White Bear & Red Moon
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:41 pm 

Hello again!
I have a copy of White Bear & Red Moon, (first edition, I believe) unpunched in the original envelope.  Overall excellent shape, with a Tunnels & Trolls supplement.  What can I expect to get?

I also have a rough copy of Empire of the Petal Throne (TSR version, by Professor M.A.R. Barker ).  The box is severely damaged, the book has some water stains, but the maps are still excellent.
Same question.

I still haven't decided to sell my 2nd printing D&D yet.  Best offer over $25,000 US gets it. (never hurts to ask):wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:52 pm 

25,001 pennys is my offer

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:54 pm 

Think I saw a complete White Bear Red Moon go for around $60 a few months ago? Anyone else remember better than I?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:19 pm 

You mean this one? cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

I have the original "DO NOT BEND" envelope.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:47 pm 

Yes that is it . . . not quite as long ago as I thought.  But, who can tell the days apart anyway. . .   :)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:08 pm 

DanZ wrote:I also have a rough copy of Empire of the Petal Throne (TSR version, by Professor M.A.R. Barker ). The box is severely damaged, the book has some water stains, but the maps are still excellent.

What's the going price of a beat up EotPT??  I'd love to have a working copy :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:13 pm 

Hi DanZ -

The price for your WB&RM will depend on the printing... I have a first edition, 3rd printing which is unpunched and in NM condition, for which I paid $80 last year. At the same time, there was a first printing up in similar condition which went for $155.

I also have a 1st printing rulebook on its own - from memory the 3rd print rulebook was done more professionally, while the 1st print was mimeograph in multiple colours.

Hard to say how much yours would go for... in the original Chaosium envelope I'd say it would probably break $100, definately more if it is a 1st print.

Regards

Mike

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:08 pm 

This one seems to be printed with brown ink for the most part (although there are other colors in various places),  and clean enough that it looks professionally printed.

Thanks!

draco76 wrote:
25,001 pennys is my offer

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:39 pm 

DanZ wrote:Hello again!
I also have a rough copy of Empire of the Petal Throne (TSR version, by Professor M.A.R. Barker ). The box is severely damaged, the book has some water stains, but the maps are still excellent.

One in good condition could go as high as $150, but in poor condition, probably only $40. It depends on how bad the water stains are.

Brett Slocum

Game and book collector

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:23 pm 

DanZ wrote:Hello again!
I have a copy of White Bear & Red Moon, (first edition, I believe) unpunched in the original envelope. Overall excellent shape, with a Tunnels & Trolls supplement. What can I expect to get?

Trolls & Trollkin?

DanZ wrote:You mean this one? cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1

I have the original "DO NOT BEND" envelope.

*clips image from that auction*

That one's a second print; sold to a new (newly rich?) RQ collector with an interesting approach to bidding...

*sticks finger in the air*
The first print is probably rarer by a factor of 5-1, or so.
And very few will be "complete" because of that questionnaire/return card to pick up a freebie copy of WF #1.

1ed Rules booklet;
(I do like that wrap-around cover by Steve Swenston; dated Oct/75)

Shipping envelope (scan truncated);

(Doesn't help that 海外に出て働きたい看護師の、日々是決戦!! doesn't actually explicitly state which printing is which, as far as I can see)

=
I paid $88 for that one and had a couple of offers immediately afterwards (usually a good sign).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5933380670

There doesn't appear to be such a huge markup for unpunched, totally-mint WBRMs as many other similar games.
Think that's possibly indicative of a broad-based support in this case, with many people just wanting to get a hold of a copy; any half-decent one.

Agreed with Mike <mdr003>: as described, probably $100-125 would be safe enough if it's a 1st ed, $75-90 or thereabouts for a 2nd ed.
(But if that <firen> bidder doesn't have a copy of the 1st ed. yet and someone bids them up, could go to $200+ on that phps, IMHO).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:36 pm 

I've listed my copy of Empire of the Petal Throne:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

and White Bear and Red Moon
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Bid up, guys! :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:57 pm 

*sticks finger in the air*
The first print is probably rarer by a factor of 5-1, or so.
And very few will be "complete" because of that questionnaire/return card to pick up a freebie copy of WF #1.

You mean this one?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:38 am 

DanZ wrote:

You mean this one?
[ Image ]

That's the one. :D
Had thought it was referenced as a questionnaire card, before, but can't find that ref. off-hand.
(As noted, is a good indication that the print run for WF#1 surely must have been a lot more than 25 copies).

=
btw. Might be an idea to include images of items for appraisal (like you did for your OD&D set) rather than posting that card, alone, after having listed on eBay. ;)

How good is the lighting in that photo?
The rules book should be nearly pure white if it's in mint condition; and showing the envelope & return card in the image certainly wouldn't have hurt, IMO.
There should be some reference sheets around somewhere, too?

"Unpunched" usually refers to the whole card, rather than the individual strips.
The joins between the strips are extremely easily broken compared with those between each of the tokens.

(Heh. Just realised that was a "boring" sheet of tokens to scan. Should've done the one with the Dragonewts...).

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:27 am 

Very cool harami! Thanks for posting the pics.
I for one, would like to see those Dragonewts....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:29 am 

Thanks for the info and tips. I added more photos to the listing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/ ... heets1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/ ... heets2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/ ... heets3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/ ... velope.jpg

I don't know what's up with my camera, but there are no spots on the inside front cover! (must be my other game).

The cover is white, the photo was taken under florescent lighting.

btw. Might be an idea to include images of items for appraisal (like you did for your OD&D set) rather than posting that card, alone, after having listed on eBay.

Sorry.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:03 pm 

Danz wrote:
btw. Might be an idea to include images of items for appraisal (like you did for your OD&D set) rather than posting that card, alone, after having listed on eBay.

Sorry.

Hey, no probs; even though that comment of mine about the reply card felt as though it had been turned into a marketing-pitch in that context. :P

Seriously though; am more than happy to see people get decent money for their hoarded treasures. :)
If you'd sent that digital photo beforehand I'd've queried what was up with the colors: and it quite probably is the lighting. :(
Showing what appeared to be a somewhat yellowed book with a backdrop that looks a garage might turn a few people off bidding very high; i.e. discoloration = stored in damp environment and "aged".
If the book's white and in excellent condition, no reason why it shouldn't look white in the photo and have that stated very clearly...
(As you know, many people seem to say "excellent condition", etc., alongside pics of somewhat battered items... Is definitely a problem that, for sellers with strict grading).

Good to see all those other pics, now. ;)
Same with the envelope too, with regards coloration?
btw. The creases on that are to be expected: it is a large envelope and would be hoping a lot to see that in mint condition, as well!

Anyhow; would certainly advise great care for the lighting and backdrop if/when you come to eBay your 2nd print OD&D set...

The other obvious reasons you might possibly not get top $ would be that you've listed as U.S. only, or if the reserve is set very high (as was the "problem" with that recent PotVQ)...

Just my 02 cents throughout, anyhow.
Best wishes for the sale... :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:13 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Very cool harami! Thanks for posting the pics.
I for one, would like to see those Dragonewts....

"As you wish, so be it", Aneoth! :D

(Although I'd better make that the last, in case I get done for breaching copyright ;)).

(or in 3-d: Products | Moon Design Publications )

There are still Dragons, Dwarves, Puppeteers, Ironhooves, Cragspiders, Trolls, Giants, Assassins, various other legions, etc., etc., to go... :P

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:29 pm 

The envelope is yellow, or at least the color of your standard shipping envelope.

What I really need to do is stop listing auctions late at night. :)
Here's another photo that is more color balanced.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/ ... WBRMUP.jpg

Next