B10 Night's Dark Terror
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:05 am 

hi folks. am sure everyone is familiar with this mod :)

just wondered if anyone knew any good background on it, apart from what the acaeum says about it.

see its like this:

I got a minty copy of this today, B10, and on the back it says it should have 120 counters, but it doesnt have any - it has everything else, bar that. A mate of mine has got a couple too, without any counters and others i have asked, don't have counters either.

Now....module B/X-1, which was the UK counterpart of B10, which was withdrawn after a v.short release, DOES have counters. My mate kev has one, which i have seen with my own eyes (and he won't bloody part with it either  :evil: )

so my question is this. does the B10 actually have counters?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:06 am 

Yes.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:07 am 

fookin ell that was fast! i only just posted that then :D

well that makes about 6 copies without counters then - not a 1 !!! :D

well at least i know now :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:27 pm 

As far as I could remember, the B10 didn't contain any counters, even if there's a reference to them on the back of the module.

IMHO, they've planned to insert some to play in the map of the village and help players and DM to determine the outcome of the attack, but in the last roundup they have been trashed from the project, leaving the reference in.

Just my .02, of course.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:10 pm 

My copy has the counters included. It isnt the B/X-1 Uk version. I still need one of those  :wink:

Mike

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:54 pm 

rosenkav wrote:As far as I could remember, the B10 didn't contain any counters, even if there's a reference to them on the back of the module.

IMHO, they've planned to insert some to play in the map of the village and help players and DM to determine the outcome of the attack, but in the last roundup they have been trashed from the project, leaving the reference in.

Just my .02, of course.

so do you think any were ever released without the counters?

i just find it really strange that i find soooo many ppl with a VERY good copy of it, yet no counters at all, but everything else. this one i got today, is VERY minty and hardly looks like its ever even been opened....so would look a little odd for counters not to be there....and of course you would expect there to be a slight gap in the closed module where the uncut counters would have been ?

having never really read B10 / B/X-1 before, were the counters vital to the module or could you run it without them?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:04 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:so do you think any were ever released without the counters?

i just find it really strange that i find soooo many ppl with a VERY good copy of it, yet no counters at all, but everything else. this one i got today, is VERY minty and hardly looks like its ever even been opened....so would look a little odd for counters not to be there....and of course you would expect there to be a slight gap in the closed module where the uncut counters would have been ?

having never really read B10 / B/X-1 before, were the counters vital to the module or could you run it without them?

Al

Its possible I suppose, but not likely. I just think like X10, the counters being so small especially when they are punched, they get easily lost, forgotten about or perhaps even thrown away. 8O I do also have a copy unpunched and complete though. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:56 pm 

Fact is that - having played the module - it features an assault made on a small village detailed on the map, divided in squares. The village is drawn on a scale that makes the use of miniatures very handy for players and DM. Very tactical - one-on-one.

It's not on a strategic scale like X10 or DL11, where a hex grid is superimposed to the map to determine the movement of the counters (which represent heroes or units), like in the old boardgames.

If there were any counters present, I guess they wouldn't have been like the half-an-inch wide of DL11 and X10, but shaped and dimensioned more like the base of the miniatures, that is a full inch inch wide - and doing 120 of these would have required much more than one sheet of counters, especially because some of the orcish attackers were mounted on worgs - that is, cavalry (two times as big as the "foot" soldiers).

The other possibility would be of having the counters printed on a lighter paper, like the one of the map, and cut by hand... and I really can't remember if I did that.

But well, I purchased this one a lot of time ago.... the best would be to find someone who possesses a shrinked copy of it and determine (by touch) if the counters, which are printed on a heavier card stock, are present or not.

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:31 pm 

rosenkav wrote:It's not on a strategic scale like X10 or DL11, where a hex grid is superimposed to the map to determine the movement of the counters (which represent heroes or units), like in the old boardgames.

If there were any counters present, I guess they wouldn't have been like the half-an-inch wide of DL11 and X10, but shaped and dimensioned more like the base of the miniatures, that is a full inch inch wide - and doing 120 of these would have required much more than one sheet of counters, especially because some of the orcish attackers were mounted on worgs - that is, cavalry (two times as big as the "foot" soldiers).

But well, I purchased this one a lot of time ago.... the best would be to find someone who possesses a shrinked copy of it and determine (by touch) if the counters, which are printed on a heavier card stock, are present or not.

The cardstock counterboard is heavier than that of X10 and it comes a single sheet. It has it has 20 1 1/2" by 3/4" counters, 32 3/4" by 3/4" counters, and 72 1/2" by 1/2" counters. WHich of course all makes sense because as everyone knows, 20+32+72=120 er.... or is 124. Go figure. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:39 pm 

Now I'm getting really curious about those counters... and yes, there are four more than advertised (maybe leaving them alone in the night's dark terror they have mated on the meantime?)  :lol:

Any possibilities of seeing a picture of them? Would be greatly appreciated!

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:42 pm 

rosenkav wrote:Any possibilities of seeing a picture of them? Would be greatly appreciated!

Youre killing me. I just put everythnig back. :evil: [j/k]

Okay okay, give me a few minutes and I ll post one. :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:01 pm 

Here is one picture:

and here is the other:

Sorry about the size and the glare, but I hope this helps. :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:03 pm 

Holy cow!!!

Now that I see them in their full glory (thanks bclarkie!) something strikes on my ugly forefront like a Hammer +3 Dwarven Thrower...

I have seen them before...

... and seems I have lost them too ...  :(

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:48 pm 

rosenkav wrote:Holy cow!!!

Now that I see them in their full glory (thanks bclarkie!) something strikes on my ugly forefront like a Hammer +3 Dwarven Thrower...

I have seen them before...

... and seems I have lost them too ... :(

You can always double check your Battlesystem box set.  They are very similar . . . I found a whole unpunched sheet of these in a Battlesystem once.  I sold them for $15.00 too!  Not that bad a deal really, as they probably will increase the relative worth of a B10 without counters by at least $15.00.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:30 pm 

Our good friend JuliaBulia just auctioned off a B10 with the counters. As it closed 4am Australian time, I put in a bid of US$67.00 and went to bed. Of course, I was outbid:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Has anyone been able to talk to anyone involved in the production of this module at TSR? There must be a history to it. It seems there may have been a limited release with the counters and for one reason or another they stopped including them or vice versa. Given their scarcity, most B10s must have been sold new without them. This may mean the B10 with the counters is a different print.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:09 am 

Seems to me I might have a spare set of those counters in one of my miscellaneous junk boxes.  If I find it I'll post the info here for those who might be interested.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:49 pm 

dbartman wrote:Seems to me I might have a spare set of those counters in one of my miscellaneous junk boxes.  If I find it I'll post the info here for those who might be interested.

Thanks. It would be very interesting to know the history of this item. If you've any spare you wish to sell...... :)

The info on Acaeum currently states:

B10 Night's Dark Terror is a "bridge" module between the Basic and Expert D&D sets.  Includes a large, 2' x 3' fold-out map and 120 cardboard counters.  Thanks to James Caldwell for help with this info.

However, I can't believe it was published universally with the counters. The counters just seem to be so rare. I have tried in vain to get a set for about four years now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:05 pm 

The counters just seem to be so rare. I have tried in vain to get a set for about four years now.

1. To put it in perspective, the Maze of the Riddling Minotaur is more common than B10 but it almost never comes with the pen (though you can probaby take one from Blizzard Pass). Similar to the pen, I can imagine most players thinking the B10 chits were useless and took less care with their whereabouts and condition.

2. With a lot of this stuff, the good copies tend to be kept by collectors so the supply of the harder to find stuff has dried up (saving multiple copies; not turning copies over like casual buyers). The R's don't come out nearly as often as in years past, for instance. So I don't think the rarity of the B10 chits is any different than the trend.

Next