2nd highest bidder on Ruby Dragon and have already bought a copy of Adventurer's Wanted.  I would just prefer to purchase something old rather than something that is printed upon demand.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:53 pm 
 

dathon wrote:
harami2000 wrote:I have nothing against "home brews" as such.
All those UK fanzines which are regularly fought over are "home brews", too. And some of those editors/teams produced scenarios as well.

More important from my p.o.v. are quality/flavor of content (not necessarily presentation, although there are limits to that perhaps *g*), date (doesn't have to be circa 1972 (*jk*), but preferably not too recent) and known authors/connections to other productions (good ones, if possible!).


Those are really good points. Many of us spend a lot of money on what are essentially "home-brew" materials: Wilmark Dynasty was basically a vanity press, and so were UK fanzines, many of which have some really fun and interesting reading material.
It all comes down to the quality of the material that the author is peddling. I'd bet that Badmike's Guide to Undermountain would not only sell well, but be better quality that the "empty" box set with nice maps that TSR put out "corporate-brew" style. If Badmike had published his materials vanity press-style 25 years ago then it would probably be highly sought-after materials on eBay today. Just because he didn't doesn't mean they would not be a good read and fun to play. They're not making anymore 1st, or even 2nd, Edition AD&D modules anymore so some of these "home-brew" items are all we'll ever have left. Granted some of the "home-brew" stuff may be awful, but then so were some of the "corporate-brew" TSR items... Gargoyle anyone?  :wink:


    I wish I had kept better notes on my Undermountain material; I had at least three very large sections detailed (off the top of my head, one was  vampire lair on the first level; another was a temple to Mask, and another was a goblin lair) and several mini adventures.  I had also taken an online publication where dozens of people had contributed rooms or short enounters for Ruins of Undermountain (most were a page or shorter), rewrote them to make some kind of logical sense and keyed them to specific areas of the dungeon.  Printed out it was over 70 pages of material!  I even had extended random encounter lists to every level. Yeh, and IMO I think most of it was pretty good stuff too, but I guess everyone has a tendency to over-rate their own work!  I'm still trying to find the box I put it all in.
   
Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 482
Joined: May 12, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 22, 2021

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:30 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:Printed out it was over 70 pages of material! I even had extended random encounter lists to every level. Yeh, and IMO I think most of it was pretty good stuff too, but I guess everyone has a tendency to over-rate their own work! I'm still trying to find the box I put it all in.


If you ever find it, you should re-write it for Castles & Crusades, file off the Forgotten REalms names and situations (i.e., make the god of thieves "Domino" and the ruins "Unterbergen" or something like that) and self-publish. Print to order; there are plenty of rapid print joints out there today. Price it at double your cost to print, plus amortized art costs, and the buyers pay all shipping costs. You get in print, buyers get a cool adventure, and you make a few bucks...

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 189
Joined: Dec 19, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 22, 2012

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:58 pm 
 

McDuff wrote:Here come the home brews. Due to the success of the Ruby Dragon auction they start coming out of the woodwork:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW


cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5190641308
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5190336144
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5189244621
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5189534307
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5190616671

Time to churn out all my own homebrew rules and mods from over the years (or hell just make some up now for all it matters) looks like people will buy this stuff.

~jeff

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 851
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 02, 2021

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:11 pm 
 

Actually, that Blood Royale supplement is infringing on someone's copyright.

The Auction wrote:A Games Workshop expansion written by Jervis Johnson & Paul Cockburn that came out in White Dwarf years ago and is very difficult to find that WD. The rules themselves are floating around the internet.

I have added many of my gaming groups own additions to the Religion aspect of the game, making it a little less of a War Game and a lot more of a Role Playing & Government intrigue game that GW was shooting for.
I also added some rules for Ship warfare that is very close to how ship warfare really took place in the 14th century. I have put them all together here for your convenience.

In his auction, he states who wrote it and where it was originally found.  Even if the rules are available on the Internet, that fact doesn't make it legal.  These things are a derivative work and are a violation (as I see it) of Ebay policy.

That's not cool.



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7960
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:19 pm 
 

jamesmishler wrote:
Badmike wrote:Printed out it was over 70 pages of material! I even had extended random encounter lists to every level. Yeh, and IMO I think most of it was pretty good stuff too, but I guess everyone has a tendency to over-rate their own work! I'm still trying to find the box I put it all in.


If you ever find it, you should re-write it for Castles & Crusades, file off the Forgotten REalms names and situations (i.e., make the god of thieves "Domino" and the ruins "Unterbergen" or something like that) and self-publish. Print to order; there are plenty of rapid print joints out there today. Price it at double your cost to print, plus amortized art costs, and the buyers pay all shipping costs. You get in print, buyers get a cool adventure, and you make a few bucks...


    Nice game plan, I think I'll hire you to be my promoter!!!  :D  I have decided to look through my notes and clean up some stuff and try to sell it. The UM stuff may take a while to get into some kind of saleable shape.  However, I have more stuff that is pretty much totally completed.  My 2nd edition rewrite of I1 Dweller in the Forbidden City will be sold online pretty soon. I wrote this about 15 years ago for my group when we switched to 2nd edition, about five years ago I cleaned it up, proofed it a bit, and made it more specific to my own campaign world of Azura (specifically the jungle kingdom and island of Delos).  It's 2nd edition but retains that 1st edition feel, for the most part all the encounters are the same except I added much more depth to the adventure....more logical motivations and a final deadly goal for the serpentmen (Yuan-Ti); more in depth info on the power struggles within the city; expanded encounters and personalities (the mage Horan is a Black Necromancer now, with attendant powers and spells, for example); completely updated character classes, monsters, powers, spells, treasures, etc for 2nd edition; some new and deadly foes (the Swamp Dragon Vifiticus is a party killer if played correctly, screw the cheesy oriental Pan Lung dragon in the original!).  In other words, pretty much the same adventure just updated and given much more detail, all the encounter keys are the same, as a matter of fact you MUST have the original module maps to run the adventure. What I will do is sell this as an ADDITION to the original I1. In other words, I will be selling a copy of I1 Forbidden City with an extra 40+ pages of original/adapated material to supplement the original publication.  You can chose to use the optional stuff, or toss it away without a glance, I guess my hope would be you would actually run it using my "additions" and let me know what you thought.  Final cost would be dependent on what copying costs are, plus how much extra time and effort I have to put in(I need to clean them up a bit and add an entire addendum explaining references to my own campaign world)  I also recall I used a map out of WGR2 Treasures of Greyhawk, I would have to figure how to include this (I guess I could draw my own, or I suppose almost everyone on these boards has a copy of this item so they could use their own map...?)
  Supply will be limited as I won't sell these individually (without a copy of I1 to go with it); early pre-orders are limited to, well, three copies (this is all I have of I1 in stock right now!).  If you are interested let me know; if not, show your support by roundly ignoring me.  If there is any interest, I'll see what else I have in the file cabinet; offhand, The Shadow Temple (reworking of a old AD&D adventure specific to my campaign world, I don't remember the original it was based on); David Howery's old Dungeon magazine adventure Elephant's Graveyard updated to 2nd ed (doubt I could sell this as I don't have any copies of the Dungeon magazine this originally came in and I wouldn't sell it separately); WG4 Lost Temple Tharizdun, X8 Drums on Fire Mountain, UK2 The Sentinel are a few I also updated, but they require some work.  So we'll see if this experiment bears any fruit or if I need to take my home brews and go home....

Mike B.

 WWW  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:01 pm 
 

McDuff wrote:Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Home Brew, I was the 2nd highest bidder on Ruby Dragon and have already bought a copy of Adventurer's Wanted. I would just prefer to purchase something old rather than something that is printed upon demand.

*nods in agreement*.

Guess that's where my "preferably not too recent" comment draws the line between older "home brew" material that's not likely to be reprinted in its original format (hand-coloring optional :P) and newer stuff where you just lob the .pdf back at the machine and out comes another book.

=
By all means, get that new/"unearthed" material out in POD form and I'll be happy to buy new at a decent price. Good "quality" preferable, but not compulsory!
Is still not quite the "same" as the old-style home-brews in terms of personal "involvement", IMHO; sore fingers from assembling, folding, stapling and all that jazz. :)

(Oh, and by "decent price", it costs me low side of $4 to print a 120 page perfect bound octavo paperback with a glossy color cover.
Work on a sensible margin from that and you might have a winner. ;))

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 210
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 25, 2018
Location: Northeast

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:20 pm 
 

I was rummaging through my old stuff this week and stumbled across some of my own home brew adventures and what not, which I thought was pretty hilarious.  I thought I'd post some scans here, and really would love to see others post their hilarious concoctions!  
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2459
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 05, 2021
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:49 pm 
 

I laughed out loud... The castle of Sir Rotting Ham.. you kill me...

Brette:)

 WWW  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2