RD1 - Ruby Dragon
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 am 

I agree and disagree.

If you are gearing a product for the collector's market then probably a reprint of the original is preferred but if you are looking to sell it to an audience geared more to using the product then you would need something more polished.  RD1 is basically a ready to go product but I'm guessing the original files used to create it are gone and will need to be recreated.  So, you can do some basic reformatting and maybe bring the page count down a bit.

From what I gather, RD2-5 will need a fair bit of work and maybe a lot of it needs to be done by the author before it gets to a stage where others can help with editing and layout etc.  Its tough to figure out what to do with that much material as well (I'm having the same problem with a couple other projects) - a series of 5 modules or a compilation hardcover?  RD1 is 38 pages I believe so maybe all of it together will be 150+ pages.  Realistically, thinking of rate that Pacesetter and Pinnell produce items, this is years of work that ends up being more a labour of love rather than a profitable commercial enterprise.

As for numbers, there are still 20 copies of the Clegg items left on RPGmarketplace out of 100 with many people buying multiple copies and a number of them already resold on Ebay.  20-25 copies seems like a reasonable estimate.  This is roughly the range that RC has printed up for a number of his printed releases here so I think its a good guess.  Of course, taking pre-orders to get an exact count works well too.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 am 

Mars wrote in RD1 - Ruby Dragon:
N.AlanPatterson wrote in RD1 - Ruby Dragon:As far as reprinting, depending on cost I might do a very limited 2nd printing (less then 20 copies), and these will be noted 2nd prints.  After which I am thinking on working with the Texas Con and their archiving project.

I think the proposal is to do a limited reprint now (that will be enough copies for everyone here) and allow NTRPG to reprint it later for con goers as well.

Without coordinating with Mark or Alan or Doug, that sounds about right.  The con would never support such a limited print run (we have to do a minimum of 50 to even think about breaking even on printing costs).  Also we would have to re-format the item to digest sized or some other format, plus conversion. I think what Mars is proposing is an exact facsimile based on the orignal adventure, in a limited POD.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 am 

Mars wrote in RD1 - Ruby Dragon:I agree and disagree.

If you are gearing a product for the collector's market then probably a reprint of the original is preferred but if you are looking to sell it to an audience geared more to using the product then you would need something more polished.  RD1 is basically a ready to go product but I'm guessing the original files used to create it are gone and will need to be recreated.  So, you can do some basic reformatting and maybe bring the page count down a bit.

From what I gather, RD2-5 will need a fair bit of work and maybe a lot of it needs to be done by the author before it gets to a stage where others can help with editing and layout etc.  Its tough to figure out what to do with that much material as well (I'm having the same problem with a couple other projects) - a series of 5 modules or a compilation hardcover?  RD1 is 38 pages I believe so maybe all of it together will be 150+ pages.  Realistically, thinking of rate that Pacesetter and Pinnell produce items, this is years of work that ends up being more a labour of love rather than a profitable commercial enterprise.

As for numbers, there are still 20 copies of the Clegg items left on RPGmarketplace out of 100 with many people buying multiple copies and a number of them already resold on Ebay.  20-25 copies seems like a reasonable estimate.  This is roughly the range that RC has printed up for a number of his printed releases here so I think its a good guess.  Of course, taking pre-orders to get an exact count works well too.

Mars and i don't agree on a lot of things but he is spot on here.  First, 20 copies is plenty if you limit it to one per person (also eliminate speculators).  The Clegg items probably only sold to 40 unique buyers in total (many bought multiple copies), I think Ruby Dragon would bring in far less.  That's why pre-orders would be important.

I would be against getting "established" companies involved. Bill and Pacesetter have plenty on their plates already.  Black Blade hasn't published anything new in several years.  RC has his own items that he does a great job on.  As Mars said this wouldn't be a money making venture so it would be tough to get outside companies involved, it would be a labor of love. I was volunteering to Alan to do a conversion to S&W or Labyrinth Lord myself for con publication, and I'm not getting paid. I can't see a professional taking this amount of time to do this, and I wouldn't ask.

And this just applies to RD1.  The rest of the RD series would require a lot of work I suspect.  If Mars/Alan ever get those in printable form the NTRPG con would be interested in looking at it, but that seems far off in the future, myself I'm only concentrating on RD1 for the present.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm 

Dispite my apparent inability to secure the more interesting products from NTRPGCon over the years, in regard to a direct repring facsimile if the original, I'm with Badmike and NTRPGCon. They have an established process that produces a good quality product at a very reasonable price. I only ask that they do not limit access for foreign buyers, either before or after the Con', as without access to the most desireable products, the process takes on a visage of a small inhouse clique proffiteering at the expence of others.

Why not reprint ad infinitum with no distinction between print runs?
Or would that ruin the investment and resale values for the lucky few?

Good products, but at the moment limited to those with the capacity to proffiteer off of the collectors who want to buy these products.
Let's hope they find a more even distribution mechanism as Acaeum is an international community and the most desireable of these products do not appear to be available to international buyers unless you want to spend $80-$200 on eBay.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 pm 

If you post a pre-order list for reprints I'd certainly like to get a copy (or if you are using this thread for pre-orders please put me down for a copy)

Thanks
Jason

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:52 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in RD1 - Ruby Dragon:Dispite my apparent inability to secure the more interesting products from NTRPGCon over the years, in regard to a direct repring facsimile if the original, I'm with Badmike and NTRPGCon. They have an established process that produces a good quality product at a very reasonable price. I only ask that they do not limit access for foreign buyers, either before or after the Con', as without access to the most desireable products, the process takes on a visage of a small inhouse clique proffiteering at the expence of others.

Why not reprint ad infinitum with no distinction between print runs?
Or would that ruin the investment and resale values for the lucky few?

Good products, but at the moment limited to those with the capacity to proffiteer off of the collectors who want to buy these products.
Let's hope they find a more even distribution mechanism as Acaeum is an international community and the most desireable of these products do not appear to be available to international buyers unless you want to spend $80-$200 on eBay.

It's a two-sided blade in regards to printing something like this.

If you tell everyone you are printing a lot of them and not limiting the print runs, you will sell far, far less. I know this personally. Especially with collectors who decide at that point they aren't in any rush to purchase since the amount is unlimited, they put off buying your product in favor of something that has a limited (either time limit or amount) release.

As for the NTRPG Con items, I just saw that Doug has the nearly full roster of the last two years of releases up on RPG Marketplace...and we ship internationally.  But we don't apologize for offering con attendees first come, first served in regards to con publications...the entire point is an enticement for someone to attend the con and get access to exclusive items first.  A thank-you to those who support the convention.  If they sell out at the con, so be it.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:39 pm 

Badmike wrote in RD1 - Ruby Dragon:
Mars wrote in RD1 - Ruby Dragon:I agree and disagree.

Mars and i don't agree on a lot of things but he is spot on here.  First, 20 copies is plenty if you limit it to one per person (also eliminate speculators).  The Clegg items probably only sold to 40 unique buyers in total (many bought multiple copies), I think Ruby Dragon would bring in far less.  That's why pre-orders would be important.

I would be against getting "established" companies involved. Bill and Pacesetter have plenty on their plates already.  Black Blade hasn't published anything new in several years.  RC has his own items that he does a great job on.  As Mars said this wouldn't be a money making venture so it would be tough to get outside companies involved, it would be a labor of love. I was volunteering to Alan to do a conversion to S&W or Labyrinth Lord myself for con publication, and I'm not getting paid. I can't see a professional taking this amount of time to do this, and I wouldn't ask.

And this just applies to RD1.  The rest of the RD series would require a lot of work I suspect.  If Mars/Alan ever get those in printable form the NTRPG con would be interested in looking at it, but that seems far off in the future, myself I'm only concentrating on RD1 for the present.

Mike B.

There discussions in motion.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:29 am 

Well, sticking to this thread only and following the posting sequence, this is the actual list for the pre-orders which has been autogenerated by all of us:

1.        cdenham
2.        Gnat
3.        misterspock
4.        stratochamp (original only?)
5.        Versimilitude
6.        benjoshua
7.        aia
8.        lokiwookie
9.        Thunderdave
10.        PM-Knight
11.        mbassoc2003
12.        Prufrock
13.        JasonZavoda

...prb mars is right, a 25 limited print for here is more than enough...
ciaooo

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:57 am 

I would be interested in a copy as well.

-Shawn

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:02 am 

Oh hell, throw me in in for one copy too.  It's only money.  :-)

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:53 am 

Ditto.

Hector.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:26 pm 

I'd like a copy or two as well.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:04 pm 

I would like a copy as well :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:41 am 

First and foremost,

THANK YOU

All of you have been fantastic, the guidance and positive feedback I have gotten in the past week has been insane. Ian, Mark, Bill ... I can not thank you enough for all your time and effort answering my plethora of questions.
I'm just an like little kid right now, pulling out my old books, mini's, maps and going nuts.

My thoughts on publication;

A: My priority is to protect the value of my first "run" and those that bought them. I am not a "collector" but I am well versed in the "print" value concept.
B: I love the idea of doing a "Acaeum Collectors Edition" for you guys / gals ONLY ..and yes, I will sign and number each one (buys stock in Ibuprofen).
C: When all is said and done I want to actually Finish the entire series RD1 > RD7 and make it atractive to the 21st century geek ..opps, I mean gamer  :lol:

I am leaving most of this up to the experts, I'm just a crazy, creative writer not a publisher or collector.  What was it that Carnegy said " I did not get rich by being smart, I got wealthy by surrounding myself with people smarter then me."

On a side note;
For years I have wanted to hang that RD5 poster in the house. My wife always argued ..this is not a bachelor pad anymore, we don't live in a gaming store.
This past weekend my wife said ..I think we need a better frame for that, if it's going to be hanging in the living room. hahahahaha  Thanks guys ..one small win for the gamer in me.  :mrgreen:
Hey been married a long time, I take all the small wins I can get !!!

Once again, Thank you all.
N. Alan Patterson

WWW YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:51 pm 

updated "Acaeum Collectos edition" list:

1.        cdenham
2.        Gnat
3.        misterspock
5.        Versimilitude
6.        benjoshua
7.        aia
8.        lokiwookie
9.        Thunderdave
10.        PM-Knight
11.        mbassoc2003
12.        Prufrock
13.        JasonZavoda
14.       Burntwire Bros
15.       Throwi
16.       Chuco 68
17.       dbartman
18.       Blackmoor

hope this helps!
ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 pm 

aia wrote in RD1 - Ruby Dragon:updated "Acaeum Collectos edition" list:

1.        cdenham
2.        Gnat
3.        misterspock
5.        Versimilitude
6.        benjoshua
7.        aia
8.        lokiwookie
9.        Thunderdave
10.        PM-Knight
11.        mbassoc2003
12.        Prufrock
13.        JasonZavoda
14.       Burntwire Bros
15.       Throwi
16.       Chuco 68
17.       dbartman
18.       Blackmoor

hope this helps!
ciaooo

SEE THE FIRST POST IN THE POLL THREAD. DO NOT USE THE POST ABOVE.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 pm 

Is it too late to jump on board?  I would be interested in 1 copy if available.

Thanks, Dane

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:00 pm 

Added (and paid)!!!   :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord