RD1 - Ruby Dragon
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:37 am 

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... otohosting
Has anyone heard of this before? Or is jonb actually making up modules now? :roll:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:00 am 

deimos3428 wrote:cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a ... otohosting
Has anyone heard of this before? Or is jonb actually making up modules now? :roll:

<<<<<This Lot contains an EXTREMELY hard to come by AD&D 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Adventure Module....RD1 TALE OF THE RUBY DRAGON!!!
A Very Collectable Adventure that was Never approved by TSR!!

Making them Extremely Hard to find and VERY Sought after by Dungeons and Dragpns Collectors!!

This is the ONLY Copy of this Module that I have EVER SEEN!!!>>>>>

I think the "never approved by TSR" and "Only copy he's ever seen" are pretty much giveaways that the item is homemade....the badly taken photo seems to confirm.  If this sells, you can bet some of my "never approved by TSR" stuff will make it's way to the marketplace....

Mike B.

Last edited by Badmike on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:48 am 

Badmike wrote:<<<<<This Lot contains an EXTREMELY hard to come by AD&D 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Adventure Module....RD1 TALE OF THE RUBY DRAGON!!!

Making them Extremely Hard to find and VERY Sought after by Dungeons and Dragpns Collectors!!

I think the "never approved by TSR" and "Only copy he's ever seen" are pretty much giveaways that the item is homemade crap....the badly taken photo seems to confirm. If this sells, you can bet some of my "never approved by TSR" stuff will make it's way to the marketplace....

Mike B.

Cool... that would _almost_ make it worthwhile to place a bid, if it weren't ECT's auction.
Seriously, I bet if you typed up BadMike's Undermountain it would fetch a nice price. :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:10 pm 

Every adventure I've ever designed for my group is VERY COLLECTIBLE, NEVER APPROVED BY TSR, and THE ONLY ONE I'VE EVER SEEN.

:wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:16 pm 

HOW can something be HIGHLY SOUGHT after by COLLECTORS if no one KNOWS that it EXISTS?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:03 am 

Well I took the initiative and emailed a question to JonB, and here is the response I received.   Hope it helps.

~jeff

Dear gamersrest,

You asked:
"Do you have any additional info about this item, like who published it, was it part of a set, author/art credits. It seems to be an interesting item, however I can find no real info about this online. Any additional info would help."

The module was written by N. Alan Patterson. Under that is says for Character levels 1-5 under that is says This module has not been approved by TSR--Yet! It was produced by Alto Unlimited Inc. Cover Art by David Soler. Cant find a Copyright date anywhere. I think its around 88 or early 90s I would think. Its a really obscure item...I thought collectors would get a kick out of seeing. The only one like I've ever seen. I hope this helped some..I wish I knew more of its history. I've asked around and could not get any imput on it. Well thanks for your interest in it! Jon : )

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:01 am 

A new non-TSR discovery, then?

dathon wrote:Cool... that would _almost_ make it worthwhile to place a bid, if it weren't ECT's auction.
Seriously, I bet if you typed up BadMike's Undermountain it would fetch a nice price. :D

So William, are you tempted by the Heritage set of miniatures? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:48 am 

The_sloop_jonb wrote:The module was written by N. Alan Patterson. Under that is says for Character levels 1-5 under that is says This module has not been approved by TSR--Yet! It was produced by Alto Unlimited Inc. Cover Art by David Soler. Cant find a Copyright date anywhere. I think its around 88 or early 90s I would think. Its a really obscure item...I thought collectors would get a kick out of seeing. The only one like I've ever seen. I hope this helped some..I wish I knew more of its history. I've asked around and could not get any imput on it. Well thanks for your interest in it! Jon : )

Ummm...where exactly did he "ask around"?  This one ranks right up there with G2 squared... :roll: Maybe less...some of us seemed to like that one.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:51 am 

Yea, I agree it is definitely some homemade BS. Alto Unlimited is an internet service provider out in California. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:10 am 

dathon wrote:
Badmike wrote:<<<<<This Lot contains an EXTREMELY hard to come by AD&D 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Adventure Module....RD1 TALE OF THE RUBY DRAGON!!!

I think the "never approved by TSR" and "Only copy he's ever seen" are pretty much giveaways that the item is homemade crap....the badly taken photo seems to confirm. If this sells, you can bet some of my "never approved by TSR" stuff will make it's way to the marketplace....

Mike B.

Cool... that would _almost_ make it worthwhile to place a bid, if it weren't ECT's auction.
Seriously, I bet if you typed up BadMike's Undermountain it would fetch a nice price. :D

You jest, but I"m THIS CLOSE to beginning to print up my old 1st and 2nd edition adventures, slap a funky color cover on them, and start selling them on Ebay.  Telling everyone these are the "unapproved" versions with "misprints" and "limited printings". If I succeed maybe be can start our own Aceaum Oldies Service, everyone send me in your homemade crap and we'll all split the profits after reprinting and selling them on Ebay.

Isn't there something just faintly illegal about that though?  

Mike B.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:Isn't there something just faintly illegal about that though?

In the 1980's, a TSR SWAT team would have crashed through your window for attempting something like that.  Nowadays, if the module violates the d20 license... you'll probably end up with a cease-and-desist letter.  And that's as far as it would go, especially since it's obvious this module is not being sold on a wide commercial scale.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:30 am 

grodog wrote:

Which Heritage set of miniatures?  I've been looking for the LotR box sets by Heritage such as Mines of Moria.   :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:42 pm 

dathon wrote:
grodog wrote:

Which Heritage set of miniatures? I've been looking for the LotR box sets by Heritage such as Mines of Moria.  :D

The same seller had a shrinked (?) Heritage MUs and Clerics box IIRC....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:39 pm 

So Ian, when you get this thing, do please let us know whether it's legit or not :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:17 am 

grodog wrote:
dathon wrote:
Which Heritage set of miniatures? I've been looking for the LotR box sets by Heritage such as Mines of Moria. :D

The same seller had a shrinked (?) Heritage MUs and Clerics box IIRC....

I've already got that one.   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:54 am 

grodog wrote:So Ian, when you get this thing, do please let us know whether it's legit or not :D

You mean if I get it.
I'm not too fussed if it's legit or not. It falls into the catagory of extremely unusual items that I like to collect. I picked up a campaign setting called The Iron Wind from Iron Crown Enterprises just last week. I can't find anything about it on line, but it's a whole realm of fantasy, complete with castles, dungeon, scattered villages and a city. Kinda like Starstone.
Ruby Dragoun will be interesting. I haven't ever read any of the FR stuff, so I'll post a breif synopsis and some photos.
Do you still have Quest for the Golden Orb, Allan?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:31 am 

aside:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I picked up a campaign setting called The Iron Wind from Iron Crown Enterprises just last week. I can't find anything about it on line, but it's a whole realm of fantasy, complete with castles, dungeon, scattered villages and a city. Kinda like Starstone.

Was a fair price that, given that IO was breathing down your neck. :)

Page not found | ICEWEBRING
(Have seen the original cover version more often than the revised one, but no idea as to whether that's indicative of relative rarity).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:21 am 

Thank, David. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Next