ST1 Up the Garden Path for sale
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 912, 3 ... 789
Author


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 219
Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2015
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:48 pm 
 

I'm currently starting out as a collector.
I hope one day to get my son (age 4) and his friends into playing (after all thats how i started when at age 13, a friends father got us playing and was our DM for the next 5 years).  So, I'm scanning ebay looking for things to buy, for use with him later and also to sell a few odds and sods when I stumble across The Acaeum.  
Well, to say the least, I'm annoyed to find that a crap D&D record, that I vagueley remember playing frisbee with could have made me a few bob!
So, I'm scanning through, and then I see it! ST1 UP THE GARDEN PATH is the single highest price paid for a module.
At this point, my trousers go brown.  After all, my wife and mother conspired between them a few years ago for me to throw a whole load of D&D stuff out.  I know ST1 might be at my mothers (250 miles away!) and have waited patiently for 3 weeks to see whats there and whats not.  
So, earlier on this week I travelled up to see her..... Well, mint boxed battlesystem and modules may have gone, 50 earlyish issues of Dragon, 40 issues of early issues of white dwarf and countless modules and box sets may have gone, but totally randomly, 3 modules only survived: UK2, I12 and an unused copy of ST1 (although with a couple of creases on the cover)

Now, this is the big dilema.  I'm starting collecting for the future (AD&D 1st edition as I already have the rulebooks).  So do I sell this to make money to fund the hobby or do I keep hold of this apparently super rare item?
I think it must be sold, so do I just put it on ebay and hope for the best?
Then theres this lousy exchange rate at the moment, the dollar is worth only a fraction of what it was a year or so ago and  I'm assuming the US is my main market, or am I wrong?

Anyway, thanks to The Acaeum, another ST1 will see the light of day, rather than been thrown away, next time mother does her spring clean!

So, I've moved this post from classifieds to here as I got a huge amount of post in only an hour!  Please feedback to me, especially with how I might list this, especially condition etc.  Looking at it, it looks great!, but there are a couple of spine creases and one big crease (although not breaking the card) in the top right hand corner.  The paper appears very white and has only been scan read.  The corners are fairly sharp, but not perfect.  The spine of the module appears perfect, with no signs of rusting from the staples.  What else will people want to know? see?

Thanks in advance for responses,
Jon Hargreaves[/img]

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:18 pm 
 

We cannot post replies to the Classified section. So I PM'ed you.

You are right that the US would likely be your best market for both buying and selling. Although if I were you I would try to buy (or trade for) as much stuff as I could get from/with dealers in the UK to avoid the high shipping costs.  

In my opinion, and based on your own statements about starting your collection, the ST-1 should be sold, but ONLY if you need the money to fund your new collecting hobby. But, on the other side of the coin, what a wonderful start to an inheritance it would be for the youngun' if you could keep it? But as you said, you could fund a great start to your overall collection with that one sale too.

So, only you can decide how to proceed.

Anyway you decide to go, welcome to the Acaeum, a hearty welcome back to the hobby of D&D, and welcome to the collecting community too.

Aneoth


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:51 pm 
 

jonjhargreaves wrote:I'm currently starting out as a collector.
I hope one day to get my son (age 4) and his friends into playing (after all thats how i started when at age 13, a friends father got us playing and was our DM for the next 5 years). So, I'm scanning ebay looking for things to buy, for use with him later and also to sell a few odds and sods when I stumble across The Acaeum.  
Well, to say the least, I'm annoyed to find that a crap D&D record, that I vagueley remember playing frisbee with could have made me a few bob!
So, I'm scanning through, and then I see it! ST1 UP THE GARDEN PATH is the single highest price paid for a module.
At this point, my trousers go brown. After all, my wife and mother conspired between them a few years ago for me to throw a whole load of D&D stuff out. I know ST1 might be at my mothers (250 miles away!) and have waited patiently for 3 weeks to see whats there and whats not.  
So, earlier on this week I travelled up to see her..... Well, mint boxed battlesystem and modules may have gone, 50 earlyish issues of Dragon, 40 issues of early issues of white dwarf and countless modules and box sets may have gone, but totally randomly, 3 modules only survived: UK2, I12 and an unused copy of ST1 (although with a couple of creases on the cover)

Now, this is the big dilema. I'm starting collecting for the future (AD&D 1st edition as I already have the rulebooks). So do I sell this to make money to fund the hobby or do I keep hold of this apparently super rare item?
I think it must be sold, so do I just put it on ebay and hope for the best?
Then theres this lousy exchange rate at the moment, the dollar is worth only a fraction of what it was a year or so ago and I'm assuming the US is my main market, or am I wrong?

Anyway, thanks to The Acaeum, another ST1 will see the light of day, rather than been thrown away, next time mother does her spring clean!

So, I've moved this post from classifieds to here as I got a huge amount of post in only an hour! Please feedback to me, especially with how I might list this, especially condition etc. Looking at it, it looks great!, but there are a couple of spine creases and one big crease (although not breaking the card) in the top right hand corner. The paper appears very white and has only been scan read. The corners are fairly sharp, but not perfect. The spine of the module appears perfect, with no signs of rusting from the staples. What else will people want to know? see?

Thanks in advance for responses,
Jon Hargreaves[/img]
]

Welcome Jon;

    It's nice the story has a happy ending, so many of these "I had BLANK but my mom threw it away" have the same ending (Like my dad's mom tossing out his 1950's New York Yankee card collection with the rookie Mantle, I still have stomach flops thinking about that.....)
 One option would be to use THIS rare to trade for a stack of OTHER rares, thus giving your collection a kick start.  Then again, you will probably never run across one of these again, you have to decide how much you actually want the item before deciding if it's worth an R-series plus other goodies or whatever.
 Then there is Ebay if you just want the cash. You should use a digital camera, as most people bidding on this item will be anal about condition, and you will never be able to verbally describe it to their satisfaction.  A scan of the cover and interior pages at the very least would be required.  Definitely list on Ebay as you will have the maniacs on this forum beating up each other to get to it. Good Luck!  You should net up to $1000 or so but who knows, what a nice find!

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1879
Joined: Mar 26, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 19, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:08 pm 
 

The other thing you might consider  is what sort of D&D collection do you want? While I would like 'everything' I am realistic enough to realise that this is a dream that will only come true following a lottery win - there are simply too many things that come before D&D in my list of priorities.(Wife and 3 kids kind of take precedence!) However my, possibly achievable, wish list is all standard products released for the Forgotten Realms setting, purely because I love all of the background and narrative that comes with it. So if you just want an enthusiasts D&D collection why dont you put an offer out there - something along the lines of ' swap ST1 for best offer of 1st ed product offered to me by x date' - then just wait for the PM's to come in. THis is a quick and simple way of getting a decent enough insta-collection without any real cost to yourself.
This of course all goes out of the window if you do want a complete collection some day because, lets face it, ST1 will probably only appreciate in value as time passes, and it would be really annoying to have to buy another one at a later date.
Just my take on it - food for thought if nothing else
Carl

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6168
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:30 am 
 

The market is very boyant at the moment, and there seems to be a lot of money around. There are a few UK buyers with a lot of cash looking to buy an ST1, and there are is a lot of money in the pockets of the US collectors as well.

If you are going to post an auction on eBay, the best thing you could do is display good high resolution pictures and an accurate description of the modules condition.

Have you sold stuff on eBay before, or is this new to you?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 219
Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2015
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:14 am 
 

Hi,
Yes I'm currently just starting out selling on ebay.  I have sold a few items (including a second copy of GDQ1-7 thats out there at the moment).  
There have been various comments about pictures, can I put these here?  And is a photo prefered to scans? and what sort of shots would be preferred?
Thanks all, this has been a great warm friendly intro back into D&D community (my last real contact was through UK games fair of the mid to late 80's held at Reading)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:17 am 
 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Hi,
Yes I'm currently just starting out selling on ebay. I have sold a few items (including a second copy of GDQ1-7 thats out there at the moment).
There have been various comments about pictures, can I put these here? And is a photo prefered to scans? and what sort of shots would be preferred?
Thanks all, this has been a great warm friendly intro back into D&D community (my last real contact was through UK games fair of the mid to late 80's held at Reading)


unless your camera is super-duper and does incredible close-up's that are precise and sharp - a scanned image tends to show any flaws in an item very clearly.

if one is parting with a ton of money for something, ppl round here will want to know everything about it and then some...right down to the last speck of dust......and you think i jest? wait & see chummer :D



  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 343
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 28, 2017
Location: Turin, Italy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:38 am 
 

John, first of all welcome in the world of collecting. I really can't give you a better advice than my UK and USA colleagues, but you happen to have a legit "Monster" of a module in rarity.

The choice is simple - either you already have enough money to fund your fledgling collection, and so you don't need the big money such a module would fetch, or else you're just the average Joe (like a lot of us  :) ) who could find those bucks handy.

Remember that you will NEVER find such a thing in the future - except by a combination of incredible luck and overwhelming cost - and that the value of your ST1 would probably rise in the future unless someone discovers a box of mint, shrinked ones lurking somewhere.

Ciao!

Franz


"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

 YIM  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:53 am 
 

Jon

Welcome to the Acaeum.  These might provide some more useful background reading:

ST1 Up the garden Path
ST1 survival rate??
ST1 Auction

Can I also ask you where you got your copy of ST1?  It would be useful for the ongoing research.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  But didn't the last NM copy go for around $2k?

So, depending on whether the creases you mentioned are small spine stress creases or major creases where the module has been folded in half this will probably mean that you're going to get at least $1k in the current market.

The exchange rate simply means that there is more chance that the module will stay in the UK (although that's still a very small chance - start saving David!).  You could wait for the exchange rate to get better to improve your £ return.

But if I had been in your position  :mrgreen: when I stumbled across the Acaeum then I would list in with a small BIN for the benefit of other UK collectors :wink: (someone slap me)   What I meant was, I would hang onto the module for my collection.  Chances are that unless you've got some serious money to throw around this will be the jewel in the crown of your collection.

Longer term who can say what will happen?  Maybe the market is reaching a peak to which it will never return.  Or maybe it will carry on steadily increasing over time.

If you have only recently made the decision to start collecting, then I would take some time to think about what you want to do with ST1.  Maybe six months.  Then see where you are.  Whatever you do don't sell it in summer (I think).  Someone provided some info on the best months to sell and I'm pretty sure that the summer months tended to be a low point.  Although I'm not sure this would apply to ST1.

As far as images go, I would scan the front and back and also take some photos in natural light if possible.  These tend to show any flaws better than in flash.

And don't use eBay picture hosting.  The images need to be big.  So try one of the free image hosting sites such as
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

Good luck.

John.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 160
Joined: Dec 07, 2002
Last Visit: Jun 06, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:08 am 
 

The kind of collectors who would buy an ST1 will probably also have loads of duplicates of all the normal items.

Based on Acaeum prices, you could convert your ST1 into a complete set of 'normal' AD&D and D&D items. And with spare change for some minor semi-rarities.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 219
Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2015
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:30 am 
 

I notice, there is much talk of when and where it was available.  Well, I know that I bought this at Games Fair, Reading, UK in 86 (possibly 87 or 88 - I only went to 3).  It was the last day, late on at the meet, I was 15 at the time, waiting for a lift home.  I visited the TSR stand with the other items I had bought (LP for example!) and due to this had very little money left.  I handed over only about a pound or so for my copy.  The guy there had plenty left and didn't seem to think they had much chance of selling!
I'll see what I can do about the pictures.

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:22 am 
 

Can you remember which month the Games Fair was held? If it was the first half of the year I would be more inclined to guess that it was 1987.

Think long and hard about trading your ST1 for a large set of more common modules.  If you want a set of normal modules, then you will have no problem buying these on eBay.  And by being careful about the auctions you bid on, you can pick them up very cheaply.  Better still, find sellers who are getting rid of their modules in one large lot and place one snipe.  This way you will minimise your P&P and maximise the number of modules per £.  And if you manage to find someone selling in your area, even better, pick them up in person and avoid the P&P charges.

In the meantime, get it bagged and boarded and placed somewhere safe.

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:37 am 
 

Forgot to ask.  Does your mum smoke or have pets?  Or has it been stored in a loft or garage?

What I'm getting at is, does it smell smokey, musty, of pets, etc?

This will detract from the value or leave you with an unhappy buyer if you forget to mention it.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:46 am 
 

. . .  on the other hand you shouldn't feel bad if you want to sell.  A lot of the forum members have been collecting for a long time and have all the "common" items.  If you are really starting from scratch and want to get a nice sized collection going, it will cost you quite a bit in end.  Say you get around $1,200 - 1,500  for the ST1 . . .  you would definitely have a good amount of funds to begin a collection and you could spend money "guilt free" since you are just reinvesting something you sold.  However, once all that money is gone, you will still find that there are many, many other items you might want.  

It all depends on how much money you have to devote, of course, but if you are looking at to "rediscover" D&D and find out what you have been missing over the last 20 years, you may feel happier about a few hundred items rather than 1 module that you are afraid to even touch!

If you ever reach the point where you want an ST1 again (which, logically would be after many years and an ongoing desire to keep collecting) there will be one again . . . sooner or later. . . for a price.


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 219
Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 09, 2015
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:52 am 
 

Games Fair was a 3 day event held at Reading University, I thought it was hosted by TSR UK, but I'm sure others would have more info. it was held in the students union, with accomodation in the halls of residence. It must have been at non college time (either Easter or Summer), I suspect it was Easter. However, I've just spoken to a friend who also went and he is positive we only went twice (86 and 88). I suspect he's correct, so that would make it almost certainly Easter 86 that I bought it, as money was no longer a problem come '88! Also, I bought it when the D&D First Quest album had recently come out.
Could it be that it was ready for this Games Fair by Easter 86? It was a very big event at the time. I remember also getting my AD&D Players Handbook signed by E Gary Gygax, which he inscribed Games Fair '86.
If anybody kept their badges from the event, that might help, I seem to remember the 86 had a green dragon cartoon on it and the other one I went to had a red dragon cartoon on it.
I have no doubt that I bought it here, but am now 90%+ sure it was in '86.

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:18 am 
 

jonjhargreaves wrote:Games Fair was a 3 day event held at Reading University, I thought it was hosted by TSR UK, but I'm sure others would have more info. it was held in the students union, with accomodation in the halls of residence. It must have been at non college time (either Easter or Summer), I suspect it was Easter. However, I've just spoken to a friend who also went and he is positive we only went twice (86 and 88). I suspect he's correct, so that would make it almost certainly Easter 86 that I bought it, as money was no longer a problem come '88! Also, I bought it when the D&D First Quest album had recently come out.
Could it be that it was ready for this Games Fair by Easter 86? It was a very big event at the time. I remember also getting my AD&D Players Handbook signed by E Gary Gygax, which he inscribed Games Fair '86.
If anybody kept their badges from the event, that might help, I seem to remember the 86 had a green dragon cartoon on it and the other one I went to had a red dragon cartoon on it.
I have no doubt that I bought it here, but am now 90%+ sure it was in '86.

The dates can probably be confirmed from old copies of WD.  But Easter 1986 seems a bit early.  The assumption was that it was first on sale at the National Garden Festival in Stoke-on-Trent.  The festival ran from May until October in 1986 I believe.  So it would seem unusual that they would be selling it discounted prior to its launch.

But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  If it was a 3 day event and they hadn't sold any, they might have been desperate to get rid such an obvious turkey by day 3.

Did you go to Games Day that year?  Could you have picked it up there?

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:32 am 
 

Geez, I go home from work and have no internet access due to ISP problems :evil: , and come back to work only to see that I missed out on a new ST1 discovery. 8O Looks like I am little late........... :roll:

BTW, if any US folks have any thoughts of going through Comcast for internet service, DON'T!!! :evil:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:10 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:Geez, I go home from work and have no internet access due to ISP problems :evil: , and come back to work only to see that I missed out on a new ST1 discovery. 8O Looks like I am little late........... :roll:

BTW, if any US folks have any thoughts of going through Comcast for internet service, DON'T!!! :evil:

I also experienced problems last night.
I also have to deal with Comcrap, or is it Concast, I meant .... well crappy Inet services anyway.... :roll:

I think I will soon hand my INET funds over to another provider...


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:30 am 
 

Aneoth wrote:I also experienced problems last night.
I also have to deal with Comcrap, or is it Concast, I meant .... well crappy Inet services anyway.... :roll:

I think I will soon hand my INET funds over to another provider...

I hope yours gets corrected a lot faster than mine. I haven't had any real connectivity since Sunday night, but they are coming out to fix the problem tomorrow afternoon. :evil: Somehow I am not optimistic. :roll:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:30 am 
 

jonjhargreaves wrote:I notice, there is much talk of when and where it was available. Well, I know that I bought this at Games Fair, Reading, UK in 86 (possibly 87 or 88 - I only went to 3). It was the last day, late on at the meet, I was 15 at the time, waiting for a lift home. I visited the TSR stand with the other items I had bought (LP for example!) and due to this had very little money left. I handed over only about a pound or so for my copy. The guy there had plenty left and didn't seem to think they had much chance of selling!
I'll see what I can do about the pictures.


My god, what a scene.  Time machine, anyone?  :D

  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 912, 3 ... 789