ST1 Up the Garden Path for sale
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:18 am 

There are some potential bidders who don't frequent the forums (at least not as registered users)

thefantasymuseum

beardedtoad

theshield2000

They all come to mind.  I am sure there are others.  That's not to say a private deal isn't a good idea - just that there are some possible serious bidders who might otherwise miss out.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:53 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:There are some potential bidders who don't frequent the forums (at least not as registered users)

thefantasymuseum

beardedtoad

theshield2000

They all come to mind. I am sure there are others. That's not to say a private deal isn't a good idea - just that there are some possible serious bidders who might otherwise miss out.

newest person to just join the acaeum - tfm...could that be thefantasymuseum ? :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:24 am 

I'd like to once again go against the grain and say, other then the fees he would be paying, what would be the other possible downfalls of putting it on Ebay. I cant see any. :?  Realistically if he puts it on Ebay, what is the most in fees he is going to pay $50-$100 all told.  That would be worth it to me to be able to make the transaction as secure as possible for both parties once again.

Disclaimer: Although I am interested in this item, there is no way in hell that I will be able to afford it at thsi point and thus I will not be making any offers or bids.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:39 am 

bclarkie wrote:Disclaimer: Although I am interested in this item, there is no way in hell that I will be able to afford it at thsi point and thus I will not be making any offers or bids.

yeah i will pretty much second that - most i can afford really is about £750, so that rules me totally out. (hope Amanda don't read this  :? ) :D

I still reckon ebay is best as you advertise it to the whole world and anyone can have a go. seems stupid imo to PM it to a select few where you could realise it in a much bigger way. so there are fees...well i think its worth it to have some protection (well what protection IS provided anyway)...than none if you sell it privately. for a private, something of that magnitude should be done in person imo.

in the end, its up to jon. its his item and his money and he has to live with it one way or the other afterwards :)

oh what fun :)

Al

ps i guarantee you that within an hour of it going on ebay...the bid will be at least £750 anyway, so thats almost $1400.00 there already....so that only leaves the real serious chappies then :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:08 am 

Just as a follow up to my previous post about putting it on Ebay. As a matter of point I can only think of 1 reason why a buyer would be interested in doing a private sale, and that would be because they think that they could get the item for less than market value. Realistically, everything so far points exactly in that direction. Jon has stated he has already received several private offers for over $1700.00, yet people keep posting publicly that he would get over $2k. :? Like I said before, Ebay will allow everyone to put their money where their mouth is.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:12 am 

bclarkie wrote:Disclaimer: Although I am interested in this item, there is no way in hell that I will be able to afford it at thsi point and thus I will not be making any offers or bids.

killjoy32 wrote:yeah i will pretty much second that - most i can afford really is about £750, so that rules me totally out. (hope Amanda don't read this :? ) :D

I don't really agree with this policy. If you want an item, bid as much as you're prepared to pay. Whether you do this at the start or at the end of an auction is entirely up to you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bidding on an auction that you don't expect to win providing that if you do win you are happy to pay the price you bid. I do this on loads of auctions in the hope than everyone else misses it, forgets about it, sniping software fails, etc. Most of the time I don't win. But occasionally I pick up something much cheaper than I expected. (Alan's Greyhawk was a near miss).

I don't expect to win this ST1 if it ends up on eBay. But I will be bidding. And in the unlikley event of a win, I will happily hand over my money. I certainly won't be lying down and waiting for the "winners" to get a clear run to the line. :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:20 am 

One last post on this, to address the possible Ebay flop. How can several people here submit a private offer for $1700 today, yet next week not have the same $1700 to bid on that on Ebay. I can't figure that out. :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:21 am 

yeah i think you hit it just right there jon...that was what i was TRYING to say but didnt really :D

yeah you missed out on a nice greyhawk there...went quite cheap that imo...the buyer will be very happy with that. thats something i always find over here tho...them books never seem to go much. mind you its prb my crap picture taking :)

there were 17 watchers too!!! bah i think they were watching the tv or something cos they certainly werent watching my item!! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:19 am 

johnhuck wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:yeah i will pretty much second that - most i can afford really is about £750, so that rules me totally out. (hope Amanda don't read this :? ) :D

I don't really agree with this policy. If you want an item, bid as much as you're prepared to pay. Whether you do this at the start or at the end of an auction is entirely up to you.

I had to re-read this a few times to see how Amanda's (presumably killjoy32's wife?) policies were any of your business, John. :P

But I agree with your point to some extent.  If it's something I definitely want, but can't afford, I'll bid up to my max.  If it's only a "nice to have", I usually back off if I meet significant resistance, and particularly if I recognize Acaeum bidders.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:25 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I had to re-read this a few times to see how Amanda's (presumably killjoy32's wife?) policies were any of your business, John. :P

But I agree with your point to some extent. If it's something I definitely want, but can't afford, I'll bid up to my max. If it's only a "nice to have", I usually back off if I meet significant resistance, and particularly if I recognize Acaeum bidders.

lol yeah its my girlfriend....prb sweetened her up for now as i've just bought her a ring for her birthday...shit man i could bought like tons o things for that (at that point i really did get a left hook to the jaw from her  :oops: )

anyway...enough of this already.....whats the latest then?

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:17 am 

OK, so you've made it all really intersesting on the ebay question.

But, be honest, isn't a lot of the reason for putting on ebay that it will be much more interesting for you guys (who can't afford to get involved) to watch!!!
I definitely understand the trust/safety aspect though.....
Decisions.... decisions.....  But a decision will be made soon (promise)
Cheers all....
 Jon

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:38 am 

jonjhargreaves wrote:OK, so you've made it all really intersesting on the ebay question.

But, be honest, isn't a lot of the reason for putting on ebay that it will be much more interesting for you guys (who can't afford to get involved) to watch!!!
I definitely understand the trust/safety aspect though.....
Decisions.... decisions..... But a decision will be made soon (promise)
Cheers all....
Jon

Jon, in the end it is most certainly left up to you. As much as I would enjoy viewing the madness of the auction, that is not the reason for my suggestions. I made my above points for 1 reason and 1 reason only, and this is because I believe it is the best and safest way to sell this extrodinary item. Unless as the seller, someone absolutely blew me away with an offer, far higher than any others I received(I am speaking plus $500), then I would let everyone have their shot at it on Ebay. If you don't, you will never know for sure if you could not have done better on the open market. I fail to see anyone's logic insaying that its possible that you could do worse for it on Ebay, as I can guarantee you that anyone who has made a "legitimate" offer here will also be bidding on Ebay., so if you did in fact receive more than 1 offer here for more than $1700, then you most defintiely do no worse on Ebay, by exposing it to a much larger market. Either way, good luck to you in your final decision.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:40 am 

conehead the barbarian wrote:Hi Jon,

This is a lovely piece and as for the condition, i think its exelent. what would you expect after 15 years of destruction from your mums feather duster. I would like to make an offer but i am short on funds, how about a candle light dinner with me followed by a night of really long, really hard d&d, ill let you be DM. Remember really long and really hard. I do think that this is worth around the $2000 mark.

Hope you sell for lots, so you are rich and can affored that black,silk diomond encrusted cape youve always wanted, good lick

P.S. REALLY long and REALLY hard.

Hey Maxwell, if that IS you, when are you gonna put up some more rares?  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:03 pm 

He absolutely COULD do worse. eBay fees. I'm surprised at you guys. If he eBays it and some no-namer comes in from left field, wins it by $5, and makes it disappear off the face of the earth, I will laugh. I am getting the distinct impression that some people here just want to see the frigging ST1 circus on eBay.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:14 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:He absolutely COULD do worse. eBay fees. I'm surprised at you guys. If he eBays it and some no-namer comes in from left field, wins it by $5, and makes it disappear off the face of the earth, I will laugh. I am getting the distinct impression that some people here just want to see the frigging ST1 circus on eBay.

DL36 I totally understand your desire to keep this rare with a known collector, and I can not argue that point whatsoever as you are 100% right.  I do have other concerns about this transaction that keeping it within the eyes of everyone would be beneficial as well, that is my only point.  If you are interested, PM me and I will relay my concerns.  :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:41 pm 

Even if it sells for $1750, the ebay fees are only $38.06.  Plus listing fees which could be as little as 25 cents with a 99 cent opening bid.

The paypal fees are going to be there regardless of if he sells privately or on ebay (unless some other payment arrangements are made).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:16 pm 

well anyway - i have made him an offer and also offered to go and collect it in person and pay cash. might not be quite as much as everyone else is offering (ie $2000), but no charges or hassle involved, so thats the best i can do/offer :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:17 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I am getting the distinct impression that some people here just want to see the frigging ST1 circus on eBay.

Funny, I get the distinct impression many of the private-sale advocates are desperately trying to avoid the open competition of eBay ... :?

I just don't see how opening up the bidding to a worldwide audience of millions could possibly be a negative. And, to paraphrase Clarkie, there is  zero possibility of a flop here ... unless every single one of the folks PM-ing huge offers can't back it up by actually following through. Plus, eBay offers "flop insurance" on any auction: reserve pricing.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I will say that I do enjoy observing cut-throat bidding wars and last-second snipes (especially when I'm the seller) on eBay. An ST1 would be a circus, and I must plead guilty — I would love to see it.

PreviousNext