Crimson Cutlass
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:32 am 

I recently came across a copy of the game Crimson Cutlass from 1979.   I have not had a chance to read any of it yet as it is the collection of another gamer who is asking if I would like to purchase anything.   The reason I ask is that I am interested in the game, but want to give him a fair price.   Neither of us knows anything about it.   It appears complete and has never been played as best as I can tell.   Any thoughts?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:48 am 

Guido-the-Gypsy wrote:I recently came across a copy of the game Crimson Cutlass from 1979.  I have not had a chance to read any of it yet as it is the collection of another gamer who is asking if I would like to purchase anything.  The reason I ask is that I am interested in the game, but want to give him a fair price.  Neither of us knows anything about it.  It appears complete and has never been played as best as I can tell.  Any thoughts?

an offer to BIN for $10 is prb a good start as any :D

there is this one but it says 1989... The Inside Scoop on Gaming - RPGnet or this: http://www.rpg-index.de/gamedetail.php?id=771

or this... RPG Encyclopedia Entries: C

i also spotted an item, where someone was selling book one for $1 ! i think there are three books?

was it these ppl who made the game? :

Better Games
6003 Bullard Suite 9-122, New Orleans, LA 70128 (USA)
PO Box 11424, Burbank, CA 91510-1424 (USA)
Former makers of Avengers of Justice and many other RPG's that were published in the "Space Gamer" and "Fantasy Gamer" magazines. Related people included Philip Adler and Scott Haring (?).

well thats about all i could dig up that sounded half-decent...sorry :)

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:00 pm 

That's the game.   I agree that $10.00 is a fair price.    Looks pretty fun and easy.   Thanks for the RPG encyclopedia websites.  Very handy!! :D

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:24 am 

While not a lot of people have played Crimson Cutlass, it's one of my favorite games.  I first started playing it (with the authors George "Red" Rahm and Joseph "Conrad" Hillmer) back in 86.  The game hadn't been published officially yet, but we they did supply stapled photo copies.

The game was only published in the three book format, and sold originally at $32.  However everyone who has played it with me insists that the game is worth far more.  Unfortunately, the game is not available anywhere, and I have had people offer me good $ for my extra copies (no sale).  

Currently, the "Better Games Referee Collective (mainly Conrad and Red)" run a website (Space Gamer/Fantasy Gamer Home).  As part of the collective, we show up at some of the Los Angeles conventions and run Crimson Cutlass, Battle Born (Era Ten) and Barony (Rogue Swords of the Empire) for any who would play.  

If you end up picking up a copy of Cutlass, send me a note, and I can send you some of the extra tables that we have developed playing over the years.  If you don't end up buying it, let me know who is selling it, and I'll buy it from them, as I know a lot of people who would want a copy.

A~

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:31 am 

Hola Antfly---

If you think the authors would be interested in publishing the game professionally, and are still in touch with them, please have them contact me.  Tadashi and I are actively looking for additional games to publish.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/