RD1 - Ruby Dragon
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:24 am 

The Iron Wind was the first product put out by ICE, and meant to be a campaign setting for AD&D even though it was billed and statted as generic fantasy.  
It's actually a well done product; there are different printings each with its own cover, though I know the contents are identical for the first two reprints/repackagings.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:54 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
grodog wrote:So Ian, when you get this thing, do please let us know whether it's legit or not :D

You mean if I get it.

Oh yeah, forgot about the seller.  Good luck on that.

I'm not too fussed if it's legit or not. It falls into the catagory of extremely unusual items that I like to collect. I picked up a campaign setting called The Iron Wind from Iron Crown Enterprises just last week. I can't find anything about it on line, but it's a whole realm of fantasy, complete with castles, dungeon, scattered villages and a city. Kinda like Starstone.

Sounds very interesting, thanks for the tip, and the additional info David and William :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:46 pm 

have you guys all forgot this seller is a thief??????

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:46 pm 

draco76 wrote:have you guys all forgot this seller is a thief??????

That is kind of my thoughts about this..... :? I can tell you that prick will not see 1 penny of my money, nor would I allow him to buy the sweat off my nuts if he wanted to pay $1000 for it.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:56 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
draco76 wrote:have you guys all forgot this seller is a thief??????

That is kind of my thoughts about this..... :? I can tell you that prick will not see 1 penny of my money, nor would I allow him to buy the sweat off my nuts if he wanted to pay $1000 for it.

He's actually sold some stuff I wanted, but I wont' bid on anything he's hawking.  He's also now blocked from my own auctions.  Plus, as I've mentioned earlier, he's starting to move to "Stage 2" of his metamorphosis....apparantly his shipping times are getting a little slower.  Nothing to really worry about...yet...but he's following the same pattern as the previous two times.

Mike B.

Very pleased with book took awhile to arrive but that was Mail fault not seller
 Buyer   sithtar ( 43)   May-02-05 10:27  5182126809

Shipping was the main problem. Item recieved was in great shape.
 Buyer   theoriginalfuzzie ( 4 )   Apr-29-05 04:21  5182955781  
Reply by jonb7839: Sorry about that! Got a little overwhelmed there! : ) Hope you Enjoy it!   Apr-29-05 16:20

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:01 pm 

I don't care what he is offering; I won't bid on any of it either.  
We shouldn't reward a thief.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:47 pm 

Badmike wrote:
dathon wrote:
Cool... that would _almost_ make it worthwhile to place a bid, if it weren't ECT's auction.
Seriously, I bet if you typed up BadMike's Undermountain it would fetch a nice price. :D

You jest, but I"m THIS CLOSE to beginning to print up my old 1st and 2nd edition adventures, slap a funky color cover on them, and start selling them on Ebay. Telling everyone these are the "unapproved" versions with "misprints" and "limited printings". If I succeed maybe be can start our own Aceaum Oldies Service, everyone send me in your homemade crap and we'll all split the profits after reprinting and selling them on Ebay.

Isn't there something just faintly illegal about that though?

Mike B.

Hey, I'm game! I must have 20+ old adventures lying around. I bet a few of them could rival G2 (minus the artwork though) :cry:
pleveich

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:52 pm 

Badmike wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

He's actually sold some stuff I wanted, but I wont' bid on anything he's hawking. He's also now blocked from my own auctions. Plus, as I've mentioned earlier, he's starting to move to "Stage 2" of his metamorphosis....apparantly his shipping times are getting a little slower. Nothing to really worry about...yet...but he's following the same pattern as the previous two times.

Mike B.

Buyer  sithtar ( 43)  May-02-05 10:27 5182126809

Buyer  theoriginalfuzzie ( 4 )  Apr-29-05 04:21 5182955781
Reply by jonb7839: Sorry about that! Got a little overwhelmed there! : ) Hope you Enjoy it!  Apr-29-05 16:20

You're dead on Mike. I grabbed one of the TSR dice bags when he first started. Well BEFORE it arrived he bid on, won and received something from me, then I e-mailed him, he replied that one came back chewed up and that must have been it and another was on the way. Well it arrived and is as advertised but it was a long wait.

pleveich

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:26 am 

pleveich wrote:
Badmike wrote:
He's actually sold some stuff I wanted, but I wont' bid on anything he's hawking. He's also now blocked from my own auctions. Plus, as I've mentioned earlier, he's starting to move to "Stage 2" of his metamorphosis....apparantly his shipping times are getting a little slower. Nothing to really worry about...yet...but he's following the same pattern as the previous two times.

Mike B.

Buyer sithtar ( 43) May-02-05 10:27 5182126809

Buyer theoriginalfuzzie ( 4 ) Apr-29-05 04:21 5182955781
Reply by jonb7839: Sorry about that! Got a little overwhelmed there! : ) Hope you Enjoy it! Apr-29-05 16:20

You're dead on Mike. I grabbed one of the TSR dice bags when he first started. Well BEFORE it arrived he bid on, won and received something from me, then I e-mailed him, he replied that one came back chewed up and that must have been it and another was on the way. Well it arrived and is as advertised but it was a long wait.

pleveich

Thanks very much for confirming Stage Two has now definitely been reached.  It's only a matter of time before State Three is entered, this will be heralded by a rash of Negs and Neutrals from buyers who are having to wait unconscienceable times for their items to arrive.  Said feedback will be followed with excuses referenceing either personal illness, family illness or problems, computer virus troubles, death in the family, school problems, or maybe he'll throw something new our way.  Be warned, once Stage Three has been reached you only have a 75% chance of actually receiving what you won, and percentages get lower every week afterwards.
 What exactly is this guy's problem with shipping?  You would think that after THREE TIMES he might have finally worked out a viable method of shipping to allow him to get items to owners within several weeks.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:57 am 

Badmike wrote:
pleveich wrote:

pleveich

Thanks very much for confirming Stage Two has now definitely been reached. It's only a matter of time before State Three is entered, this will be heralded by a rash of Negs and Neutrals from buyers who are having to wait unconscienceable times for their items to arrive. Said feedback will be followed with excuses referenceing either personal illness, family illness or problems, computer virus troubles, death in the family, school problems, or maybe he'll throw something new our way. Be warned, once Stage Three has been reached you only have a 75% chance of actually receiving what you won, and percentages get lower every week afterwards.
What exactly is this guy's problem with shipping? You would think that after THREE TIMES he might have finally worked out a viable method of shipping to allow him to get items to owners within several weeks.

Mike B.

Yes, especially since at the time he had just run the first set of auctions. Doing the shipping/packaging is a pain when you are selling a lot of stuff but shipping stuff out within 3 days of payment confirmed/received should be a minimum  time for any dealer on eBay.

pleveich

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:28 am 

Just to get back on topic a bit, I am curious as to the authenticity of this item, despite the emailed description he sent me, I was unable to locate either the author (through any other works), the company (via other releases) or the artist (though the name seems to be associated with a number of different artists/photographers...wierd but not helpful).   I would be interested in knowing the quality of the production of this "find", as soon as mbassoc2003 recieves it maybe he will bring us up to speed?

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:13 am 

GamersRest[FNG] wrote:Just to get back on topic a bit, I am curious as to the authenticity of this item, despite the emailed description he sent me, I was unable to locate either the author (through any other works), the company (via other releases) or the artist (though the name seems to be associated with a number of different artists/photographers...wierd but not helpful).  I would be interested in knowing the quality of the production of this "find", as soon as mbassoc2003 recieves it maybe he will bring us up to speed?

~jeff

It's as authentic as any other homemade undistributed module would be, i.e. I think I'll start writing up and selling my classics "Undermountain: The Unexplored Rooms" or "Anti Paladin in the  Desert" or whatever else I came up with the last 20+ years, just slap a nice cover on it and professionally print it up, and I bet you would also have a hard time finding my offical bio or other pertinent information unless you happen to be a Acaeum fan  :D
 In other words, I wouldn't waste too much time doing any more research on this "find".

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:21 am 

Just a small note.

I can't as I'm on a deadline for a magazine now, but I was wondering if someone of us who has some spare time and detective skills could calculate a rough estimate of the items our friend Jonb is selling, and the chunk that's going to ebay/paypal...

I think THAT would be a worthwhile reading.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:20 am 

Badmike wrote:It's as authentic as any other homemade undistributed module would be, i.e. I think I'll start writing up and selling my classics "Undermountain: The Unexplored Rooms" or "Anti Paladin in the Desert" or whatever else I came up with the last 20+ years, just slap a nice cover on it and professionally print it up, and I bet you would also have a hard time finding my offical bio or other pertinent information unless you happen to be a Acaeum fan :D
In other words, I wouldn't waste too much time doing any more research on this "find".

Mike B.

If you were to do that mike, and you were to count up the hours it took you to type it all up, and whatever you had to do to get good quality art work and cartography, and after all that, there was to be only one copy crop up on eBay, would you really be willing to do that for $60?

I think if you're going to put in the time, you need to get good distribution, and that's where the plan falls down. With World of Sarland for example, I paid for the fact that the guy had invested years of gameplay and months of time in typing up his manuscript. I know I have the only copy unless one of the previous owners took a photocopy, as the auther onlt printed two copies, one for himself and one for his friend who was moving away and wanted to continue the campaign with a new gaming group.

The copy I have is the copy given to the friend. The authors copy was destroyed by him in the early nineties. It also makes for very good reading.

But if you are goint to type up scenarios, and you are going to limit yourself to one copy on eBay, I'll certainly be taking a look.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:17 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Badmike wrote:It's as authentic as any other homemade undistributed module would be, i.e. I think I'll start writing up and selling my classics "Undermountain: The Unexplored Rooms" or "Anti Paladin in the Desert" or whatever else I came up with the last 20+ years, just slap a nice cover on it and professionally print it up, and I bet you would also have a hard time finding my offical bio or other pertinent information unless you happen to be a Acaeum fan :D

Mike B.

If you were to do that mike, and you were to count up the hours it took you to type it all up, and whatever you had to do to get good quality art work and cartography, and after all that, there was to be only one copy crop up on eBay, would you really be willing to do that for $60?

I think if you're going to put in the time, you need to get good distribution, and that's where the plan falls down. With World of Sarland for example, I paid for the fact that the guy had invested years of gameplay and months of time in typing up his manuscript. I know I have the only copy unless one of the previous owners took a photocopy, as the auther onlt printed two copies, one for himself and one for his friend who was moving away and wanted to continue the campaign with a new gaming group.

The copy I have is the copy given to the friend. The authors copy was destroyed by him in the early nineties. It also makes for very good reading.

But if you are goint to type up scenarios, and you are going to limit yourself to one copy on eBay, I'll certainly be taking a look.

You make a good point.  We all have homemade goodies laying around...the trick is to print it up and make it resemble anything close to an actual published product, then limit yourself to ONE sale after all that work.  Seriously here, I know I wouldn't put all that work in unless I could sell multiple copies of said item. And then once you are printing multiple copies, you are teasing copyright laws as well as diminishing the collectible value of your own item.   Having said that, most of my campaign stuff is already on my computer in the form of word files, it would take very little work to run copies of scenarios; my problem would be very little of my own cartography is original...I reused maps from any number of published products and filled in the areas myself (I hated drawing up dungeon plans).    
   In my latest campaign, the key campaign adventure is a massive reworking of I1 Dwellers in the Forbidden City, I'm sure whoever owns the rights now (Kenzer?) wouldn't be happy with my version (it's not even D20 since my group uses 2nd edition) selling for 20 bucks a pop on Ebay (complete with original TSR maps!!!!).  But, then again, I think selling such an item for 25 bucks a pop to any interested parties in off-ebay sales would be way, way under any sort of radar from these companies.  As I understand, most if not all 1st and 2nd edition items are not open liscense, but I doubt the powers that now be would be interested in kicking down your doors like the TSR police of old if you sold an original homemade scenario.  At the most, maybe a cease and desist letter if you actually advertised you were selling a reworking of say WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun?

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:01 am 

And if there are multiple copies available, or even limited print run of say 100 or so, you'd be hard pushed to auction them off at $20 a hit.

I buy these items on the off chance that they are unique or at least in single figures. This one is a gamble because there could be many.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:23 am 

Given that print on demand costs have dropped substantially from where they were a few years ago, if anyone's seriously interested in professionally printing copies of their own campaign adventures/sourcebooks/etc., feel free to drop me a line:  I'm sure Tadashi would consider publishing them from DWP if all you're looking for is editing/layout/etc., and you are willing to do the marketing/sales yourself.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:33 am 

Ruby Dragon never turned up. Those on the ball will note the neg. feedback. I've had to go to PayPal to try to recover funds. I have my Credit Card as a fall back. Does anyone know how long back you can make a claim on a credit card?

PreviousNext