warriors & warlocks
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:15 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:. . . Back to the subject of Games for Young People . . . .

On the subject of board games, I only recently found out that, when playing Monopoly, you're NOT SUPPOSED to try to win.  I won hands down against the wife and parents, and was criticized for not playing for the sake of fun, but to win.

Is there any other way to play monopoly than "to win"??  8O

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:17 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:. . . Back to the subject of Games for Young People . . . .

On the subject of board games, I only recently found out that, when playing Monopoly, you're NOT SUPPOSED to try to win. I won hands down against the wife and parents, and was criticized for not playing for the sake of fun, but to win.

Is there any other way to play monopoly than "to win"?? 8O

You might want to let them know that it isn't fun unless you win. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:39 am 

Monopoly is a terrible game anyway.  It's pretty obvious who is going to win after three trips around the board, unless you're playing with major house rules.  A far better game is Sid Sackson's Acquire.  It's a shame that almost every US family's attic/basement contains a copy of Monopoly but not Acquire.  No wonder many people stop playing games when they become "adults."   :?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:20 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Is there any other way to play monopoly than "to win"?? 8O

We used to play it not to lose.  As soon as the first person got knocked out the game was over.  The loser made drinks and got some more snacks and then we started again.  Made for a quicker game.  And it was quite funny how everyone started ganging up on someone as soon as it looked like they might lose.

Previous