ST1 Up the Garden Path for sale
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:28 pm 

Jon, I am very happy that it has been so.

I wish to you and your family to enjoy every penny of those $ 2500.

Roughly - if I make the right additions - some 1800 times the investment... not this bad for some sheet of paper!

:wink:

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:30 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:ST1 is currently with international couriers, flying to the US shortly. I believe I got a very good price!

$2500

More than that, I'll leave the buyer to tell you, if they wish.

This will pay for a much needed holiday for the family, amongst other things.
Cheers for all your help and good wishes,

Jon

Indeed, a VERY good price.  Congratulations!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:33 pm 

so who has it then?

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:48 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:ST1 is currently with international couriers, flying to the US shortly. I believe I got a very good price!

$2500

More than that, I'll leave the buyer to tell you, if they wish.

This will pay for a much needed holiday for the family, amongst other things.
Cheers for all your help and good wishes,

Jon
Man...congrats.  Kinda got choked up a little.  Well, fitting end for you.  Too bad all the rest bit the dust to that mom creature we all fear as adults (I recently asked mine about some missing items from my childhood...not to be seen again I am afraid).  Gotta admit the irony that prolly the most valuable item survived.  Enjoy the vacation!!!

And to the winner....lucky dog. :wink:

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:49 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:so who has it then?
Yes, please whoever it is, please come forward and let us know.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:26 pm 

*nods*. Indeed, Jon! :D
Certainly feel it would've been some way short on eBay, since that new "mark" hadn't yet been made.
If it should appear back there at a later date, would be difficult to tell, but $2,500 ain't shoddy by any means. (About five times what I'd pay, anyhow ;))

Might have been a strange way to run an auction, but your detailed photos and honest approach worked to your advantage, IMHO.

=
(Oh, and a well disciplined drawing of the line in the sand there, Alan...).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:44 pm 

harami2000 wrote:(Oh, and a well disciplined drawing of the line in the sand there, Alan...).

heheh ;)

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:52 pm 

Jon, I'll chime in as well: congrats! Even though I was a supporter of the eBay method, there is no denying that you've got some *very* nice "walking-around money" now. I would have enjoyed the eBay circus, though ... :)

At the end of the day, if both buyer and seller are happpy, that's the most important thing. The method used to reach that state of happiness is of less consequence.

Again, congrats! Well played.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:16 pm 

My last post on this one....
So... it finally arrived today in its new home....
Except for despite £68 ($130) worth of postage and insurance, the box arrives battered and ripped.
ST1 survives entact,  I thought I was been a bit OTT placing it in paper, a box, 2 layers of bubble wrap, plenty of tape, a jiffy bag and a final well taped box.  But, by all accounts, this was just enough!
Well, thanks to all of you for your help and advice; its been a great experience.... now, if only a few of you didn't set me off on my private sale with your $1700 -$2000+ bids, we could have all had the fun of ebay! Anyway, I'll put the next one I find in a car boot sale on ebay!! Promise!
Thanks again!
Jon

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:20 pm 

johnhuck wrote:
jonjhargreaves wrote:Games Fair was a 3 day event held at Reading University, I thought it was hosted by TSR UK, but I'm sure others would have more info. it was held in the students union, with accomodation in the halls of residence. It must have been at non college time (either Easter or Summer), I suspect it was Easter. However, I've just spoken to a friend who also went and he is positive we only went twice (86 and 88 ). I suspect he's correct, so that would make it almost certainly Easter 86 that I bought it, as money was no longer a problem come '88! Also, I bought it when the D&D First Quest album had recently come out.

Could it be that it was ready for this Games Fair by Easter 86? It was a very big event at the time. I remember also getting my AD&D Players Handbook signed by E Gary Gygax, which he inscribed Games Fair '86.

If anybody kept their badges from the event, that might help, I seem to remember the 86 had a green dragon cartoon on it and the other one I went to had a red dragon cartoon on it.

I have no doubt that I bought it here, but am now 90%+ sure it was in '86.

The dates can probably be confirmed from old copies of WD. But Easter 1986 seems a bit early. The assumption was that it was first on sale at the National Garden Festival in Stoke-on-Trent. The festival ran from May until October in 1986 I believe. So it would seem unusual that they would be selling it discounted prior to its launch.

But that doesn't mean it didn't happen. If it was a 3 day event and they hadn't sold any, they might have been desperate to get rid such an obvious turkey by day 3.

Did you go to Games Day that year? Could you have picked it up there?

So...  Anyway, I now have access to WD via the truely fabulous WD Back Issues DVD !!!!

For sure I'm now convinced it was Games Fair '86 (April 11-13).  This was a TSR event and this was the year I got EGG to sign my PHB and bought my (just released) First Quest album.  After '86, I didn't go again 'til '88 and that must have been too late (also, I don't think at 17 I'd have gone anywhere near an ST1,  I'd have had the Student Union Bar to spend my money on by then!)

Also...  Checking through the truely fabulous WD Back Issues DVD,  I also came accross a TSR advert for "Bohemian Earspoon", the TSR UK newsletter.  Now I've (my mother chucked out) lost all my copies, but if I remember right, I got this regularly along with my Dragon subscription and I'd have thought this would have detailed ST1 publication etc. in there.  

Jon

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:27 am 

Copies of this truely fabulous DVD are still available in surprisingly small numbers. They can still be found hiding on eBay.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... T&rd=1

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:06 am 

Just out of interest...  

Does anybody actually have any "Bohemian Earspoon"s ?  

I assumed they would be known about, but have not found any mention of them (apart from as a weapon) on the internet.  If anyone has got one and could leave a scan of one that would be great...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:23 am 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Just out of interest...

I assumed they would be known about, but have not found any mention of them (apart from as a weapon) on the internet. If anyone has got one and could leave a scan of one that would be great...

We have some stashed somewhere. If we find them we will list them this Sunday along with some other fanzines.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:35 am 

I received one way back when they were clearing items from The Mill. Original first issue from memory was number 27 with a beholder on the cover (done in very pixelated fashion). Issue number explained in the writing attached, being a joke, and the question being raised of who were the bohemians...and what did they need earspoons for anyway..

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:53 pm 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Just out of interest...

I assumed they would be known about, but have not found any mention of them (apart from as a weapon) on the internet. If anyone has got one and could leave a scan of one that would be great...

Heya Jon, looks like the burnie bros came through for you as promised:

RARE Spoons | eBay

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:29 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Heya Jon, looks like the burnie bros came through for you as promised:

RARE Spoons | eBay

*reads the bit re. TSR-UK Hobby Newsletters ( TSR-UK Hobby Newsletter? ) in their numbering sequence*

Seven issues vs. the previously stated six??

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:02 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

Heya Jon, looks like the burnie bros came through for you as promised:

RARE Spoons | eBay

Hey, I remember these, had at least 4 or 5 of them.  Looks like I got myself a fair few rares at the time I was a young 'un.   :o  - pity they nearly all went the same way!  :cry:

Well....  at least my ST1 survived!   :D

I could have sworn they came on colour paper though, I have distinct thoughts of pale blues and yellows!

Previous