ST1 Up the Garden Path for sale
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 912, 3, 4, 5, 6789
Author


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:19 am 
 

johnhuck wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:yeah i will pretty much second that - most i can afford really is about £750, so that rules me totally out. (hope Amanda don't read this :? ) :D


I don't really agree with this policy. If you want an item, bid as much as you're prepared to pay. Whether you do this at the start or at the end of an auction is entirely up to you.

I had to re-read this a few times to see how Amanda's (presumably killjoy32's wife?) policies were any of your business, John. :P

But I agree with your point to some extent.  If it's something I definitely want, but can't afford, I'll bid up to my max.  If it's only a "nice to have", I usually back off if I meet significant resistance, and particularly if I recognize Acaeum bidders.

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:25 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:I had to re-read this a few times to see how Amanda's (presumably killjoy32's wife?) policies were any of your business, John. :P

But I agree with your point to some extent. If it's something I definitely want, but can't afford, I'll bid up to my max. If it's only a "nice to have", I usually back off if I meet significant resistance, and particularly if I recognize Acaeum bidders.


lol yeah its my girlfriend....prb sweetened her up for now as i've just bought her a ring for her birthday...shit man i could bought like tons o things for that (at that point i really did get a left hook to the jaw from her  :oops: )

anyway...enough of this already.....whats the latest then?



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 219
Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2015
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:17 am 
 

OK, so you've made it all really intersesting on the ebay question.

But, be honest, isn't a lot of the reason for putting on ebay that it will be much more interesting for you guys (who can't afford to get involved) to watch!!!
I definitely understand the trust/safety aspect though.....
Decisions.... decisions.....  But a decision will be made soon (promise)
Cheers all....
 Jon

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:38 am 
 

jonjhargreaves wrote:OK, so you've made it all really intersesting on the ebay question.

But, be honest, isn't a lot of the reason for putting on ebay that it will be much more interesting for you guys (who can't afford to get involved) to watch!!!
I definitely understand the trust/safety aspect though.....
Decisions.... decisions..... But a decision will be made soon (promise)
Cheers all....
Jon

Jon, in the end it is most certainly left up to you. As much as I would enjoy viewing the madness of the auction, that is not the reason for my suggestions. I made my above points for 1 reason and 1 reason only, and this is because I believe it is the best and safest way to sell this extrodinary item. Unless as the seller, someone absolutely blew me away with an offer, far higher than any others I received(I am speaking plus $500), then I would let everyone have their shot at it on Ebay. If you don't, you will never know for sure if you could not have done better on the open market. I fail to see anyone's logic insaying that its possible that you could do worse for it on Ebay, as I can guarantee you that anyone who has made a "legitimate" offer here will also be bidding on Ebay., so if you did in fact receive more than 1 offer here for more than $1700, then you most defintiely do no worse on Ebay, by exposing it to a much larger market. Either way, good luck to you in your final decision.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3795
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 25, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:40 am 
 

conehead the barbarian wrote:Hi Jon,

This is a lovely piece and as for the condition, i think its exelent. what would you expect after 15 years of destruction from your mums feather duster. I would like to make an offer but i am short on funds, how about a candle light dinner with me followed by a night of really long, really hard d&d, ill let you be DM. Remember really long and really hard. I do think that this is worth around the $2000 mark.

Hope you sell for lots, so you are rich and can affored that black,silk diomond encrusted cape youve always wanted, good lick

P.S. REALLY long and REALLY hard.


Hey Maxwell, if that IS you, when are you gonna put up some more rares?  :D

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5625
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 23, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:03 pm 
 

He absolutely COULD do worse. eBay fees. I'm surprised at you guys. If he eBays it and some no-namer comes in from left field, wins it by $5, and makes it disappear off the face of the earth, I will laugh. I am getting the distinct impression that some people here just want to see the frigging ST1 circus on eBay.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:14 pm 
 

Deadlord36 wrote:He absolutely COULD do worse. eBay fees. I'm surprised at you guys. If he eBays it and some no-namer comes in from left field, wins it by $5, and makes it disappear off the face of the earth, I will laugh. I am getting the distinct impression that some people here just want to see the frigging ST1 circus on eBay.

DL36 I totally understand your desire to keep this rare with a known collector, and I can not argue that point whatsoever as you are 100% right.  I do have other concerns about this transaction that keeping it within the eyes of everyone would be beneficial as well, that is my only point.  If you are interested, PM me and I will relay my concerns.  :wink:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:41 pm 
 

Even if it sells for $1750, the ebay fees are only $38.06.  Plus listing fees which could be as little as 25 cents with a 99 cent opening bid.

The paypal fees are going to be there regardless of if he sells privately or on ebay (unless some other payment arrangements are made).


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:16 pm 
 

well anyway - i have made him an offer and also offered to go and collect it in person and pay cash. might not be quite as much as everyone else is offering (ie $2000), but no charges or hassle involved, so thats the best i can do/offer :)

Al



  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:17 pm 
 

Deadlord36 wrote:I am getting the distinct impression that some people here just want to see the frigging ST1 circus on eBay.


Funny, I get the distinct impression many of the private-sale advocates are desperately trying to avoid the open competition of eBay ... :?

I just don't see how opening up the bidding to a worldwide audience of millions could possibly be a negative. And, to paraphrase Clarkie, there is  zero possibility of a flop here ... unless every single one of the folks PM-ing huge offers can't back it up by actually following through. Plus, eBay offers "flop insurance" on any auction: reserve pricing.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I will say that I do enjoy observing cut-throat bidding wars and last-second snipes (especially when I'm the seller) on eBay. An ST1 would be a circus, and I must plead guilty — I would love to see it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:39 pm 
 

Oh for Dragon Kinds sake... please let this sniping on the Acaeum stop....
E-Bay the damned thing already...

FWIW: I also feel that E-Bay would be a win-win for both the collecting community and for the seller.

So what if the ST-1 DOES disappear into "The Unknown Collector's" bookcase, or safe? If YOU (broadly stated) do not want that to happen, then YOU should bid higher than "The Unknown Collector" does yourself....

Of course the eventual buyer of the ST-1 will have far more competition from the world wide web than if the Module was sold exclusively through PMing on the Acaeum, which IMO is the underlying reason behind the negative comments for selling on E-Bay.

Besides, I have all of BadMike's money now and it is burning a big hole in my britches..... 8O  8O
Hey!! A guys gotta start his second collection sometime and what better item to begin with than an ST-1 :?: ..... 8)


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:52 pm 
 

*looks to the post above* :roll:

Aneoth you're quite the character.  :lol:

My kinda guy 8)


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:57 pm 
 

One other thing I did want to mention about the sale of this item, is that there seems to be a connotation that because I as well as others not participating in the bidding of this item, somehow don't have valid opinions about this because we are not bidding. I wonder why that would be the case, as I would figure that would render our opinion neutral as we have absolutely no stake in how this auction ends up. I actually resent that connotation. Truthfully if I really wanted to, I could WIN this item. Being that I do not have the desire at this time to drop $2k on it does not invalidate my opinion or any other on its how we think it should be sold. I can understand Frank's desire to keep in the community, but that so far is the only valid reason to keep it off Ebay. *points to BTB's post about fees*


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 299
Joined: Jun 07, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 14, 2008
Location: OHIO

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:15 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:Someone please point out one benefit of eBaying it.


I can think of three:

1. Competition. It's one thing to sit back and let a bunch of PM offers come in, but it's quite another to post a super-rare item on eBay (one of the world's great public forums) and let potential buyers compete against one another in an open arena where anyone, at any time, can influence events. In a case such as the elusive ST1, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the competitive juices would be flowing — much to the benefit of the seller.

2. Not every collector visits the Acaeum. It's shocking, I know, but it's true. Some have never heard of it, some aren't interested, some don't like it, and some are lurkers, all of which adds up to an important consideration — the 460-odd registered members of these forums do not represent the entirety of the D&D collecting spectrum, no matter how much we might wish otherwise.

Or, to look at it from the other angle: eBay has 135 million registered users, and that's a pretty big pool to draw from. Who knows how many of them — maybe not even serious D&D collectors — might be willing to take a shot at an ST1?

3. Seller's market. This goes hand-in-hand with #2 and could probably be classified as #2B, but it's worth mentioning. Given the fact that sellers seem to be raking it in lately — a trend mentioned time and again in various threads here — why would you not take a chance on what some of those 135 million users might be willing to pay? These things tend to be cyclical, but for now, anyway, it's good to be an eBay seller.

Now, granted, eBay (and PayPal, if used) does generate fees, and there's no way around those. Those voting for a private sale have a valid point when they criticize such fees — eBay might be a lot of things, but one thing it isn't is free. So, to be fair, that must be considered.

And, again, I'll close with two disclaimers: first, although I feel strongly that eBay is the way to go, this is just my two coppers; second, I'm not trying to pull off some sort of cute deal or eBay coup. I won't be bidding by either the PM or eBay method.


Agreed in totality.

Man..if you do not put it up on Ebay, you and all of the private bidders are fooling yourself.

Simply put, put the reserve at the highest private offer plus the total cost of all of the fees!!!  If the sale does not hit the reserve...what have  you lost?  You could also STILL decide to sell the thing to whoever the highest bidder was on Ebay EVEN if the reserve is not met........

What a silly little discussion this has turned out to be.


May Eru's light shine upon you always.

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:23 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:I can understand Frank's desire to keep in the community, but that so far is the only valid reason to keep it off Ebay. *points to BTB's post about fees*

Certainly not the only valid reason, as I noted on the previous page.

Aside from the potential for a dodgy buyer or a sale that doesn't quite reach its potential, the seller can take 100% of any seriously high offer going rather than merely one bid interval above the second bid. (And there is certainly the possibility that ST1s have sold for /more/ in private sales than the highest observed on eBay, in which case the eBay realisation history might well hold back the price. Malcolm and a few others should know the answer to that...).
Those /are/ still valid reasons, IMHO.

I thought I had the bidding lists for the past two ST1 sales tucked around, but can't find those just now. Would have invited any other high bidders over here, but am fairly certain the majority are already on the board, or else are lurking.

Still just 01.5-02 cents, of course.

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:27 pm 
 

morgansurname wrote:Simply put, put the reserve at the highest private offer plus the total cost of all of the fees!!! If the sale does not hit the reserve...what have you lost? You could also STILL decide to sell the thing to whoever the highest bidder was on Ebay EVEN if the reserve is not met........

What a silly little discussion this has turned out to be.

A high reserve /can/ certainly be a bad idea, if it's not met.
People may well hedge, hold back on the final push, or otherwise think the seller is being "over-optimistic"; which does indeed appear to have been the case with the most recent black folder PotVQ sale.

Of course, if two people here who don't really want the mod are willing to put in $1,700 on a 99 cent opening to "start things rolling", that's up to them.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 517
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 07, 2007
Location: windy south florida

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:28 pm 
 

Bclarkie Wrote:

One other thing I did want to mention about the sale of this item, is that there seems to be a connotation that because I as well as others not participating in the bidding of this item, somehow don't have valid opinions about this because we are not bidding. I wonder why that would be the case, as I would figure that would render our opinion neutral as we have absolutely no stake in how this auction ends up. I actually resent that connotation. Truthfully if I really wanted to, I could WIN this item. Being that I do not have the desire at this time to drop $2k on it does not invalidate my opinion or any other on its how we think it should be sold. I can understand Frank's desire to keep in the community, but that so far is the only valid reason to keep it off Ebay. *points to BTB's post about fees*


I completely agree clarkie, we don't have one, and I personally wouldn't want to spend more than $500 - $1000 on a lower-grade copy if there is such a thing just for completness.

I still don't understand why this module is so pricy? For the $1,500 to $2 grand you guys are talking about I'd rather have something truly rare like a first print Dwarven or a 1st ed Chain.

Yes the module is rare, but it comes up (iirc :roll: ) about every three to four months.

Quick thread poll:

Do you guys in the UK gang feel a lot of nostalgia for the ST1?

And what's the non-UK'ers opinion?


"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 11, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:47 pm 
 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I still don't understand why this module is so pricy? For the $1,500 to $2 grand you guys are talking about I'd rather have something truly rare like a first print Dwarven or a 1st ed Chain.

Yes the module is rare, but it comes up (iirc :roll: ) about every three to four months.

Ample scope for another few dozen to slowly trickle through the system.
I am well aware there are others around "undeclared"; but in single figures, personally.
The old, rare mods are far less likely to pull any such appearing trick.

My advice to sell now rather than hold was based on that, plus the seller's possible stated interest in diversifying or else just using the money for other RL stuff.
The price for ST1 may well go up, but then other /obvious/ rare D&D items are likely to increase no less strongly and are less "vulnerable" to fluctuations in hype (at present, it's the only UK item with both high hype and high $) or new market discoveries.

No certainties in any of this, of course...

invincibleoverlord wrote:Quick thread poll:
Do you guys in the UK gang feel a lot of nostalgia for the ST1?

Not particularly. That I, too, can remember them being bought in bulk probably doesn't help, though! :?

First Chainmail or either of the "first print" OD&D sets win hands down.
Black folder PotVQ, Inverness, Tamo, DG, etc., are still ahead, too.

*g*. Sorry, no UK items there...
OK, give me a complete run of Owl & Weasels, a stack of fanzines, a nice minty 1st print GW MM and Basic Book, then, for "nostalgia".

(Matching "nostalgia" to $ was never an easy trick! ;))

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 219
Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2015
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:10 pm 
 

OK everyone,
I've decide to go for the private sale.
Actually from the serious bidders, about half would have preffered ebay, so a split there too.
In selling this item privately, I will take payment by PayPal (or some other similar method that places $$$ (sorry £££) in my bank account.
I must be convinced that any extra costs (except PayPal) are met by the buyer.  
Provided we can reach agreement, then the best offer made by this Sunday Evening (my time) - 17th April will be getting my ST1.
If we can't reach agreement then I will place it on ebay (probably!?)

Can I again say, I don't want anyone buying this ST1 to feel disappointed when they open the package - I have been as up front as I can be and if anyone needs further information, scans etc. I will answer all questions as honestly as I am able.

OK and the bit you've been waiting for....
Yes, I have had a superb offer well in excess of $2000, please only contact me if you feel you are able to bid very high!

BID BID BID BID BID - You could make my holiday for me and the family even more special!!!!!!!

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:11 pm 
 

I still have yet to hear a reasonable explanation for why someone who  doesn't plan on bidding on this item have a valid opinion.  :?  I also can't figure out why so many buyers are so feckin concerned about the sellers fees, and no one has answered the question either.  I think I addressed the highest price argument in my previous fee with
"blowing me away with an offer"
As far as using the reserve price scaring bidders away or causing the non-sale of the item, I think the most recent PotVQ auction kind of settles that, because the item sold anyway IIRC. :?


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 912, 3, 4, 5, 6789